Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 08, 2008

Old     (rs1071)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-19-2008, 6:25 PM Reply   
Boat: 2007 Mastercraft X-1, factory stereo with 4 speakers, mp3 player input, sub + amp, NO tower speakers.

So I noticed in my boat this weekend that one of my JL speakers wasn't playing, and after checking the connections at the deck, amp, and speaker I couldn't find out what was wrong with it. I also played with the mp3 jack and fade on the deck.

The problem: The offending speaker (shown below) is outputting sound, but at a barely discernible level (maybe 1/30th of the other speakers). I disconnected the other speakers to figure this out. Again, I have checked all the connections at the speaker and the deck.

For all you stereo gurus, can you help me out?

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-19-2008, 6:54 PM Reply   
bad speaker or perhaps amp channel. Could be reversed polarity, but that typically wouldn't mute it as much as you're describing. Does it change volume at all when you move the fader from left to right? Probably not.

One thing to try, though, take the speaker output connections off the amp and then reseat them. Pay particular attention to whether or not you see any bare wire on the leads. If you have just one tiny strand touching the opposite lead, it could do what you're describing without totally screwing up the amp or sending it into protect mode.

Do the JLs connect to a passive crossover box first? If so, check and make sure that the connections are solid there. Good luck!
Old     (04gravitygames)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-19-2008, 6:59 PM Reply   
check the voice coil connection on the speaker
Old     (chikara22)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-19-2008, 7:09 PM Reply   
switch the L and R RCA's on the amp. If the offending speaker works and now the other side doen't, then you have an amp problem. If it still doesn't work but the other side works, speaker problem.

My $.02.

I am in no way an expert. That is what I have done before.
Old     (crushing76)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-19-2008, 7:41 PM Reply   
put another speaker (that you know works properly) on the output end of the speaker cables in question... this will tell you if it is the speaker, or if you need to look elsewhere.
Old     (rs1071)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-20-2008, 3:18 AM Reply   
Good thoughts, thanks guys.