Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       11-16-2012, 8:49 PM Reply   
I'm tired of my lawn's leaves and gumballs and I'm thinking about buying a walk behind lawn vac. There are several brands. Billy Goat, Cub Cadet, Troy Built and others. Some are self propelled and some are not. Anyone have any experience - good or bad with these? I'm not so worried about the branch chipper part, but think I would like to have the bed hose attachment. They are running between $600 and $1200 for what I'm looking at.
Old     (jerasu98)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-17-2012, 1:52 AM Reply   
how about a rake?
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       11-17-2012, 5:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerasu98 View Post
how about a rake?
They don't work on gumballs. However, if I get one with a chipper attachment then I'll be able to chip the wooden handle of my well used rake. Thanks.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-17-2012, 9:39 AM Reply   
Spend more time screwing with them than just raking the leaves with a rake...
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       11-17-2012, 10:07 AM Reply   
I actually could see that. Especially with today's fuel. Thanks. Anybody else buy one and was glad to see it go or unhappy with it's performance getting "sticky" leaves?
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-17-2012, 10:38 AM Reply   
What the heck is a gumball?
Old     (jerasu98)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-17-2012, 10:41 AM Reply   
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       11-18-2012, 11:58 AM Reply   
gumball
Attached Images

Old     (magicr)      Join Date: May 2004       11-18-2012, 4:53 PM Reply   
The dreaded Sycamore!
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       11-19-2012, 7:22 AM Reply   
?

sweet gum?

There are wire frame cylinders designed to pick up gum balls. I have no personal experience with them. For all its litter, the sweet gum is otherwise a good tree. Straight trunk, drought resistant, great fall color.
Old     (magicr)      Join Date: May 2004       11-19-2012, 8:11 AM Reply   
What was I thinking? (gum balls) Sweet gum, makes better sense.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       11-19-2012, 10:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicr View Post
What was I thinking? (gum balls) Sweet gum, makes better sense.
I guess gumball come from when I was a kid, but everyone in this area still call them that. They are a real pain. I get 100s of them and one of my trees was stifled by a huge oak until it was struck a few years ago. Now my Sweetgum tree is taking off. I hate the tree only due to the balls but love the shade and height it already has.

I was looking again last night at videos and stuff. The BillyGoat will pick up cans and bottles (yes bottles!) but it is most expensive.

The leaves are worse this year than in years past. I have wanted a lawn vac for awhile, but the rake was okay and the Sweetgum balls were manageable, but with the growing tree and expanding canopy, it will get worse. Back the the leaves; we had a mild summer and didn't drop leaves in the summer like we usually do. I have as many leaves on the ground now, that I usually do at the end of the fall, and still have as many still left on the trees.

I hadn't seen the wire roller device. I'll check it out. Thanks,
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       11-19-2012, 2:09 PM Reply   
I think they are called, Nut Wizard.

I also wonder if the old-fashioned roller brushes wouldn't work.
Old     (flackpack)      Join Date: Feb 2004       11-19-2012, 2:14 PM Reply   
I highly recommend the Billy Goat. Many years of tree leaf and other vacuming, ours has never failed. It will definitely pick up the pods
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-20-2012, 6:41 AM Reply   
I knew exactly what you where talking about.

When I was a kid I would be using the weed eater and my dad would not be pay attention as usually and run under the Sycamore with the lawn mower and send about 30 gum balls my way, at about 60 mph. I learned real quick to watch where he was at all times.

I still think he was doing it on purpose!!!!
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       11-20-2012, 10:39 AM Reply   
Do you ever go back and read your posts and see grammatical errors or find words you just knew you typed? WOW!

"I guess gumball comes from when I was a kid, but everyone in this area still calls them that. They are a real pain. I get 100s of them and one of my trees was stifled by a huge oak until it was struck by lightning a few years ago."

I may go look at a used Billy Goat today. It is older, but has the hose attachment. $400 OBO.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       11-20-2012, 11:43 AM Reply   
Maybe Im missing something, but wouldn't a good riding mower with a bagger work better? I have a ton of trees in my yard. I just mow the crap out of it and it cleans them up nicely. I also have a ton of acorns and walnuts and it has no trouble picking them up.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       11-20-2012, 4:04 PM Reply   
I do have a rider and it will pick up the leaves, but I don't think it'll pick up the dang gumballs. I just "mowed" my front yard, driveways and a portion of the back yard with my push. My rider though, I have to convert from mulcher to pick up and when I do, I lose about 1" of cut (height). So, since I cut at almost the highest setting all the time, when I switch to "vacuum" it cuts mucho grass. I can't even make one loop without emptying the bag. Unfortunately, my push is also a low cutter so when I mowed part of the back yard, I only hit where it was low and worn already and actually had it on two wheels at one point trying to blend it.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       11-21-2012, 7:31 AM Reply   
ah. You are one of those people that acutally give a crap about their lawn. I get it. I set mine on the lowest setting and scalp that Biotch!