Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (moon)      Join Date: Oct 2008       02-21-2011, 8:43 PM Reply   
I was inspecting my trailer today when I came upon this horrific sight. The crossbar (not sure what it is called) had rusted and split. Is this something that can be repaired or should I start looking for a new trailer. The trailer carries my MB 220V.
Attached Images

Old     (whelchel86)      Join Date: Jan 2011       02-22-2011, 12:21 AM Reply   
I would definitely say it can definitely be repaired but how many other weak spots may be just around the corner? You might want to look into having the whole thing blasted and repainted if you have access to the tools or if you can have it done at an affordable price in your area... I just had my trailer blasted and repainted for under $500 this past October. If not, just that one spot shouldn't cost much and wouldn't be very noticeable to anyone but yourself.
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-22-2011, 6:53 AM Reply   
Looks like there was water in there and then it frooze. I bought a Zieman trailer last year and noticed there were no drain hols at the bottom of those cross arms so I drilled a 1/4" hole in each one. I couldn't beleive how much water came out of the whole I just drilled. I think they are made in Sparks Nevada, maybe they're not worried about the freeze there.

Last edited by nick_in_ssp; 02-22-2011 at 7:00 AM. Reason: change info
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       02-22-2011, 9:44 AM Reply   
Moon, whats up man?

I agree, thats just the obvious damage you see! Who knows whats lurking inside. Look at the lateral split further up the rail! I'd maybe have your insurance adjuster look at it. Depending on your deductible it may be worth getting it replaced. Its going to cost them far less now than it would if it failed at 65mph with a boat on it.
I'd definatly consider it.
Old     (moon)      Join Date: Oct 2008       02-22-2011, 2:17 PM Reply   
Yeah, I'm worried that there may be more spots like this that can't be seen yet.

Newty, I'm definately considering your suggestion since that was exactly what I was thinking while driving to work this morning. Not sure if insurance can help, but it's worth a shot. They covered my trailer when a bearing went out, so who knows?