Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (nathan1pure)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-31-2010, 4:31 PM Reply   
Ok so I have this weird issue with starting my boat. When I turn the key quarter turn, you know the displays come on. Perfect pass beeps and is setting up and I run the blower. So I have full power. No indications of any electrical issue. So I turn the key all the way to start the engine. I hear the clicking noise but it wont fire over?? So I turn the key back and then I try again. Nothing but clicking. Then I turn the key one more time and it fire's up. It is so weird. I thought it might be the starter so a friend of mine yanked it out and the boys at autozone said it works just fine. Any thoughts as to what it could be? Plus my radio cuts off occasionally but I think that is an amp overheating issue. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-31-2010, 4:42 PM Reply   
what does the battery voltage read? could be bad cell in battery . sometimes cranks fine sometimes hit bad cell.
Old     (nathan1pure)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-31-2010, 5:06 PM Reply   
I am running between 11-13. Both batteries are new from last year and the one that cranks from the engine is a optima blue top. I don't think it is the batteries.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-31-2010, 5:16 PM Reply   
11 volts is too low anything below 12.2 and your amp could cut out. did you trickle charge your batteries over this winter or charge them before you went out?
Old     (nathan1pure)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-31-2010, 5:31 PM Reply   
I had this same issue last year before and after I bought the batteries. I did not trickle charge the blue top cause it has never really mattered. It has been a ongoing issue. Unless I have bought back to back bad batteries. Lightning shouldn't strike twice right? I will have it checked again but could it be something else?
Old     (nathan1pure)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-31-2010, 5:32 PM Reply   
I bought the blue top specifically for cranking per the Supra mechanic I used to take it to. That hasn't seemed to make a difference.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-31-2010, 6:15 PM Reply   
Could be the solenoid on the starter. Sometimes the post where the cable from the battery connects gets loose inside the solenoid and won't make a good contact all the time so that might explain the intermittent problem, if you can get any play out of it it's probably time for a new solenoid. I just had this problem with mine, and it worked perfectly when it was out of the boat, not sure why, maybe the jumper cables I was using to give it juice held the post in place.

Does it always start the 3rd time?

Last edited by jtnz; 05-31-2010 at 6:18 PM.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-31-2010, 6:23 PM Reply   
also could be a bad ground . check ground wires for good connection or possible corrosion.that could be reason for voltage loss ie 11volts.
Old     (chikara22)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-31-2010, 7:05 PM Reply   
I had the same problem in my '06 21V. Replaced the starter, no more problem.
Old     (midgetdigit)      Join Date: May 2010       05-31-2010, 7:14 PM Reply   
Check the starter solenoid
Old     (nathan1pure)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-01-2010, 5:23 AM Reply   
Thanks guys. I will check the batteries and connections again. Then I will try and replace the solenoid next.

Jos - its not exactly every 3rd time but it seems like by the 3rd or 4th try if finally cranks. Weird.
Old     (camassanger)      Join Date: Oct 2009       06-01-2010, 7:45 AM Reply   
Is there anything that might be drawing your battery down? Sounds like either bad connection or low battery.
Old     (nathan1pure)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-01-2010, 11:22 AM Reply   
Derek - Nope, I always disconnect my battery cables after a day on the lake for that one reason. I wish it could be that simple.