Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2006

Old     (pdxviperguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-03-2006, 1:45 PM Reply   
So I am wondering how to get the best and largest wake out of the 22ssv supra? What size bags will fit in it as it already has bags? is the best way to go to just change out the existing bags with larger capacity bags? I heard someone say last night that the 22ssv has a rather unimpressive wake. Any thoughts on that? Also, what about one of those big nose bags that would lay perfectly in the nose of the 22 with the playpen set-up? I think it adds 1000 lbs. The boat has the upgraded assault engine so getting up and out of the hole should not be a problem. I appreciate the input!

(Message edited by pdxviperguy on August 03, 2006)
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       08-03-2006, 1:53 PM Reply   
Where did you here the wake was unimpressive from ? Take it with a grain of salt ! I dont own a Supra but can say both the SSV and 21v have great wakes. I have seen both and both were impressive.
Old     (pdxviperguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-03-2006, 2:01 PM Reply   
I acutally heard that from someone who has a 24ssv. I totally understand that the 24 has a larger wake but it would no matter what. It was said that it was just not as much boat with the lower freeboard, lower to the ground seating, lack of storage, and again, the wake being less than ideal. From what I have been able to find the 22ssv weighted properly is world class. I would love thoughts from people who actually have this boat or ride behind one somewhat frequently.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-03-2006, 2:17 PM Reply   
yes the 22ssv will have a lower freeboard and less storage. it will definitely give you a big wake. bags can be upgraded to the Gravity Games bags. More than the upgraded engine you will want to ensure that you have the new wakeboard prop. That thing will pull any amount of weight out of the hole with no prob.... Having both you will be dialed
How many people are you looking to have in your boat? If you are looking to have a lot of people in your boat and a lot of storage for their stuff then you would want to consider the 24ssv or even the 21v has a ton more storage than the 22. They are all sweet boats.. just a matter of getting the right one for your needs. you will love the playpen as you grow into these boats cause you can run a ton of weight and have it all under the seats and then have tons of storage when you are not running the bags full....
Old     (pdxviperguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-03-2006, 2:31 PM Reply   
I am glad to hear that you think the wake is good. After the comment last night I started to sweat a little bit. I will definately upgrade the bags to the largest possible so I can have the weighting options. I will most times not have more than 6 in the boat and I bet most times it turns out to be 4 or so. I know that I am never going to be a pro but I do aspire to join the "i have blown my knees out" club. Hope everyone caught the sarcasm in that. My other things I want to do are surf and wakeskate.
Old     (bladerunner)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-03-2006, 2:36 PM Reply   
we have a 22ssv and with sacs the wake really nice. We put the fly high pro x v drive sacks in the rear lockers and the bow sack up front. its about 1500 lbs
even without sacks the wake is still pretty good, though
Old     (insuranceman)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-03-2006, 2:39 PM Reply   
Brian, I've got a 05 ssv 22 and I have really enjoyed it. It does not have a ton of storage, but the wake is great.

I have for sell in the classified portion of this forum to of the fly high 750lbs for sale. They will fit but it's a little tight.

As with what Diggs said, upgrade to the wakeboard prop. I did about 4 months ago and it makes a huge difference.
Old     (pdxviperguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-03-2006, 2:45 PM Reply   
Do those sacks hook right up to the existing lines?
Old     (insuranceman)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-03-2006, 2:47 PM Reply   
yep, the fittings are still on the bags to hook directly up to the existing plumbing.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-03-2006, 3:42 PM Reply   
Did you buy a boat Bryan or you still shopping? Are you looking from private party or from Toby at Salem Watersports?
Old     (pdxviperguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-03-2006, 3:59 PM Reply   
I am set on supra. Dave Briscoe just called me and we had a nice chat about boats and what the REAL story according to him on whats out there for sale is. A really nice guy and very down to earth. He has been a supra guy for 10 years and coaches guys like zane, parks, and others. He has the 24ssv for his tour but had a 22 for 5 years. he said to definately upgrade the bags to 2000+ total weight and that would produce a tour quality wake.
Old     (fogey)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-03-2006, 6:46 PM Reply   
I have a 2002 Launch SSV, which is the same boat at a 2005 22SSV. The sacks are about 1900 pounds, plus another couple hundred pounds in solid ballast. The wake is great -- large, clean, somewhat rampy, and solid. I've been behind other boats, and I still love it after 4 years.

Unimpressive wake? I don't think so. Even without any ballast, guys are landing in the flats at 75' without really trying. Add weight and it just gets (a lot) bigger.
Old     (mattyreb)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-03-2006, 7:47 PM Reply   
1200# in V drives 1000# in middle and around 240# in lead in the playpen and 100# in lead to move around the boat depending how many we have in the boat, when we have alot of people in the boat we dump some water out of the back or the wake gets to steep. The wake is sick
Old     (pdxviperguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-03-2006, 9:54 PM Reply   
I am glad to hear that the wake is sick. I would not think there would be any reason for it not to be. I will get some weight in the boat and get it dialed in right. Another question. How hard is it to install a heater? It is the only option this boat does not have?
Old     (ridealready)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-03-2006, 10:37 PM Reply   
I have a 2006 21v. We run a 1200 lb in the front locker and 500's in the back on each side. Throw a little wake plate in the mix and its nasty. Make sure to upgrade the prop though.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-03-2006, 11:21 PM Reply   
Bryan, did you buy a Supra? Listen to Diggs and get his advice, he knows Supra's and the dealer in and out.....
Old     (pdxviperguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-04-2006, 12:23 AM Reply   
I am planning on going down and picking up the supra early saturday morning as it is going to require a drive to mammoth lakes to meet up with the seller. It will be worth it and I have several good friends going with for moral support or more like driving support/ turns behind the wheel. I made that drive to reno a couple of months ago for a hummer off road event and it wasn't bad so I am not worried.
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-04-2006, 5:15 AM Reply   
Damn, all this talk about juicy wakes makes me want to leave work right now, load up the 21V and have some fun.

Good luck in your boat purchase!
Old     (spicoli512)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-04-2006, 8:37 AM Reply   
I ride an 03 22 SSV. I don't think the hull has changed since then.

We have 800 in each V-drive compartment and 1200 in the nose. Absolutely world-class wake.
Old     (pdxviperguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-04-2006, 8:43 AM Reply   
so it sounds like to make a long story short only buy the x-star if your pocket book does not matter, if you have people other than you who will gain enjoyment from it and the pocket book does not matter, or if the size of your unit will metaphorically be enhanced by it ;) or you are a pro who gets one for free!
Old     (bull)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-05-2006, 11:44 PM Reply   
Bryan - Did you take the plunge and get the ssv? Hopefully so as I have an '03 and can say that you don't have to worry about wake size. If you want to tweak it let me know as I've got the prop, pro-x sac config, and soon to be ballast pump upgrade info for ya.

But in all honesty the wake would be the least of my worries. Get something that fits you, your crew, and your price range. My boat gas bill has been around 700+ a month averaging 3-4x a week. Not to mention there are kids on a lake that I go to that have a 8' tall homebrew skylon on an outboard that are throwing down sick inverts and tantrums.