Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 22, 2006

Old     (dan_forrest)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-13-2006, 9:11 AM Reply   
I have been trying back rolls for a while now, and finally today, while out for the early morning run I spotted my landing and for once landed on my board, but couldn't stick it. But I can feel it coming!!!
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-13-2006, 5:44 PM Reply   
Dan congrats. Give me a little info on what is going on at the landing maybe I can help ya out or post a small video.
Old     (dan_forrest)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-13-2006, 6:22 PM Reply   
Thanks Squid. My landings are all over the place from way out in the flats to breaking the crest of the other wake. I think my problem lies in the take off. Maybe you can set me straight on this one. I hear alot of people tell me that you take a progressive edge in and when you hit that wake, begin to edge away from it causing you to flip. Others tell me dont throw it till your in the air. I think if I could start getting a consistent take off, I could start working on the landing. I have my progressive edge down, any other skills I can work on to help me?
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-13-2006, 6:50 PM Reply   
Ok sounds like we need to get a edge set up. Next time out do a nice slow progressive edge so your most line tension is at the top of the wake or where the load is. Think of it as one of those desk toys that the ball swings and hits the other balls. Slow to fast once you have that make sure your landing about 3 feet out in the flats.

Now that you have the egde and land in the same spot every time you want to edge threw and away from the boat as the crest of the wake gets between your feet extend your legs for the most pop possable. As you leave the wake keep your arms in and look up and over your front sholder your body will follow. If you end up crashing the wake you are letting up on your egde. If you edge correct and release off the wake it will all come together. Its kinda hard to expain with out showing your the body position. Maybe some other can help out. But Like MR Umali says its all basic fundmantals if they are not right then most tricks wont work. You can get kinda get by but once you get to harder tricks thats when the fundmentals kick in. Try to get the BOOK DVD I bet they break it down killer. Hope that kinda helps or maybe its a bunch of mombo jumbo.

Good luck.

Oh ya 99.9% is ask your self HOW BAD DO YOU WANT IT.
Old     (nickdakoolkat)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-13-2006, 7:10 PM Reply   
I am in the same position as you DC. I have come extremely close to landing a backroll (I started coming close on my 3rd try) about 30 tries later I haven't come much closer. I had a few bad falls at the end of last season trying them, and have yet to try one this season. Next time I go out I am going to try and work on them. I feel like I need a very small amount more air to give me that much more time to get the rotation. I feel soooo freaking close!
Old     (dkmode34)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-13-2006, 8:49 PM Reply   
to me its all in how you take off from the top of the wake. just look over your lead soulder and put that handle on your front hip. remember you are rotating around the handle so dont tuck. i was sliding out for a long time then when you stick that handle to ur hip you rotate better and then if you start to over rotate then you let it out to slow down the rotation.
Old    wakegal02            05-14-2006, 8:53 AM Reply   
i would like to start trying a backroll this season but not quite sure how to do it. I think I have the edge work down pretty well, not extremely consistent but I do land in the flats a good amount if i edge real hard. Several people have told me just put your ear to your back shoulder. First, to me that doesn't sound like it'd do too much, then again I've never tried. But now reading this post, you guys are saying look over your front shoulder. Which one is it? By the way i ride goofy, right foot forward.
Old     (dkmode34)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-14-2006, 9:07 AM Reply   
you being goofy would be putting your left ear to your shoulder and by doing this you would be looking towards not over your right shoulder.
Old     (dan_forrest)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-14-2006, 9:08 AM Reply   
Thanks Squid. It does sound like I need to work a little on those take offs and get them consistent.
Old     (dan_forrest)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-14-2006, 9:10 AM Reply   
wes, are you talking about a mexican back roll or a progressive?

(Message edited by dan_forrest on May 14, 2006)
Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-14-2006, 9:13 AM Reply   
Hey DC,what lake were you at, If it was Saguaro what boat were you on? I was in the Red Supra 21 Launch.
Old     (dan_forrest)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-14-2006, 9:16 AM Reply   
I usually ride Saguaro, but yesterday was at Canyon. If you get there just before the sun comes up, you have about 2 hours of perfect riding. Usually on an black and white X2.
Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-14-2006, 9:25 AM Reply   
I havnt been to Canyon yet, let me know if you ever need a pull or when I can roll on the X2. I live out in Quuen Creek so Im not to far from either lake.
Old     (dan_forrest)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-14-2006, 9:33 AM Reply   
We ride Saguaro most Wednesday nights on the X2 or white and green Sea Ray. Saturdays at Canyon. You definitely need to get to Canyon. Ill keep you posted on when we head out. Whats your email
Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-14-2006, 9:59 AM Reply   
Its on my profile. Ive never been behind an X2, thanks.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       05-14-2006, 10:38 AM Reply   
Your body position when leaving the wake is the position your body will be in when landing. Ie; if your squatted in a chair position, you'll end up butt checking on the landing. If you stand tall at the wake and release after you pop, you'll end up landing with a better body position. Also spot your landing and look for the shoreline. This helps you recover from sketchy landings.
Old     (gdog)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-14-2006, 10:54 AM Reply   
great advise from everyone. what helps me is keeping the rope close to my body. it helps me rotate around the rope and stay in control on the landings. you'll get it. i was backroll challenged for way too long!! good luck