Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 13, 2007

Old     (hookedonboardin)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-01-2007, 7:46 PM Reply   
Looking for some info from people who have the older factory MC towers THE BOX KIND and have biminis. Was thinking a standard bimini should work as the tower arms are mounted to the side gunwales therefore the standard bimini would work because it fits inside.

Jut looking for the most cost efficient bimini for this tower that doesn't have to be removed to fold up and store. Not sure if they made a tower one for it but just exploring some options and trying to figure out which route to go.
Old     (big_poppa_pump)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-02-2007, 1:13 PM Reply   
I don't know what the box kind refers to, but I have a 1999 X-Star so I'm pretty sure we have the same tower (mine is all one piece).

I have just a regular old bimini that folds up and the cover attaches to the top rungs on the tower with straps. When the bimini is open, the whole thing fits inside the dimensions of the tower.

It also detaches with two thumb screws if I want to take it completely out. I got it from a custom shop, but there is nothing special about it.

The mounting rails allow it to slide forward and back. So I'd think you'd only need to determine the correct width if you're ordering one online. Changing the height would be easy for the install if needed (cut the main tubes and reattach the mounts).

Edit: yeah, the rails for the bimini mount on hardware that screws to the interior of the boat just below the rear portion of the windshield.

(Message edited by big_poppa_pump on March 02, 2007)
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       03-02-2007, 2:21 PM Reply   
Chaun, could you post pics of your bimini setup? I have a 99 205V with an aftermarket tower. I am going to retrofit an old bimini I have and weighing the options of where to mount it. I might mount it on top of the windshield frame.
Old     (hookedonboardin)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-02-2007, 8:18 PM Reply   
Chaun what I meant by the box kind was that it has the original style version of the zero flex flyer tower.
Old     (badzuki)      Join Date: Sep 2001       03-03-2007, 6:03 AM Reply   
Check my profile pic
Old     (hookedonboardin)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-03-2007, 9:18 AM Reply   
badzuki....where is that bimini from? That's pretty much the regular style I would assume. When it's folded up does it stay on the boat and just attach to the tower? Or do you have to remove it completely?

Chaun not sure if I get your setup got any pics....Is the bimini mounted to the tower or to the top deck?

(Message edited by hookedonboardin on March 03, 2007)
Old     (kainishida)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-03-2007, 10:41 AM Reply   
I have a 99 xstar with the old style zero flex. Here is the bimini that I'm ordering for it. Talked with this company and they will build it for your tower. I also like that it is not connected to anything but the tower. This makes tarping easier since alot of the time my boat is on a lift. Good luck.

http://www.bigairpylons.com/TowerBimini.htm
Old     (big_poppa_pump)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-04-2007, 11:50 AM Reply   
Swatguy, the bimini attaches to the windshield frame. Here is a pic of the mount. As you can see the bimini slides back and forth so you can place it where you want it. I don't ever really use the sliding feature, but its a nice mount and makes the install easy.

The leg of the bimini shown in the pic can be completely removed with the one thumbscrew on each side. The end on the leg just attaches with the small screw, so if you order one that happens to be too tall, it would be easy to cut and just re-attach the end.

I generally slide it all the way back when its folded down and stored so that its flush against the rear seat. The bimini has a zippered cover (boot) that has buckle straps on it and I can just swing it up and buckle it to the upper portion of the tower (the smaller rungs on top) or open it fully and four point it with straps pretty much the same as badzuki.

The big air bimini looks pretty nice, but I don't think it would cut it in Arizona. You want something a little bigger and bit lower like badzuki's if you really want to keep the sun out.

Upload
Old     (hookedonboardin)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-04-2007, 12:55 PM Reply   
chaun
you have a pic of your bimini with it open and also with it closed attached to the tower? Just curious to see it. Was that the original MC bimini? or an after market.
Old     (badzuki)      Join Date: Sep 2001       03-04-2007, 7:41 PM Reply   
Swatguy- It folds up nicely to the tower. Just use bungees to keep it up. The downfall is that it blocks the tower speakers. So I if I don't think it is going to be used I leave it home. It does fold back nicely and lays in the back seat when being towed. I bought it for about $200 of ebay. It is a 5ft 3 bow and fits perfect. I am so happy to have a bimini, I don't know how I did it with out one.
Old     (big_poppa_pump)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-05-2007, 7:02 AM Reply   
OK Swatguy here's the pics. Btw, it works pretty well for those unexpected rainshowers as well. The bimini is from an MC dealer, but from what I understand, the dealerships just outsource this type of work to local vendors...they don't come from MC direct. The shop it originated from is called ABC Marine in Phoenix if I remember correctly.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

(Message edited by big_poppa_pump on March 05, 2007)

(Message edited by big_poppa_pump on March 05, 2007)
Old     (big_poppa_pump)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-05-2007, 7:08 AM Reply   
The snaps from the 4 straps attach to the hull with these. You could probably skip the ones on the front and strap them around the lowest joint on the front of the tower if you were so inclined.

Upload