Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (J)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-10-2012, 3:05 PM Reply   
I am a new rider of several years. I am riding the 2011 Ronix One (142). I am getting comfortable riding switch and doing some inside the wake 180s and hs w2w. However, it seems my board is glued to the water, as I cant seem to get blind 180s or surface 180s w/o face planting. I have to get air borne in order to ride switch or do some other things that I see others doing on the surface. Am I on the wrong board, or am I just not a good enough rider to break it loose?
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       07-10-2012, 3:20 PM Reply   
There are a number of things you can to to help get the board loose. First off, you should be putting more weight on your front foot when you try to break loose, this will help reduce the amount your fins track. Secondly, you can adjust you fins. I ride the same board (142) and am riding the 0.8 Slider fins that should have came with your board. These grab the water still really well, but you can break out much easier than the 1.0 Ramp fins. Thirdly, where you are doing it can also be a factor. I found cutting really hard out on my heel side edge and then trying to break out gave me the most success.
Old     (J)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-10-2012, 5:00 PM Reply   
I have considered taking them off completely. Mine is the ATR, and I think all
It came with were 1.0. I will try the front foot advice. I was riding inside the wake
last week and tried to slide around to ride switch and did a serious face plant...maybe
a conscious front foot approach will help
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            07-10-2012, 5:57 PM Reply   
Def try to go with the .8 fins...taking them off completely especially on choppy water would be difficult to ride. I tried my watson hybrid without fins behind my boat & it was sketchy on every landing.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-10-2012, 6:13 PM Reply   
That board is way too sticky with Ronix's 1.0 inch fins. Ditch them ASAP!
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       07-10-2012, 6:15 PM Reply   
.8s are the way to go. I used then on my One boards up until I picked up a '12 timebomb. The smaller fins will make all of the difference in the world.
Old     (Readyaimfire)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-10-2012, 6:58 PM Reply   
It's honestly probably a combination of the fins and experience. It's all about knowing the board. The best practice for this in my opinion is to spend a few minutes every set to just slash the wake. Learn your edges and how far you can push the board before it breaks loose. Then you will know how much energy it takes to pop around on a 180. Also you might need to take some of your weight off the fins when u try to flip the board around.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-10-2012, 7:29 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by J View Post
Mine is the ATR, and I think all it came with were 1.0
It should have come with the 0.8" BECAUSE its the ATR edition. I swapped the fins on my '08 Ibex for a buddy's 0.8" slider fins because I like the looser board, and they havent held my boat riding back in any way shape or form. If you dont like the 1", ditch them until you have enough experience to work around them (if you ever feel like putting them back on).
Old     (J)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-10-2012, 8:14 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the replies...all advice is appreciated!
Old     (garythedog)      Join Date: Aug 2011       07-11-2012, 6:55 PM Reply   
the 0.8 fins would definitely help but i think the problem your having is where you are doing them try cutting out on your heelside edge then let off to create a bit of slack in the line then switch. it should help you be able to lean back so your not dragged by the boat causing the all so fun front edge catch
Old     (austin)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-13-2012, 2:25 PM Reply   
Sometimes the board makes a difference. If your board has a pronounced spine or channels running the full length it will not spin on the surface as easily as a board that has a smoother bottom surface. The fin placement and size also makes a difference. I have two boards that are night and day different in how easy it is to do surface spins on them, so it's not all just a matter of technique.
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-13-2012, 2:29 PM Reply   
Have you tried slowing the boat down to like 15 mph then doind the surface 180's. Going alot slower will make your fins catch less, then once you have figured out how to do them then speed up some and try again.
Old     (J)      Join Date: Jul 2012       08-05-2012, 6:32 PM Reply   
Well I tried a different board the last couple of days, the Ronix Phoenix Project. I haven't ridden that many different boards, but reading about them and riding them is opening my eyes. The rocker on that Phoenix board is a LOT different than my One. It is a LOT looser and more forgiving than the One, and definitely has softer landings. But I did sacrifice some height in my jumps, as well as some distance. Still not sure if I would get rid of my One or not. I might try another board with a rocker somewhere between those two
Old     (Kerry)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-07-2012, 6:31 AM Reply   
I know a lot of guys are saying get smaller fins which is certainly an option for you. I myself ride the 2012 one with the 1.0 fins and find the board to come loose fairly easily. Preference is preference but I think you should work on your technique a bit. I don't find the board to be that tight actually. I don't have a rough time doing blind surface spins and the like. I did learn all the slides on boards with bigger fins though like 1.2 or 1.7 so I'm somewhat used to it. Sometimes those fins really help a landing to imo. Others might disagree and like I said everyone has their preferences but you should be able to do it either on the .8 or 1.0 fins. The difference shouldn't be that much.
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       08-07-2012, 6:43 PM Reply   
The '11 and '12 One boards are completely different IMO. The '11 locks in hard witch the 1" fins which really sucks for breaking the board loose or landing off balance or with the board not fully pointing in the direction you are going. The .8" make a dramatic difference and are a must IMO.

I still have the '11 but haven't ridden it in awhile. I've had the '12 Time Bomb all season and never even considered putting the .8" fins on it. It seems to lock in well when you want to lock it in but can break it loose with the same or less effort than the '11.
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       08-07-2012, 8:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstonshark View Post
The '11 and '12 One boards are completely different IMO. The '11 locks in hard witch the 1" fins which really sucks for breaking the board loose or landing off balance or with the board not fully pointing in the direction you are going. The .8" make a dramatic difference and are a must IMO.

I still have the '11 but haven't ridden it in awhile. I've had the '12 Time Bomb all season and never even considered putting the .8" fins on it. It seems to lock in well when you want to lock it in but can break it loose with the same or less effort than the '11.
I totally agree. The '12 Ones are completely different from the '11's. Different shapes all together. All of the complaints on the 09-11 models have been addressed and answered in the '12 editions. I also ride a Timebomb and it is so much different than the other one boards that I have (in a good way).
Old     (nickdakoolkat)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-08-2012, 9:27 PM Reply   
Try slowing the boat down for an bit just to get the feel of butterslides and 180s but without the pain of face planting.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-09-2012, 6:47 AM Reply   
Its not you, its the board, why sacrifice height and distance because you cant do surface 180's with 1" fins? just put the smaller fins on and you should get the same pop and distance as long as your technique is good on your approach, do not slow your boat down.
Old     (rplogue7)      Join Date: Jul 2012       08-09-2012, 6:55 AM Reply   
What I like to do is pump forward, then pull backward to do surface 180s, but when you land keep your weight back. The slider fins will definitely help you to ride out with an under rotated spin.
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       08-09-2012, 8:41 AM Reply   
I have a set of .8 sliders i will give you if you want!!
Old     (J)      Join Date: Jul 2012       08-09-2012, 2:48 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the responses. I agree that the '12 One is MUCH different board than mine. You can look at pics online and see that the two boards have a different rocker design and edge. I am going to try out a Ronix Viva or Bill next.....just to get a feel for other boards. Thanks for the offer Jamie, I can grab a set at my pro shop this weekend.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-09-2012, 5:53 PM Reply   
Jamie I still need a set of .8 fins how much to ship them to ohio?
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       08-10-2012, 3:15 AM Reply   
P.M. Me and I will send them out