Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-16-2012, 4:29 AM Reply   
In today's newspaper.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2012/au...ng-technology/

Jman
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-16-2012, 4:54 AM Reply   
''Switching sides can take up to an hour to drain and fill weight tanks.''

An hour to switch sides? He must have tanks the size of swimming pools. I doubt the author has ever been on a wakeboat.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-16-2012, 5:35 AM Reply   
Pretty sure it takes me about 5 minutes to swap sides...
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-16-2012, 6:08 AM Reply   
5 minutes?? Takes me 2 hours with the turkey baster!
Old     (constructor)      Join Date: Aug 2012       08-16-2012, 6:28 AM Reply   
He's a boat salesman...one that thinks everyone isn't as smart as he is or he has a Malibu that takes an hour to drain. None of the Malibu's I've been on had decent surf wakes and they aren't really known as surf boats. Although I have seen some photos of one boat here that throws a big wake.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-16-2012, 7:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by constructor View Post
He's a boat salesman...one that thinks everyone isn't as smart as he is or he has a Malibu that takes an hour to drain. None of the Malibu's I've been on had decent surf wakes and they aren't really known as surf boats. Although I have seen some photos of one boat here that throws a big wake.
BU's take a lot of weight to throw a good surf wake, but once you have it dialed in they have very nice surf wakes.
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-16-2012, 7:35 AM Reply   
I didn't see where they talked to a boat salesam in the article. I'm not sure where you got that. You guys did see that he said UP TO an hour, right? You do understand the article is in a newspaper read by people who may or may not know about wakesurfing and not a wakeboar or boating magazine, right? It's funny how everyone here says they want to see new stuff come out, but when it does, the haters come out of the wood work. Whether it is an all new boat or just a new tower or graphics, the bashing starts immediately. I'm not a lover or hater of this tech. I just thought some here would enjoy reading the story.
Old     (constructor)      Join Date: Aug 2012       08-16-2012, 8:02 AM Reply   
Innovation is fine but that isn't the first time it has been done it's just the first time a big manufacturer has adopted it as an option on production boats. It may help Malibu sell some boats and it's cool that they are offering it. Exaggeration by a salesman to make the product sound better compared to the old way is normal.
If he made an exaggeration in front of people who really know what they are talking about he made himself look like a BSing salesman. If the writer added it for effect then he made the mistake. I see it all the time in the firearm industry. My father once said If you don't want to look like a fool don't talk about things you know nothing about, stand and say nothing, no one will know.
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-16-2012, 8:17 AM Reply   
If one has never drained, moved and refilled several large fat sacks with a single over the side pump, I could see how one might see his remark as a huge exaggeration. It is a pain and it does take a long time. So you are here in Knoxville too?
Old     (constructor)      Join Date: Aug 2012       08-16-2012, 8:47 AM Reply   
No but close after spending the last 30 years in Atlanta, Fla, Colo. and Ut.
I spent almost every weekend pulling people behind a 21.5 Wakesetter last year, Nice quality, no problems but a rough ride on a choppy lake. There are a lot more Tige's and Supra/Moomba's out west.
We've been using plates to shape wakes or try to eliminate them behind inboard ski and barefoot boats since the 70s. They didn't have wakeboards or wakesurfing when I was a kid, trying to kill each other on an innertube was the fun thing then.
It's good to see the Malibu's, Axis, Supra and Moomba's made close here as far as still keeping some industry in this area. IMO if they made a less expensive Moomba instead of a Supra with a deeper V, a surf package with a larger ballast system and market it as a surf boat they would gain some sales. I read the big Sgate thread, good option for Malibu.
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-16-2012, 9:25 AM Reply   
Same here. Most people don't even realize they are now called tubes because they were once just truck tire innertubes. Stand up Jetskis and do you remember the surfjets? A surf baord with a jet drive! http://www.deckjetwatercraft.com/sur...yleapril03.JPGWe used to ride these up into the wake of the boat and surf along.
Old     (SkySki)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-16-2012, 4:30 PM Reply   
Funny you mention that - I almost bought these a couple weeks ago. The wife reminded me that we have a boat and would probably never use them so I didn't - bought a surf board and gopro instead. There was a guy on craigslist that had two for $800.