Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 17, 2004

Old     (mtv_firemedic)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-14-2004, 7:46 PM Reply   
ok - i have looked at all the previous threads for this and seen the schematic for the custom ballast system. now i have questions I hope can be clarified.
here is what I want to do but cant figure out... Fill 3 bags using jabsco water puppy pumps or their eqivalent. question 1 - Do I need 3 pumps, one for each bag? or just one pump to fill all 3 bags separately. if so, how do I route the water to/from each bag individually w/o leaving the drivers seat. (ie. fill & empty all bags w/o having to turn valves in the back just with a switch.)
here is what I DO understand so we can start from there..
i bring the water in from the bottom of the boat via thru hull scoop and hose and into a manifold if i am using more than 1 pump. thru pump into the bags. i do this by throwing the switch next to the driver to fill which puts it in forward. I have 3 inlet/outlets on my bags. one for fill one for empty and another for vent which will be both will be routed to starboard bilge hose via a T in the line. now here is the confusion I am experiencing and need to figure out so I can build this.
i have used the inlet outlet for the pump to fill. if I reverse the pump with the switch(not using the bags empty port, but the same fill line.. wont the water go out the bottom of the boat where it came in.. where i want it to go is out the starboard side hole so i can see when it is empty(no more water)how do i get it there w/o buying 6 pumps ...or is that the only solution? 3rd question.. is there a selinoid activated valve that can electrically open close the hoses coming from a manifold to each bag ?... for "locking off" each bag ideally placed right after the pump so... maybe i have 4 switches... push a fill switch, then switch each bag's selinoid valve open/closed individually with the other 3 switches.. then to empty... hit switch to empty(reverse pump) then open each valve to empty one at a time out the side?.. if this is confusing to those reading this I am sorry... but i am also confused and trying to make sense of this... PLEASE HELP.. of possible THANKS in advance .. Brian
Old     (cdm)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-14-2004, 8:27 PM Reply   
Sorry for the crude drawing but this will work. I suggest 3 - 2 way jebsco pumps because you will avoid the hassle of electric switches manual valves etc. I prefer the Jebscos because they are USCG approved. They will not produce an explosion when gas vapors are present. Important!! I would also add check valves on the two exhaust hoses(forgot). The Outs are routed to 2 new through hulls drilled as high as you can even with your existing bilge through hull(s). Your sacs/tanks will only require 2 connection points because the fill/drain will only use one/same connection. The other will auto burp. Hope this helps. Others will shurely revise. If anything its a good start.. What do you think?
application/pdf
Ballast System 3.pdf (97.8 k)
Old     (mtv_firemedic)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-14-2004, 8:57 PM Reply   
so as for the switches..... just hook up pumps 1 to each switch and fill forward, empty reverse, and the water will flow to the 1 way valves and out the side ports. can i link all the exit hosesand vent hoses to 1 exhaust port on the side of the boat, or do i need one port for each sac so i know when they are empty.. and can switch off the pump. thanks for the drawing.. it makes sense.. and where can i pick up the 1 way valves online.. know of anyhwhere?.. or just local harware store where i will be getting the PVC for the manifold and hoses.. i am hopeing not to drill 67 holes in my boat if i dont have to.. i for each empty and each vent plus thru hull scoop... but if i have to so i can keep an eye on the status of the pumps/bags i will

thanks for the help.. and i plan on using the jabsco for the reasons you stated...
if i have a V drive where is the best place to put the pumps? the storage area or the engine compartment on the side wall? or on the floor under one of the seats? do they make alot of noise... if so.. the engine compt seems like the best.. anyone have pics of their set up?.. i'd like to see if possible.. thanks

Old     (cdm)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-14-2004, 9:24 PM Reply   
I would only use 1 exhaust hole on each side of the boat(2 total), combining 2 sacs into one exhaust hole and only one on the other side. Using two will help in draining time, not forcing all three sacs out one 1 inch hole. Purchase the check valves at the hardware store, home depot, lowes etc. Use at least 1 inch valves and hoses for the entire system. As far as mounting goes, try to keep the amount of hose you use to a minimum. This will help in flow times. I have a v drive and all my pumps are mounted on the transom wall. They are not very loud but when they are all running it adds up. Do a search again, many installs are posted.
Old     (healing)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-15-2004, 12:01 AM Reply   
Here is an 1 inch electric operated ball valve. on the lower right if the link works. http://www.dultmeier.com/catalog.asp?catname=37|42|43|58|59|&id=100.10.1.4.1

They are used for spraying applications. Several manufactures make these Spraying System, Banjo, Teejet. They work very well, closing or opening in less than a second, and they draw very low currents of 12 volt power. A little pricey though around $110+

These are not ignition protected. However I would have them on my boat if I could swallow the price. I am getting lazy having to manually turn the pvc valves.
I will try to get a pic to work.

valve