Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 19, 2004

Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-17-2004, 12:39 PM Reply   
I noticed in another thread that some people were shorts with the their full wetsuits? Why do some people do that? I can understand wearing shorts with a spring suit but cant fathom the fullsuit shorts issue.

When I use to body board I would wear a fullsuit with no shorts and the same with a spring. Seems that the shorts and full suit would make you look like a kook in the lineup.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-17-2004, 12:54 PM Reply   
either way it looks cooler (in my opinion) to put shorts over it.
Old     (harryhog)      Join Date: Mar 2003       02-17-2004, 12:55 PM Reply   
i do, guess its cause board sports = baggy,

and a full neo' suit is definately not baggy, so you'd also look a bit odd with a board strapped to you wearing skin tight clothing, kinda like a downhill snowboarder.

I just recon it doesn't look right!!

anyone agree??
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       02-17-2004, 1:05 PM Reply   
I think it depends on where you're from. In SoCal we're used to wearing wetsuits for surfing, and it would look really stupid to see someone wearing boardshorts over a fullsuit while surfing. In other places where they only wear a wetsuit for wakeboarding and aren't used to the way it looks, they wear boardshorts over the wetsuit. Wearing trunks over a springsuit doesn't look bad, but over a fullsuit looks really strange to me.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-17-2004, 1:11 PM Reply   
I think it has something to do with the big boots. Kind of like boot cut jeans versus the older tapered leg jeans we all wore in the 80's.

You would definately get some classic stares if you paddled out with shorts on over your suit.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-17-2004, 1:14 PM Reply   
I rekon I'd have to agree with Hog.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-17-2004, 2:23 PM Reply   
90% of the people i know wear shorts over their suits mearly for looks..I do as well,dont like the BULGED look of just a wetsuit :-)..

i think it looks cool as well........
Old    wakeair            02-17-2004, 3:19 PM Reply   
lol man I can't imagine someone wearing shorts over a full body wet suit, that's sort of like wearing your underwear over your pants..goffy lol. I guess shorts over a shorty would be ok but I don't see the point except for looks. I've always worn my shorts under, though I don't like to wear a wet suit when I ride because I feel "restricted"...the tight stiff feeling.
Old    bethkendrick            02-17-2004, 3:43 PM Reply   
a girl's opinion...looks better with shorts over like this
Old     (hatepwcs)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-17-2004, 3:54 PM Reply   
on
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-17-2004, 5:24 PM Reply   
Yeah, I think off looks a little gay, so if I ever get to wear my spring or full suit, it will be with shorts over it for sure...
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-18-2004, 12:42 PM Reply   
Dudes w/ little peepee's need to cover up some way! Actually I agree with Bill, it's all about where you hail from. Growing up surfing, that has got do be one thing that would get you an ass beating before you hit the water. What about the folks that wear boardshorts under their suits, ugghh can you say occupancy overload? I just wonder why, so people don't see your chicken legs? the best part is when they get up and since they have a wetsuit on they can't feel that their shorts have ridden way up and then they just go about their business. I will never in my life wear board shorts, all you get to see is naked Stephen letting his $#!T mellow!
Old     (wakeon)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-18-2004, 12:56 PM Reply   
Shorts on the outside. We're not surfing, we're wakeboarding. IMO
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-18-2004, 1:47 PM Reply   
I have two theories on this subject.
1. If you choose to wear shorts, wear blue jean cut-offs. They just look cool.
2. If you go cut-off free, take a page out of Hasselhoff's book and roll up a sock. Chicks dig it.

hope this helped, back to watching reruns of Rad.
Old     (jonb)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-18-2004, 2:33 PM Reply   
i think it is fine because it makes the life jacket not look so weird when wearing a full suit.
Old    banks            02-18-2004, 2:39 PM Reply   
well i would wear shorts over mine but i have pants to go over my full lenght instead to me its gay to a guy walking around in tights
Old    banks            02-18-2004, 2:40 PM Reply   
to be a guy walking around in tights.
you just don't do that
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-18-2004, 3:10 PM Reply   
baggy drysuit is the way to go.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-18-2004, 5:30 PM Reply   
lol Stephen and toolfan!
I believe what we are really dealing with here is sexual repression.
When faced with such conflicted thoughts and feelings, that is, when I'm not sure which is the proper path to take in life (i.e., "wetsuits with shorts on or off"), I often find it helpful to seek guidance by asking myself... WWJD?
(What would John Holmes do?)
There's your answer.
Old    wakeboard4life            02-18-2004, 7:17 PM Reply   
i dont even wear shorts during the summer...if you arent naked you arent having fun. For real though, id feel weird boarding without shorts over a wetsuit, full or shorty. Maybe its because i dont surf and tights freak me out.
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       02-18-2004, 7:22 PM Reply   
You guys go comando in your wet suits?
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-18-2004, 9:00 PM Reply   
I solved this problem when I resolved to go with either drysuit or trunks. General rule is 62 or below water temp gets the suit, above is trunks with a neoprene jacket if its chilly. Some of this depends on the air temp too.

For surfing its me and my wetsuit. I'd get my arse kicked if I paddled out with trunks over my wetsuit. Oh and yeah, definitely commando!
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-18-2004, 9:54 PM Reply   
wakeboarding isnt surfing though. you dont want any extra clothing gettin in the way when your surfing. wakeboarding is all about how good you make a trick look. and to tell you the truth, ive seen just about all the pro surfers sports trunks over their full suit at least once.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-18-2004, 9:56 PM Reply   
I'm usually asked to put shorts on, by the coast-guard, etc. Apparently, "it's" very intimidating for the fish and other creatures and they are scared away, disrupting the eco-system. So I put shorts on for the sake of the environment
Mark, yes, go comando. shorts under the suit is just uncomfortable.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-18-2004, 10:30 PM Reply   
Andre, clever solution. You sound very well adjusted, psychologically speaking.

Brad, "tights freak me out." That's exactly what I'm talking about... repression... sounds like you need to get in touch with your inner tight-wearer, or maybe try some Paxil. Let's look at it from another angle (no pun intended): Football players all wear tights, and not only that, but one of the coolest guys on the team sticks his hands where the sun don't shine on a big fat dude in front of him at the start of every play. Yet we all know that most football players are bad @ss and nobody ever seems to question whether they look cool or not (same with surfers). It's just body parts... get over it.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-18-2004, 11:36 PM Reply   
I just pretend that I am Batman and that all the hunnies want to see my immense bulge. For you short wearers just answer me this. Why?

Fashion? You guys are a bunch of sallys if your worried about how you look in front of a bunch of dudes. Didn't you guys used to get naked in gym class? C'mon you gotta rock out w/ your **** out. So to speak.
Old     (autotunner69)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-18-2004, 11:44 PM Reply   
stephen- think ya better change your username to the stif-myster!
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-19-2004, 6:41 AM Reply   
I laughed at a lot of the comments posted above. I am still stuck on the theory as to what your background is (surfing/non surfing). I guess I let me riding speak for itself and dont give a crap of what some other "dude" thinks. I mean, your their to have fun and not keep up with the latest fashion trend. To each its own.
Old    heavywake            02-19-2004, 7:30 AM Reply   
I guess I should throw away my speedo's and look for some board shorts.
Old    aka Brad Beach            02-19-2004, 9:09 AM Reply   
"Hang out with your wang out!"
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-19-2004, 4:06 PM Reply   
I only wear trunks over my baggy drysuit. It helps get the ladies.
Old     (wakeon)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-19-2004, 4:12 PM Reply   
Always wear board shorts over your wetsuit.
Except on Sunday when you should wear a suit
and tie over your wetsuit.
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-19-2004, 4:47 PM Reply   
The last thing I want to see is some dude's wang lump... on, please!

B-
Old     (maristar210)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-19-2004, 4:57 PM Reply   
i wear shorts over my wetsuit, that cuts off at the knees so then whenever you put on boardshorts and a lifejacket you cant even see that you have a suit on.
Old     (cdm)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-19-2004, 5:01 PM Reply   
Pierce Bronkite is right on.. I think many of you have been watching to many episodes of "Queer Eye for the straight guy" or is it wakeboarder!! Let your riding speak for itself...
Old    en_force_r            02-24-2004, 12:33 PM Reply   
Shorts over wet suit = teeny wee wee.
It just makes you look really insecure - whether you're a pro or a first timer.
It's one thing to BE insecure, but it's a whole lot worse to SHOUT it at anyone who happens to look in your direction.

Like the rare occasion in HS when I had to shower at school and some geeks would wear underwear
Old    martini            02-25-2004, 3:52 PM Reply   
it's like this...never wear boardshorts over your fullsuit in the surf....unless your name is kelly slater or andy irons or unless you like to get your ass beat!

but please wear your boardshorts over your fullsuit when behind the boat...i don't want to see someones junk be it lrg or small...for the love of all thats right don't expose your junk to the peolpe stuck watching you ride!
Old    phibes            02-25-2004, 4:15 PM Reply   
some guys are more comfortable wearing tights, surfers wear wetsuits without shorts and wrestlers wear singlets. whatever you feel comfortable with is cool. where are you guys riding that you will get your ass beat for weather or not you wear boardshorts over your wetsuit? i think that if you can ride thats more important than your fashion sense.
Old    mayday48            02-26-2004, 9:16 PM Reply   
on!!! so cal.. nor cal who cares. im all about riding with my bros, but not watchin those skinny legs. just feels wierd to me. maybe i am insecure but anyone ridin in the cold is a champ anyway ya do it.
Old    blackhawk            02-28-2004, 4:10 PM Reply   
Don't wear an older non flat stitched wetsuit commando, painful redness may (WILL) ocurr in the lower region. Not fun
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-29-2004, 4:57 AM Reply   
alright ALRIGHT!! Forget that "Queer eye for the straight guy" nonsense you metrosexuals!! Surf, no shorts, wake, yes shorts. I wear shorts over my full suit, when I wear my full suit. I'm from the desert, therefore, I've never surfed. I think If I did surf I wouldn't wear my shorts over my suit, cuz it's just not cool. That's what it's all about, looking cool. If you're gonna go wakeboarding without shorts, I'm gonna say YOU look like a dweeb. And if you go surfing with your shorts over your suit, you're a dweeb too.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-29-2004, 7:00 AM Reply   
But Thane, what do you do when you go wakesurfing its all so confusing
Old     (wakeforce139)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-29-2004, 9:55 AM Reply   
good point kristian.... i say shorts for anytime you are being pulled by something (or riding behind a boat) and i dont really care about what anyone does for anything else
Old     (jonm)      Join Date: Jan 2002       03-03-2004, 12:16 PM Reply   
I wear my shorts under my wetsuit (shorty). Its a little uncomfortable at first to put on but way more practical. You just need to adjust things properly and then you are fine. Up in Calgary I've never seen shorts over a wetsuit. For starters, I usually take my suit off between runs. If you're naked you can't do that and you have a wet ass for the rest of the day. I think you can get a rash from that. And WTF do you do when you have your trunks over your suit? It sounds like everyone out there chills in the boat with their suits on? That can't be right.

PS: Why are you homies checkin out my bulge anyways? Eyes above my equator please. i'm not just a piece of meat. I have boarding skills too.
Old    sgot_wood            03-04-2004, 5:23 PM Reply   
u got to have them over the wet suit. it doesn't look right with out them over
Old     (wake_fun)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-04-2004, 5:57 PM Reply   
Shorts over=dumb
I've never even thought about doing that in the 30 years of boating and water sports. I guess everyone thinks they are cool doing that?? There is no reason. If so, please tell me.
Old    cmm83            03-04-2004, 6:37 PM Reply   
Well if you have been doing watersports for 30 years then you are too old for it to be cool

I wear shorts over my shorty. I'd say 90% of the people at OWC that have a wetsuit on have shorts on over em.
Old    xrated            03-05-2004, 7:45 AM Reply   
Thats gotta make it right then!!!
Old    xrated            03-05-2004, 7:46 AM Reply   
What about the other 10%? They wierd or what?
Old    cmm83            03-05-2004, 10:23 AM Reply   
The other 10% are usually the tourist type that don't know any better struttin their bulges.

I went shortless once...never again..there were too many chicks checking me out trying to get my digits, I couldn't get any riding in.
Old     (wake_fun)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-05-2004, 1:16 PM Reply   
I guess 35 is too old?? Ok, whatever you say.........
I just wear my suit under all the time like Jonathan said above.
Old    cmm83            03-05-2004, 1:27 PM Reply   
Oh I was jk about the old stuff...just poking a little fun b/c you called me dumb :-) I see a guy at OWC a lot that is probably more than twice my age (I'm 20) who blows me away riding (haha, there are also kids less than half my age doing the same thing).
I hope I'm still on the water when I'm 35+
I think it's awesome the broad spectrum of ages the sport has.
Old     (wake_fun)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-05-2004, 2:36 PM Reply   
You will be riding on the water when you are 35+
Old    orgborn            03-05-2004, 5:01 PM Reply   
I dont surf i wakeboard so i dont care what the hell surfers do there out in the water all day not sitting in the boat wearing a tight outfit. Its gay wear shorts for all the other dudes in the boat unless you like showing dudes your package. Dont hide behind that fratjock attitude its gay.
Old    wakeboard4life            03-06-2004, 3:31 PM Reply   
i went today in a shorty without shorts..but that was because i left my boardshorts at home :-(
Old    big_poppa            03-09-2004, 5:59 PM Reply   
WELL MY LITTLE NEIGHBOR WEARS SHORTS UNDER HIS SUIT AND OVER. THAT WAY WE CANT TALK SMAC.BUT WE ARE ANYWAY!BUT USUALLY WE NEVER WEAR ANYTHING AT ALL!!
Old    alanp            03-09-2004, 6:59 PM Reply   
im from the eastcoast but now live in az. i have never seen a person without shorts until i moved out here. shorts for me.
Old     (gnarkill)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-09-2004, 11:04 PM Reply   
Why all the fashion Q?'s Why don't you just ride stylish. And yeah board shorts over the full suit, You're a Kook. Wakeboardings' primary influence is Surfing! When has anyone, ever, seen someone pull into a barrel and said "that's gay, where are his shorts" The first mistake yall made was baseing your style out of what you saw people wearing in kook central (Florida).
Old     (gnarkill)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-09-2004, 11:08 PM Reply   
But It's Ok if you're wearing a Neo top obviously.
Old    boofhead            03-10-2004, 4:28 AM Reply   
Yeah true if your shorts over a wet suit surfing you would look dumb. But surfers dont wear impact vests or have big boots strapped to their feet. If they did they would wear boardshorts too.
Old    board4228            03-10-2004, 11:10 AM Reply   
Definitely shorts over the wet suit it looks goofy w out them in my opinion
Old    rob4senate            03-10-2004, 11:51 AM Reply   
Boofhead, what does an impact vest and big boots have to do with shorts? Not bashing, just do not understand the relation.

Gnarkill, WTF. You call central Florida "kook central", but looking at your profile you are on a kneeboard behind a bayliner with a tower in Iowa (no offense to others with towered bayliners in Iowa)???? I was unaware that Carter Lake, Iowa was the trend setting focal point of all wakeboarding. I would natural assume that most wakeboard fashion and invitation comes from either Cali or FL respectively. I guess I missed the memo on Charter Lake, Iowa......

As for shorts or no shorts over wet-suits, do what you like, who cares what others think, let your riding do the talking and just have fun....and yes I did wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning!
RST
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       03-10-2004, 12:05 PM Reply   
Rob4Senate does have a point.
Old    deltahoosier            03-10-2004, 12:18 PM Reply   
I have not given this any thought either way, but, for those who wear the shorts over: Do you get naked in the boat in front of all the people in the boat to get out of your suit or do you just sit in it all day? So which is worse, showing a bulge or getting naked in front of the guys? When you board the delta it is usually and all day thing.