Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-13-2012, 9:46 AM Reply   
My wife grew up in Santa Cruz and is really pushing for us to move there. Obviously the surfing would be great, but I'm not sure I really want to live somewhere without a ride-able lake near by. So whats around and how long of a drive? Thanks.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-13-2012, 10:36 AM Reply   
I don't think so. My Santa Cruz peeps drive 90 minutes to the delta. You could hit Anderson and Palero (?) in Morgan Hill which is closer, but they are only good for week day riding and it's still 45+ minutes.
Old     (wakeviolater)      Join Date: Sep 2004       09-13-2012, 1:40 PM Reply   
there is a private lake just south in Aptos (i think it's aptos)...
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-13-2012, 3:36 PM Reply   
Kelly Lake. There are a bunch of houses and a castle on it. Looks pretty sweet. You could probably even surf there, the lake is 18 feet deep. Then you wouldnt have to bother with paddling into those pesky waves in Santa Cruz. Its near Watsonville.
Old     (Shawn)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-13-2012, 10:10 PM Reply   
I live in Santa Cruz, and it is amazing....for wakeboarding however, it is a bit of a drive for decent water.

There is Kelly Lake in Watsonville, but it is literally a pond and you have to be or know a homeowner to get on.

There is Andeson, Coyote, and Calero lakes just over the hill about 30 min from Santa Cruz, but they are all small county recreational lakes that consistently get blown out mid day, or chopped up with more than a few boats on the water....forget about weekends unless you are taking the kids out to tube!

Well worth the drive is the CA Delta with some of the best conditions in the country. About 90 min from Santa Cruz...and unless I am headed out with someone locally for a quick pull, I make the treck to the Delta without hesitation. I store my boat up there so we can just bolt up. It is a world upon itself up there! (except the sharks...watch out for the Delta Sharks)

Well worth the drive for the luxury of living in Santa Cruz!
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-14-2012, 8:59 AM Reply   
My wife and I are on a plan to move to SC as well, F wakeboarding Steamer Lane all day long!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-14-2012, 9:02 AM Reply   
Calero! That's it. lol
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       09-14-2012, 4:52 PM Reply   
I live in SC as well and there is nothing close. Anderson Lake is probably your best water only in the early 8AM to 11AM and on a weekday then the wind blows in. . Zebra Mussel check, so dry the hell out of your boat and trailer.
Old     (rplogue7)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-15-2012, 6:17 AM Reply   
try the salt water ! lol.. have fun with the seals. I went there to see that concrete ship that they sunk. Wouldn't want to jump in that crap ever..