Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 28, 2009

Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-17-2009, 12:59 PM Reply   
I have my dad's 83 MC to use this summer. I don't really feeling like spending the money or time to install a stereo since it has never had one and doesn't have any holes cutout or anywhere to put the stereo.

I was thinking about putting a pair of tower speakers on the the extended pylon and getting a cheap amp to run those. Can I plug an ipod directly into the amp if I get some rca's that plug into the ipod. I was hoping this could work and maybe use a pac lc1 or remote gain adjust if the amp comes with it to change volumes. Does this sound like it will work?
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-17-2009, 1:34 PM Reply   
don't see why not. get yourself one of those peripheral or pac audio adapters. i actually have an old one you can have. it uses the dock connector to deliver a line level signal. i replaced my old one with the newer peripheral is75 because it charges the new ipod 4th gen nanos and iphone 3G/3Gs. it's yours if you want to give it a try. you may not even have to hook it up to power and ground for it to work.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-17-2009, 1:39 PM Reply   
Cool, I may take you up on that Bruce.

How is the summer going? Any good trips lately? I am heading over to Chelan the 10th-12th of July.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-17-2009, 1:45 PM Reply   
nah, not yet. been going pretty good though. nice hot stretch was great. you move? haven't seen you out, but i've been out on a few weekdays. headed to banks for the 4th and then pend orielle river and then lake roosevelt. getting ready to go! had to replace my heater core this weekend. kind of a drag. had to pull the sub, etc. neck breaker. but didn't have to leave it at dougs and saved a few bucks. :-)

if you want it, let me know, i can send it to you or throw it in the boat. if you're not using a HU, you wouldn't have any issues with gains i wouldn't think, since you'd only have one source, the ipod. i've still got those two amps too, if you're interested.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-17-2009, 2:06 PM Reply   
Dang, good sounding trip. The Pend Orielle river is awesome. I have never been to banks or Roosevelt.

I did move. Over in West Seattle. I couldn't take the Ferry from Bainbridge everyday. I lasted a week doing that. Now I am 3 miles from work. I may even start riding a bike to work.

Man, I forgot about the amps. What amps do you have? Maybe I can find a cheap sub in a box, have a 4 channel amp running 2 tower speakers and the sub. I would just have to mount the amp to the sub and run some quick disconnect cables from the battery. I like how ghetto this could be. Portable boat stereo. I think I am on to something here.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-17-2009, 2:20 PM Reply   
ha ha, well i'm probably not much help in that department then. one's an AB 2-channel i was running at 2Ohm to the old inboats and the other is a class D mono sub amp. they're those US Amps Shane put in. like you said, sounds like you need a decent 4-channel. West Seattle, right on. we lived there for quite a while. so i take it Lake WA is your new stomping grounds. :-) if you want any of this stuff just let me know.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-17-2009, 3:15 PM Reply   
I don't kick it on Lake Wasington much unless I am out in my dad's yacht. Lake Washington is a crappy place for an 83 Mastercraft. I have been heading to the lake house for the weekend since I moved. My couch is still in the house so I think I get dibs on it when I head over there. I am actually heading down to Hood Canal with the Mastercraft saturday to get a saltwater set in. Do you have any idea what the wattage is on the Clarion? that is the AB 2 channel. If it is at least 50-75 watts a channel it should get the job done for 2 crappy tower speakers. Really I just want some tunes in the boat and don't want to have to bring a boom box.
Old     (ryker1)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-17-2009, 4:11 PM Reply   
FYI on your original question yes you can do this. If you tune the gain on the amps properly you can just use the ipod for volume control rather than getting a pac dealio.

I've been using this setup on a 3amp system for almost a year.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-17-2009, 4:27 PM Reply   
Thanks Chad. Does it distort if you turn up the volume on the IPOD all the way? Do you have to limit it to 75% or so of the ipod volume. This was the reason for the PAC. Then I could leave the volume on the ipod at 75% and put the gain on the amp where I want and use the PAC to control volume. But if I don't need to that work as well.

I saw a set of those KMT6's for $205 online. I may have to get a set of those and an amp that will do 100-150 watts by 2. Those KMT6's are 4 ohms right?
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-17-2009, 4:42 PM Reply   
i just realized something. the pac or peripheral won't work, because it won't let you use the volume control on the ipod. you'd need to just by an mini-jack to RCA adapter, but would still work.
Old     (ryker1)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-18-2009, 5:15 PM Reply   
Honestly, I never tried the IPOD at full volume. I just tuned the gains with the ipod at about 80% volume. Most never turn it that loud because at that point it is uncomfortably loud in the boat. I can reach the ipod to the drivers seat but it's set up for the spotter to control the volume. The stereo switch in the dash control the rem power on for the amps so as the driver if I need to turn the stereo off quickly for whatever reason (including if someone accidentally turns the ipod too loud) I can do it very quickly.

I run the KMT6 with ZX450.2 amp. The speakers are actually closer to 3 ohms.
Old     (tomfish)      Join Date: Apr 2003       06-18-2009, 5:50 PM Reply   
check out ssvworks.com and get one of their bluetooth setups. it is sweet.
http://www.ssvworks.com/sc-am4313.html

(Message edited by tomfish on June 18, 2009)
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-18-2009, 6:43 PM Reply   
Brett I think the KMT-6 is 3 ohm.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-18-2009, 9:38 PM Reply   
I think I may pass on the KMT6's even though the price is so good. I really don't care about hearing while riding. I just want something that sounds better in the boat. From what I have read a pair of 6.5's will sound better in the boat then the KMT6's. I don't want a super bright or tinny sound. Does that sound correct?

Hate, are you going to be over at Chelan the 10-12 of July? I am heading over for that weekend.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-18-2009, 9:57 PM Reply   
Would I be able to run a pair of KMT6's off of 2 channels of a 4 channel amp in full range and then use the other 2 channels bridged into a sub?
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-19-2009, 10:35 AM Reply   
Volume leveled all my mp3s to 90 db and I can turn iPod all the way up. No problem.