Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 17, 2007

Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-25-2007, 7:39 PM Reply   
Today we had the first opportunity to ride with some extra weight over stock on the X1. The wake was ridiculous; it booted you to the sky, but we were having issues keeping it clean. It seemed VERY sensitive to weight and would curl slightly on one side or another.

Here's what we were running (total weight including stock ballast):
320 in bow under seats
400 in/above ski locker
620 total in rear lockers

3 people in cockpit of boat including driver
70 ft. 22 mph

I was thinking maybe we're running too slow?
Thanks for your input; I appreciate it.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-25-2007, 8:04 PM Reply   
Going faster will clean up the wake while it also puts your body more at risk.

Adding more weight to the front will clean up the wake while it reduces some of the wake vert.

Reducing weight in the back will also clean up the wake while it deduces some of the wake girth.

Keep experimenting and learn from what others do in the same boat (can't help you there).

Try moving the people around first because they move easier than fat sacks.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-25-2007, 9:23 PM Reply   
try moving more weight up front
Old     (tidalwake0504)      Join Date: Oct 2004       05-26-2007, 12:14 AM Reply   
deduces...i like that one
Old    K.B.C.            05-26-2007, 7:29 AM Reply   
bump it up a bit and add some more weight to the front
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-26-2007, 9:03 AM Reply   
Yep, too much in the rear. The rear is sensitive. Push the weight forward or take a hundred pounds from the very rear.

The swim step should not be buried.
Old     (projectely4)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-26-2007, 1:18 PM Reply   
with that much weight at 70 feet will be hard for it not to curl over. speed it up a little with alittle more weight in the front and go out to 75 feet.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-26-2007, 5:32 PM Reply   
Thanks for the replies. Just got back from a quick set, and moved 100 from the cocpit to the tip of the bow, and kicked the speed up to 23. Seemed to work well. In response to billy, I'll probably take the line out to 75 once the season progresses a bit; this is our first real weekend out and still trying to get back everything I had last season.
Thanks again.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-26-2007, 8:50 PM Reply   
You should be running about 500 in the front, that will keep it clean and keep you planing pretty nicely. Then just use the people to move around and adjust the wake, it is amazing how much of a difference moving 5 inches makes.
Old     (etakk7)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-26-2007, 8:53 PM Reply   
I don't understand why you would have problems at that configuration. Last time out I had maybe 300 up front, 400 in the center, and 1200 in the back, and at 23 I thought the wake was great. I do plan on getting more up front but I've never had those sensitivity issues. Maybe the new 14 pitch prop makes a difference?
Old     (dfwharvey)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-28-2007, 8:39 AM Reply   
In my X1 I run about 1000 in the rear and about 900-1100 in the front/ski locker. I usually end up with 900 in the front and a person or two up front which gives me exactly what I want. I try to add weight evenly. I run about 22.5-24 depending on rope length.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-12-2007, 8:16 AM Reply   
the problem is you don't have a nautique.... its just that simple
Old     (retch)      Join Date: May 2007       06-12-2007, 9:06 AM Reply   
Nick Tomsyck posted "the problem is you don't have a nautique.....it's just that simple"

Is that the clean wake of a nautique in your profile? Just curious and nice air by the way...
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-12-2007, 9:14 AM Reply   
Retch, the 210 will always have a washy wake on the opposite side of where you are cutting out, It can be that sensitive to the weight. It's actually a nice thing as you can cut out hard and firm up the wake you are hitting and wash out the other side should you case the wake.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-12-2007, 9:16 AM Reply   
Seriously...everyone knows the SS/210 wake is sick, but it ranks near the bottom in terms of cleanliness and probably at the very top in terms of weight sensitivity. That said, both these wakes are well worth the time and patience it takes to dial them in (I'm still working on my 2000 X-Star).

(Message edited by jcv on June 12, 2007)
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-12-2007, 9:18 AM Reply   
Yeah, that was necessary to bring this thread back with that informative comment

The X1 had a cleaner wake than your Nauti when cutting when it wasn't dialed in...

Just a little update on our setup, got it all figured out nicely. I bumped my rope out to 75 and am riding at 23. Wake is firm, clean, and big.
Old     (phat_in_cincy)      Join Date: May 2003       06-12-2007, 9:20 AM Reply   
Sorry to ask such a baseline question, but was there a rider when you were testing out the wake? If so, was the rider directly behind the boat? The wake will wash out the opposite side the rider is pulling out to.