Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-26-2011, 2:55 PM Reply   
So I am thinking when I graduate next year and sell my current boat I may be getting something new, I have been just casually looking around but a new loaded A22 is my lead choice and then a used 230. Prefferably I want something new and with a warranty for a cheaper price for obvious reasons but how does the A22 wake compare. I would have to say a loaded 230 is my favorite wake now so how does the A22 compare in size and shape? I saw that video of Twelker and Dowdy with the 3 750s and the nose triangle on top of factory (plug and play?) and it looked decent but def not what I expected as that would total over 6000lbs. Yea i know it should be hard to tell from a video and I know everyone is going to say go ride in one but I dont know ayone with one who would let me slam it like I would want. I have heard nothing but good things but everyone that has told me was wearing owners goggles so I dont know.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-26-2011, 3:44 PM Reply   
I owned 3 230s in a row. I now have an a22. I could have gotten another 230 at cost but I went with the axis. I don't regret it for a second. The wake behind the a22 is hands down better when extra weight is added. I had trouble with my 230 wake washing when I weighed them heavy. I tried for 3 seasons to dial hat wake in and gave up. Factory or with just a little extra weight and the 230 was fine, but with more than 1500 extra lbs and I always had trouble. It's not owners goggles. I've been riding for almost ten years and I can tell u that the a22 wake is slamming.
Old     (ajf4242)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-26-2011, 6:32 PM Reply   
The wake with just stock plug-n-play is flat out sweet. I've ridden behind a lot of boats, and I have to agree that the a22 is the best wake i've ever ridden (also have ridden a loaded 230). I had a 2008 22 Supra and am trading it in for an Axis mainly because of the wake. This boat for the money is gonna be hard to beat.
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-26-2011, 7:39 PM Reply   
Just playing devils advocate chatt but if u are running a plug and play in ur axis and well under 2000 in ur 230 then that would make all the difference. I was kinda curious what they would do with similar weight. The 230 I'm used to ran about 3300 lbs and didn't wash unless we ran less than 23.7. How does ur 383 compare to the zr6 in the 230 for gas? Well I guess that's a moot point too if u had only half the weight in the 230. Does the a22 have the same hull as the old malibus or is it a completely new design?
Old     (jmanst15)      Join Date: Jun 2010       04-26-2011, 11:39 PM Reply   
this is a great thread. A battle of the Titan(230) with the new arrival(axis)! The wakeboard boat world is getting completely out of hand with pricing these days. I would love to own a flagship wakeboard boat(23 lsv dream boat) but know that I will never be able to afford a brand new one. The A22 is not one of those rinky dink POS's like sessions or metcraft or whatever, or so it seems. I am starting to really jump on board with Axis.

ONE UP for company's putting out a quality product at a reasonable price in this economy!

Last edited by jmanst15; 04-26-2011 at 11:41 PM. Reason: spelling
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-27-2011, 6:33 AM Reply   
For the record, I never said I only tried running 2k in my 230s. On the contrary, I tried to run the exact same setup in my 230's that I have in my A22, which is two of the Fly High 1000lb surf sacs in each rear compartment, as well as a 1000lb bow triangle and factory ballast. I added 500lb sacs in the walk through area of the 230 trying to keep the front from porpoising. I tried less weight in the rear, less weight in the front, speeding up, etc. When I added over 1500lbs of extra weight, on top of factory in my 230's, the wake was always tempermental. I lived and breathed those boats for over three years and knew them inside and out. One of my good friends owned the local Correct Craft dealership and five of my friends have 230's. I have a ton of experience with those boat. I'm not just throwing crap out there just because I changed brands. I bought an A22 because I thought it was a great value and because it produces a better wake, hands down.

I loved a LOT of things about my 230's. They were roomy, were built very well, held their value, gave me very little trouble overall, looked great, had all sorts of bells and whistles, etc. However, I just was no longer willing to pay so much more (almost double) for a boat that simply did not produce the best wake.

As for the ZR6 vs. the Raptor 400, it's hard to compare. The fuel consumption when weighed heavy seems about the same. Any boat's going to blow through gas when loaded really heavy. What I have noticed is that, when running around the lake, surfing, and riding with factory ballast + wedge, the A22 seems to do better on fuel than the 230's did when operated in the same manner (I had the ZR6 in all 3 of my 230's). However, to be fair, the 230 is a bigger, heavier, and more combersome boat. It's going to burn more fuel to push that thing around. I had no trouble out of my ZR6's. That's a great powerplant for sure.

One other thing to consider - and you can verify this on the nautique boards - is that if you buy a used 230 with zero off, lots of people had surging issues with the '08-early '09 model year boats when weighed heavy. I had that problem with both my '08 and '09. It was much less noticable with my '10. However, the '10 did sometimes lose sat feed and cut off completely when riding in tight areas (like up river in Knoxville near Sea Ray).

There is no doubt that the 230 isa great boat. It produces an awesome wake to a point, and then it begins to have problems. At least that's my opinion and experience. The A22 wake is just much more user friendly and can get bigger and bigger without washing.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-27-2011, 6:36 AM Reply   
The A22 hull is a new hull. It was based on a newer LSV hull and then tweaked substantially to produce the best possible wake at factory ballast and way beyond. It is absolutely not the same hull as is or has ever been on a malibu.