Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003

Old    brianthomas            07-28-2003, 4:49 PM Reply   
Has anyone used the skylon skyrack boardrack for pylons? How did they work out?
Old    mb_girl            07-29-2003, 7:49 AM Reply   
We have that one & here's my opinion:

Pros: Solid design, gets boards up & out of the way, you can put skis in the top 2 racks in a pinch, never lost a board out of the rack

Cons: Can be difficult for shorter people to get the bungees all the way around the boards, when circling to get a boarder & the boarder first gets the handle the rope can get caught on the boards if you have them on the top (usually the rope just comes right off so it's not a problem, also the height that you have the rack set at would affect this - we have it set relatively high because my husband is a tall guy)

That's about it. It's a good product for the money & we have no complaints.

(Message edited by MB Girl on July 29, 2003)
Old    kailua_al            07-29-2003, 8:38 AM Reply   
Tracie,
Do you happen to have a pic of your boat with the pylon racks loaded up with boards/skis? I've been wondering myself what it looks like. I've got a pylon and have been considering adding racks. They would go above my bimini, but I'm having trouble envisioning what it would look like.
Old    brianthomas            07-29-2003, 9:18 AM Reply   
Thats the same thing with me Kailua, I always thought that racks on a pole looked silly. But then I saw a loaded skylon rack on a pole and I thought it looked ok, plus I cannot stand having 3 to 4 boards laying in the walk way. This will open up room for side sacs to be laying in the walk way :-). Mine come today and I will post some pics of what it looks like with boards.
Old    mb_girl            07-29-2003, 12:18 PM Reply   
I'm going out tonight so I'll get some with the rack loaded. I've got a couple pics with the boat on the trailer & pole/racks set up, but no boards on it. Look for it tomorrow.
Old    kailua_al            07-29-2003, 2:28 PM Reply   
That would be great, thanks! I would even would be curious as to the ones you have already without the boards.
Old    walt            07-29-2003, 3:29 PM Reply   
I have the Skylon rack and it works great for me
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-29-2003, 3:39 PM Reply   
Al,Walts profile pic has it.I have one too.Just not in my profile pic.

(Message edited by gunz on July 29, 2003)
Old    mb_girl            07-29-2003, 3:56 PM Reply   
Okay here ya go...
Boat with Skylon Skyrack

Our pole is a 2 piece Skylon that is semi-adjustable in height, so depending on your pole that could also affect where the rack ends up in relation to a bimini.

(Message edited by MB Girl on July 29, 2003)
Old     (dba4life)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-29-2003, 8:20 PM Reply   
I have a skyrack on my pylon. Works well. I have also mounted speakers to it. I had the same issue as others with the rope getting caught. But I bought an PWC impeller protector (basically a shorter "shock tube" from Overtons and this helps stop the rope from getting around the rack.

You can see a pict of my boat with the rack here:

http://members.aol.com/dba4life/Supra_Front

and

http://members.aol.com/dba4life/Supra_Side

I would buy it again for sure. I could not imagine having the boards on the floor.

Kevin
Old    mb_girl            07-29-2003, 9:39 PM Reply   
That's a great tip on the shock tube - I'll have to give that one a try.
Old     (mainelaker)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-30-2003, 2:15 AM Reply   
I have one mounted on my tower & it works great. Never get's caught in the rope & is the cheapest way to store boards in the boat.
Old    brianthomas            07-30-2003, 10:27 AM Reply   
Mine skyrack just came today and I noticed that there a no nuts on the screws that holds the two sides together. Have you ever had a problem with this vibrating and coming loose? I imagine it would be disaster if it did.
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-30-2003, 11:09 AM Reply   
Here is a picture of mine. It works good. My next boat will have a tower.

Old    mb_girl            07-30-2003, 11:58 AM Reply   
Brian,
Mine just has the 2 allen bolts that tighten down - no nuts for the bolts to thread into. Haven't had any problems whatsoever with them backing out. Just make sure you tighten them down good.
Old    kailua_al            07-30-2003, 1:38 PM Reply   
Thanks for those who have posted pics. That helps get an idea of what it would look like. Doesn't look bad, especially in light of the alternative ($$tower w/ racks$$). And a good idea on the PWC Impeller Protector. I see that Overton's (catalog only, not on their website) also sells a rope guide for their pylon (to keep the ropes off the racks), but I don't know if it would work with a Sklyon or AirBoom pylon (the Overton's pylon is 2.5").

Tracie, if you went ahead and took pics of your boat (which is very nice, BTW) with the racks loaded, I'd like to see them!

Thanks

(Message edited by kailua_al on July 30, 2003)
Old    kailua_al            07-30-2003, 1:52 PM Reply   
I found the rope guide in the Overton's On-Line Catalog http://www.overtonsonline.com/cgi-bin/overtons/order/large.cgi?17540
Old    kailua_al            07-30-2003, 1:54 PM Reply   
And here is the impeller protector http://www.overtonsonline.com/cgi-bin/overtons/order/large.cgi?31526
Old     (dba4life)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-30-2003, 2:27 PM Reply   
That is the exact impeller protector I use. I wanted the rope guide - but it was $70 versus I think under $10.

I think the racks look much better filled up then empty. I just looked and all my picts are with it empty though. Here is what the rack looks like from the rear.

Kevin
Old    kailua_al            07-30-2003, 2:45 PM Reply   
The impeller protector is $11.99, the rope guide is $69.99..., if you say the impeller protector works, then that is a no-brainer! Thanks for the pics! Nice boat as well.

FYI, I'm actually looking at the AirBoom rack. They have one with one side for wakeboards (2), and one side for waterskis (also 2). We still ski, and those skis have to go somewhere as well! And I can see by the other pics posted that it does look better loaded up!

http://airboom.com/shop/index.html Click on the "Air Racks" link on the left side.
Old    kailua_al            07-30-2003, 2:47 PM Reply   
Kevin,
How did you run your wiring for the speakers? Is it just external? Does it get in the way?
Old    mb_girl            07-30-2003, 4:11 PM Reply   
Kailua Al (cool name BTW),

I didn't get pics of the boat the other night, sorry. We're in the middle of re-doing the trailer bunks & having some other trailer work done at the same time, so the boat's up at the lake totally stripped until Friday. I thought that I had a friend's trailer borrowed, but that didn't work out. I'll get some pics posted as soon as I can (maybe Thursday evening). (Thanks for the compliment - it may not be tricked out like a lot of boats out there, but it's payed for & I love it, so I guess that's what counts.)
Old     (dba4life)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-30-2003, 8:14 PM Reply   
Hi,

If anyone wants more detail just ask and I will type it up / take pictures if needed. Just below the rack I drilled a hole in the pylon. The speaker wire runs from the speakers into the pylon and then down the inside of it. But it cannot go all the way to the bottom because the factory pylon is down there. So there was an existing hole in the pylon right about where the top of the motor cover is. The wires come out of the pylon at that point. Then are then "external" for about the next 1.5 feet where I wired RCA style connections. I then wired a little receiver for the RCA connections on the motor box and ran the speaker wire under the floor. Overall it looks pretty clean and the speakers wires do not get in the way at all.

Kevin
Old     (dba4life)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-30-2003, 8:16 PM Reply   
With the RCA connections I can disconnect and take the pylon/rack/speakers out. Takes 5 seconds to disconnect.
Old    kailua_al            07-31-2003, 7:10 AM Reply   
Tracie,
No problem on the pics, I'll be here! And payed for, huh...., now that is a GREAT feature! Got a few years (quite a few, actually) to go to get there!

Kevin,
Thanks for the info. I'll have to see what kind of access I have under the floorboards back up to where the CD player is. I hadn't thought about going into the motor box..., duh, it's like right there.
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-31-2003, 1:11 PM Reply   
kevin, What speakers are thoes, and how do they attach to the skyrack? I like the look a lot. Think I'd like to duplicate the setup.
Old     (socaldave)      Join Date: May 2002       07-31-2003, 1:12 PM Reply   
Does anyone have any experience with the V-Drive extended Skylon pole? It seems like the support poles coming down towards the front would get in the way of the racks. Anyone?
Old    frontsideshiftd            07-31-2003, 4:19 PM Reply   
Al,
I have the Airboom, airrack. I tried to post a picture but I couldn't get it to work. Anyway its not a bad rack but the forks are a polycarbonate material or something that resembles plastic. I had bought one of the first pairs they made and they broke. The second pair also broke. I'm now on my 3rd pair and they have lasted over a year now so I think they fixed the problem. I must say the customer service was great, exchanged no problem, but I'm still a little leary that they might break again. Just thought I'd let you know.
Old    kailua_al            08-04-2003, 7:30 AM Reply   
Thanks for the info. I've called Airboom, and they tell me that now the racks are all metal... probably got tired of making exchanges! At least they stood behind their product!
Old    mb_girl            08-06-2003, 9:03 PM Reply   
Kailua Al,
Sorry it took so long. Between thunderstorms in our area & the trailer work, we haven't been out in a little while. Here ya go:

Boat with loaded racks
Old     (mainelaker)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-07-2003, 2:42 AM Reply   
I have a rack & tower mount for sale. I just bought a new boat with tower racks so I don't have a need for the old one. I'll sell the Skylon rack with the tower mount for $175.00 plus shipping if anyone is interested. I like it better than the two board racks on my tower BTW. The only problem is that wet boards drip on whoever is in the front seats.
Old    kailua_al            08-07-2003, 6:57 AM Reply   
Thanks for the pic, Tracie! Looks good!

Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-07-2003, 7:53 AM Reply   
carl, check your pm's :-)