Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 23, 2006

Old    wakebmxer            03-19-2006, 2:02 PM Reply   
Want to start the year off on a new Board since they dont make the Balance any more. I usually break 1 or 2 a year and dont want to ride a new set up half way through the season. Anyone with legitament skills riden them??? Been stuck in my skatepark riding my bike all winter. NorCalRampRats.com
Old     (fumanchoo)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-19-2006, 3:08 PM Reply   

By Rhett (rhettb) on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 1:24 pm:

Demoed the PS3 and the Watson about a week ago and posted what I thought on our local forum - here is what I thought of the boards

Demoed both today, and if you've been reading reviews on these boards, then you may be just as conFOOsed as I was. Some say the PS3 is faster than the Watson, some say it is slower, basically everyone has a different opinion, so I decided to post mine and add to the confusion.

Keep in mind this was the first time I had ridden since October or November - rode my 05 Substance first to get the feel back and then went to the PS3. To be honest, I couldn't tell that much of a difference in the PS3 and my Substance (I rode the 137 PS3 compared to my 141 Substance) - I thought the PS3 was a little looser than my Substance, which goes against all the reviews I read (and by loose I mean it felt a little squirly (sp?) when not on edge, and it took a little more to lock in the edge). It had softer landings than my Substance, but besides that, I really couldn't tell that much difference in the pop, speed, or any other aspect of the board.

Next I rode the Watson (138) - thought the Watson was faster, more aggressive, and tighter on edge than the Substance and PS3, and by faster and more aggressive I mean it really locked in and accelerated quickly when you put it on edge. Although the edge and tracking were great when cutting hard, the Watson was also very easy to slide around in the flats, on the wake, etc - probably due to the huge spine it has running down the middle of the board. The landings on this board were also better than the substance, and maybe a little better than the PS3. If you use more of a mellow cut, the Watson has the best pop by far, it really boots you straight up for wake to wake riders. The only thing I had negative to say about the Watson is that I couldn't find the sweet spot for the pop when edging in hard for raleys and other tricks I wanted to take way out into the flats. Not saying the pop was bad, I just know I didn't find the sweet spot. Its also necessary to note I was dead tired by this time and that pop I couldn't find may have been rider error, or rust from not riding in a while.

Anyway, thats my opinion of the two boards. If I buy one, I will get the Watson, but probably the larger size. Hope this conFOOses everyone more
Old     (projectely4)      Join Date: Apr 2003       03-19-2006, 3:45 PM Reply   
i demoed the watson and i am riding the Shane right now. I was also riding a Subjekt for the last 2 years and a balance before that.

when i tried the watson it had pretty good pop but i didn't like it when trying to take a trick into the flats because it felt like i was hitting a wall with it but this was also partial to riding behind a SAN 210. the board had a very inconsistent edge and i never knew how it was going to release off the wake. the board was also lees aggresive and a little slower than my subjket. i tested the Watson without the middle fin.

Now the Shane i felt much more used to. Compared to the Subjekt it is slightly faster, just as aggressive and much more pop. the board felt just as loose when in a neutral position as the watson and released as quickly as you would want it to but when i got on edge it held its edge really good and would speed up if you really wanted to take a trick out into the flats.

if you are coming from a balance you would probably like how the shane edges much more than the watson.

In a summary i felt the watson was a more mellow wake to wake board with soft landings and its edging was very loose

where the shane i could take a slow wake to wake cut or take a more aggresive cut into the flats and it edging was very responsive while still having the ability to release on demand.
they both had soft landings but the watson was a little softer but also a littlemore squirrly on the landings.
Old    wakebmxer            03-19-2006, 4:18 PM Reply   
Thanks guys, confirmed what I already suspected. How does the shorter version of the Shane feel??
Old     (projectely4)      Join Date: Apr 2003       03-19-2006, 4:49 PM Reply   
um it is really nice because it allows you to spin easier and it gives you more pop. i was riding a 141 subjekt and i am riding the 140 shane
Old    wakebmxer            03-19-2006, 5:01 PM Reply   
I am on the 43 Balance. wonder what that would be like shortening 3cm