Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 04, 2005

Old     (nvip9r)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-20-2005, 10:03 AM Reply   
Hey guys, looking for some input and advice...I am installing a stereo on my '86 Dixie, just got done doing the Monster Tower...and now adding the stereo...I got the Rockford RFX9220 Head Unit running to 2 Rockford Amps, P3002 for the Tower Speakers(2), P2002 for the MBQuart NKA116 boat speakers(4), and a Viper d300.1 Sub Amp to the 12" Rockford Sub (1). My problem is I only have a 35A alternator and 1 battery. I only plan on running the stereo when the boat is running. Do I need 2 batteries? and should I just upgrade the Alternator and Circuit Breaker to a 135A Alternator and a 140A Circuit Breaker? Or is that overkill? Since the boat is old do I have to worry about problems with the electrical/motor? Or should I look for someone that has redone their stereo and put a HO Alternator and maybe buy there old 50-70A Alternator from them? I am sure there other questions that I am not asking...but good starting point for some help...
Thanks for any input...Nick
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-20-2005, 10:40 AM Reply   
If your going to just play your stereo when the boat is running a HO alt would be overkill. It wouldnt hurt to upgrade to 60-75 amps just for safety measure. Also a second battery in the boat is never overkill. It really sucks when it wont start. Just run it thru a perko switch and you'll always have the added security
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       04-20-2005, 10:50 AM Reply   
That is a very small alt....if its a 35A Alt your probably only seeing 20-25 at boarding speeds.....your amps will pull more than that. If your riding around all day with the radio on you'll more than likely drain the battery. Definataley reccomend upgrading to a min of 60-70 A alt. IMO a second battery is a must on any system in an old boat.
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-20-2005, 11:40 AM Reply   
A 35A alt is the bare minimum for charging systems. A upgrade is a must, Ive seen 35A alt in carbed cars that if you turn the lights on and the wipers at the same time the wipers slow down! You can put in a bunch of batteries and just run your stereo off that and recharge them everytime out.
Old     (nvip9r)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-21-2005, 5:57 PM Reply   
So it sounds like I would be fine getting a 60-70A alternator and adding another battery with a perko switch. Is there a reference for hooking up a second battery and wiring specs on which # gauge wire to use for doing the hook up?
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       04-22-2005, 6:42 AM Reply   
The wiring is very easy to add another battery.....to be on the safe side I'd run a min of 4ga.
Old     (nvip9r)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-23-2005, 5:25 PM Reply   
Now maybe a couple more dumb questions...but is it worth just to upgrade to a 135A alternator instead of the 70A...its only like $30 more(on ebay)...just incase I upgrade the stereo or add more lights or add something else? Will the motor have any problems if I upgrade the alternator to the 135A from the 35A? Thanks for any help...
Old     (tonality)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-25-2005, 7:21 AM Reply   
The only thing that has a problem with a more capable alternator is your wallet. If it's not hurting your wallet, then go for it. I'd say the step from a 70 to a 135 should probably cost much more than that...but you need to be careful and check out what the idle amps are. 135 at wot is great for charging batteries, but the reason you can find a 135amp so cheap is because the idle amps is usually very low. Just make sure you know what you're getting.