Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (noobsurfer)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-25-2011, 8:19 PM Reply   
I'm sure this has been discussed a billion times but I'd like your opinion. I'm familiar with Nauti's and their hull design and have found a few in my price range. I'd have to go back a few years but there are some clean boats out there. I've looked into some other brands and have surfed behind an Xstar and a couple Supras but the year of those boats make them out of my price range. I looked at a Tige but I did not know that they used wood stringers all the way up to 2002. I'm not opposed to an older boat, but more modern build techniques are a must. Probably why I like Correct Craft so much as they are solid boats. At any rate, I need some help as to what hull designs of the older boats, like Centurion for example, I looked an Avalanche, but they also have Typhoons and Hurricanes and I have no clue what the differences are there if any. I have the luxury of taking my time to find a deal and am competent to do any maintenance and repairs. Some will say you cant find a boat in my price range, but I know they are there, the Nauti SS in 1995 has the same hull as a 2007 and may be what I end up with but I'd like to make an informed decision first. Any and all input welcomed and appreciated.
Old     (noobsurfer)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-25-2011, 8:22 PM Reply   
Haha, I didnt mention a price range. I'd like to stay under 25k.
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-26-2011, 11:15 AM Reply   
Avy: 22ft long, 100 in wide and 30 in draft. I am pretty sure the hull has not changed
Typhoon: 23 ft long, 100 in wide and 30 in draft (same as Avy just a foot longer)
Hurricane: I believe this is a 21 ft boat now known as an Elite V. But I am not that sure.

Look for an 03 Avy. I think you could find one for +/- $27K
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-26-2011, 11:23 AM Reply   
Here is a sick deal. I surf one all the time! Put a fat sac in and you are good to go. Use U ship and have it delivered!!

http://austin.craigslist.org/boa/2560350734.html

Also

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/2558302699.html

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/boa/2555114848.html

http://onlyinboards.com/MemberArea/C....aspx?ID=29730
Old     (bhyatt_ohp)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-26-2011, 11:33 AM Reply   
Wood stringers, that he states he doesn't want. May I suggest: http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=30118
Old     (noobsurfer)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-26-2011, 2:36 PM Reply   
Thanks for the links dudes. I guess my main question is what boat is gonna give me the best wake in this price range. JKW this is the info I'm looking for. Thanks a bunch. Anyone else know about the Centurion Hurricane and I'm seeing alot of Elite V's so would like opinions on those please. Duffy, are there hull differences with the Tige boats? Thanks Bhyatt, the VLX is the way to go for a good wake on an older Malibu? I'm really just trying to find info and then go research some deals. And if any of you have an opinion between these and an old SAN, I'd really like to hear it. I'm old school and used to ski behind Nauti's and always liked them.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-26-2011, 2:38 PM Reply   
Lots of good info, we usually tell people to look for something like:

Sanger v215
Centurion Avalanche
Tige 22v or 22Ve

Those all can usually be found at good deals. The only caveat is that the sanger v215 is probably found the cheapest most of the time, but has the lowest freeboard. The other 2 are much better for loading down, and take weight really well.

Good luck on your search.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-26-2011, 2:50 PM Reply   
Stay away from hurricane's and elite v's. Avalanche will be the best older centurion. The Tige 22v will have a better wave then the 21v but both are good. Older malibu will throw a worse wave compared to the Tige and Centurion. Also look at sanger v215, sometimes you can find them cheap.
Old     (noobsurfer)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-26-2011, 3:16 PM Reply   
Cool cool. Thats the info I'm lookin for. How bout old Supra's? I'm a goofy rider and ride switch behind my bro's boats so I don't care about port or starboard.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-27-2011, 10:09 AM Reply   
How old? Really old? The tige 21v will be your best super budget surf boat. They can be picked up for like 18k sometimes, deep and produce a good wave. Look for the biggest engine you can. I would stay away from the 315 hp motor. Look for at least the 330hp black scorpion.
Old     (Woody)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-27-2011, 11:10 AM Reply   
Duffy, what wake do you like better, the 22v or avalanche? I looking for a used boat and these two fall in the price range. Also is one wake steeper that the other, making one better for surf and one for skim?
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-27-2011, 11:39 AM Reply   
steepness is mainly how the boat is weighted and how the TAPS (wakeplate for tige), if the boat has one, is set.
Old     (noobsurfer)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-27-2011, 12:03 PM Reply   
Duffy, as far as old goes, as long as it has composite stringers. If I pour money in an old boat I just want it to last. I can only go back as far as 2003 with the Tige's and although I see one online for 18k, most are around the 25k range which is in my budget but there are also Centurions and others out there for that price. Anyone care to offer a comparison to a SAN? I'm really curious about this because I like CC and I can go back to 95 which might give me a little more bang for my bucks. Again, thanks for all the help.
Old     (xmcmillenx)      Join Date: May 2006       08-27-2011, 12:17 PM Reply   
Heres my advice, take 2k per year and go surfing somewhere cool. Thats 12 years worth of real surfing.
Old     (noobsurfer)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-27-2011, 12:28 PM Reply   
I live in Houston, I have 2 Fry custom longboards and a shortboard. I surf whenever it is good on the Texas coast, and it doesnt cost me a dime. Got that covered bro.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-27-2011, 12:52 PM Reply   
22v can handle more weight because of the larger lockers, more weight = more push for the wave. Also the boat is probably a foot taller so you can run more weight safer. I think they are both great but I would say the 22v would have a better wave. The avalanche is a sweet surf boat though. Also if it's a storm II or III, it already has the pumps installed, all you have to do is pull the tanks and just install sacs (it's a little tougher then that) and you are ready to surf. Older Tige's didn't come with ballast unless the local dealer put them in. The taps system doesn't do much, more it bring the nose down and helps calm the was from the prop. I would say the avalanche has a better skim wave, longer and not as sharp- steap. The 22v will have a more vertical wave and it won't be as long. If I was you I would pick the one you get a better deal on. That's usually how I pick
Old     (noobsurfer)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-27-2011, 5:08 PM Reply   
Duffy man you are being really helpful, thanks bro. Is everyone here anti SAN? Haha jus sayin.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-27-2011, 7:11 PM Reply   
Nautique has had that great hull for 16 years? and nobody can duplicate it? anyone want to buy a 2005 VLX?
Old     (Woody)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-28-2011, 6:17 AM Reply   
Thats the thing that gets me about the older Tige's, most of the dont have a ballast system.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-28-2011, 10:55 AM Reply   
The newer san hull is great for surfing. The 230 is one of my favorite boats. The older ones aren't as good. If you wakeboard then getting an older san is a great idea. They throw sick wakes.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-28-2011, 11:06 AM Reply   
Ballast systems aren't hard to install. Plus most stock ballast systems are painfully slow.