Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 19, 2006

Old     (crghou)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-03-2006, 4:09 PM Reply   
I know someone has posted about this but I dont know if there is a difference in the 02-03 outback and the 98...

I have been looking around for a boat and ran across a 98 moomba outback for a good price. I was wondering if I put some weight in the boat would it put up a decent wakebaord wake? Also it was made to be a cheap boat so is it going to end up being a money pit trying to keep it running. It has about 400 hours on it right now.

Thanks
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-03-2006, 5:35 PM Reply   
Heck no, Moomba's are certainly not cheap boats. They have the same lay up, drivetrain, and electonics as the top quality towboats. Where they save on cost is mostly in the interior materials and accessories.

It'll throw a decent rampy style wake. Load it up with weight and it'll be fine. It'll never be pro level, so if that's what you're looking for, keep looking.

I've got a '99. It has been a perfect boat - has never let me down. The hulls changed in 2001.
Old     (crghou)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-03-2006, 5:52 PM Reply   
No I deff dont need a pro sized wake. Just looking for a good intermediate wake at a good price until I can put more money into a boat. Yeah I know they are good boats but just want to make sure since the outback is almost at the bottom of the line.

How much weight do you use in yours and what is your layout for it?
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-03-2006, 6:40 PM Reply   
2 540 lb sacks, placed on either side of the motor, and some weight under the bow seats (about 100 lbs per side).

Whatever you do, don't weight directly across the back of the boat. The gas tank is in a bad spot on these boats and can rupture.

Good boat - if you can get a good deal, I'd say go with it.
Old     (crghou)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-03-2006, 9:19 PM Reply   
wow that is very good to know...thanks
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-04-2006, 7:13 AM Reply   
"Heck no, Moomba's are certainly not cheap boats"

"Whatever you do, don't weight directly across the back of the boat. The gas tank is in a bad spot on these boats and can rupture."

Stay far away from a boat that runs a risk of "Rupturing." That means they are NOT built well.
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-05-2006, 5:08 AM Reply   
Thanks for reposting everything that I said Paul.

As for the rupturing, it's as simple as the gas tanks on these model years being located directly under the removeable floor in the back of the boat. Just a bad location, not poor quality.
Old     (mattbob)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-05-2006, 11:30 AM Reply   
We had a 98' Moomba Outback a few years ago. Some of my best wakeboarding memories are on that boat. We never had a problem with the boat in three years time. The boat does sit very low in the water so you have to be a skilled driver to keep the bow dry. When they changed hulls they corrected that problem.
Old    moombarider132            05-06-2006, 6:45 PM Reply   
i have an 05 outback and when i weight it down i always put 400in the rear locker 680 across the back 400 on either side of the motor 540 in the walkway and two 150 bricks up front. this is the only way i can get a good wake for wakeboarding. its actually pretty big compared to my friends 05 SAN unweighted. we ride at 70 ft
Old     (wakesetter101)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-07-2006, 7:14 AM Reply   
Outbacks are good boats. I have seen some nice wakes out of outbacks with some sacs in there.

Paul he is no help here. Some people just post whatever pops in there head.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-08-2006, 1:01 PM Reply   
If you run the risk of rupturing a gas tank in a boat, that is a serious problem, and I think it pulls into question the workmanship of the boat. If their R&d didn't catch that, what else did they overlook? Any company can use the same materials/parts that the top companies use as Mike pointed out, but if they can't put it all together correctly, then whats it worth? I am not posting "whatever pops in my head," I was just quoting how someone stated that they are not cheap boats, and then goes on to say that the gas tanks can rupture if you weigh them wrong. Thats cheap imo.