Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 11, 2007

Old     (weekend_wakeboarder)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-18-2006, 10:24 AM Reply   
i was just watchin t.v and saw this "sky ski" ,they described it as a wakeboard with a hydrofoil under it, shaped like an airplane wing (scaled down 700 times) and instead of standing how we do, they sit on a chair thing and strap in...and they can do double back flips....the rider was the inventer of it in california....anyone seen these out??
Old     (wakeboardnchica)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-18-2006, 10:28 AM Reply   
sky ski aka air chair. There are people on our lake that ride them. There's one guy that can do back flips in the flats on it...pretty crazy

Upload
Old     (weekend_wakeboarder)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-18-2006, 10:36 AM Reply   
yep thats it, i havent seen them before....but hey look where i live
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-18-2006, 10:42 AM Reply   
I always like an excuse to post a few photos of my friend Tod.
Upload
Upload
Old     (wakeboardnchica)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-18-2006, 10:43 AM Reply   
good lord EJ that's insane!
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-18-2006, 10:52 AM Reply   
He is fun to watch.... It is just as fun to watch others watch him for the first time.

That said, his friend Trevor can REALLY ride....
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-18-2006, 12:54 PM Reply   
A sky ski is a lot of fun but there are three things that keep me from owning one:

1. Cost. Those suckers cost over $1000.
2. Space. Then I have to find a place in my boat for that monstrosity?
3. Fruitiness. I'm pretty comfortable with my manhood but I've got to admit I'm a bit self-conscious about how fruity I look riding a ski with a seat on it. I guess it would be the equivalent of wearing a pink fannypack to an NFL game.

Other than those issues, it's a blast.
Old     (lknbum)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-18-2006, 1:16 PM Reply   
I have a good friend who actually holds the world record on the Ski. 23' doing a back roll....Fruity huh, Don't knock it you should see how much tail he pulls riding up and down the lake. Oh yea they have special racks to hang off the towers too... Just a little defense for all the Foilers out there!!
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-18-2006, 1:39 PM Reply   
Here in Florida this summer Gino Yauchler had a Sky ski & Wakeboard competetion @ Cypress Gardens. There was quite a few foilers, but they are so damn picky they even measure the PH in the water! I also have spent some time watching Zane Schwenk on the ski, he is pretty incredible on the thing. Ofcourse I dont think there is anything he's not good at on the water.

(Message edited by woreout on December 18, 2006)
Old     (swab791)      Join Date: Mar 2005       12-18-2006, 3:22 PM Reply   
www.foiltime.com

Geno Yauchlers website
Old    chriscut            12-18-2006, 3:32 PM Reply   
Ive rode one before... its pretty damn fun actually. If you have a chance to try one I would recommend it.
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       12-18-2006, 3:51 PM Reply   
I seem to remember they've been outlawed in some parts of Europe due to the potential of injury during a crash from such enormous heights.

Jaques, to start with I thought you were talking about a proper wakeboard with a foil underneath -I was watching a prog recently and saw one on there. Any info anybody?
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       12-18-2006, 3:59 PM Reply   
Try this website www.foilfreaks.com
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-18-2006, 5:42 PM Reply   
I always give credit to NWHC's Gramps whenever these posts come up.

Upload

And my favorite Air chair pic.
Upload

Respect "The Dark Side"
Old     (todd_everton)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-18-2006, 6:04 PM Reply   
A good friend of mine is selling his.Here is a link to it with pics.

http://www.wakeboardmidwest.com//DesktopModules/ForumThread.aspx?ItemID=4098&mid=79
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       12-19-2006, 7:02 AM Reply   
Peter that is not true about Europe. As for Foilboarding stay tuned a new company is coming to the market next month.

Dante yes the cost sucks but one ski fits everybody. Swivel racks are available for the tower. As far a fruitiness watch the vids and tell us it's fruity.
http://www.foilfreaks.com/Videos/11-7-02-Pleasant/Foilfreaks-AirzonaSickness.wmv

http://www.foilfreaks.com/Videos/Sickness2/AirzonaSickness2.wmv
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-19-2006, 7:19 AM Reply   
Travis, are you involved in the new venture (company)
Old     (saroberts70)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-19-2006, 7:24 AM Reply   
Peter. Aside from extreme air, the falls on a sky ski are much less painful than similar tricks on a wakeboard.
Old     (saroberts70)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-19-2006, 7:31 AM Reply   
Chris your right. I have a friend who gets 20' or more on his inverts and he has yet to be called fruity
Old     (lknbum)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-19-2006, 8:07 AM Reply   
I guess you could put it in the fruit category because it takes balls the size of mellons to do some of the tricks these guys are pulling!!!UploadUpload
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       12-19-2006, 8:17 AM Reply   
Randy yes we are almost in production on the new foilboard. Next time Alex is down let me know and he can try it. Very similar to snowboarding in powder.
Old     (briand)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-19-2006, 9:30 AM Reply   
sorry for the jack, but Todd who, I might know that todd.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-19-2006, 9:43 AM Reply   
Brian, is that question directed at me? If so, Tod E.....he is currently living at Canyon Lake and hanging/working with Trevor S.

Originally from Salt Lake and likes to run in the fact that he can ride year round now.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-19-2006, 11:03 AM Reply   
Cool Travis, if it's like snowboarding in pow I might even give it a go..
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       12-19-2006, 11:50 AM Reply   
Randy it would be good to see you behind the boat.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       12-19-2006, 7:17 PM Reply   
A friend of mine has an Air Chair, which is essentially the same thing.

They are fun to mess around on when the water is just a little choppy. Because you ride a bit above the water surface a small chop doesn't bother you at all.

It is certainly not easy to do any of the aerial tricks. I really respect the guys that do flips on those things.

As others have said, these things are rather expensive, they are heavy and can be a real pain in the ass. If you are not careful handling it the foil will tear up your seats. If is laying in the bottom of the boat it is a sure bet that someone will stub their tow on the damn thing. They have racks that will carry it on the tower like a wakeboard but if you think getting a wakeboard into the rack can be a pain you should try hoisting this thing out into position!

If you have lots of money and don't mind spending hours doing something other that wakeboarding, go for it!
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-19-2006, 7:23 PM Reply   
I read an article in Flight Worlds about hydrofoilers bolting toilet paper racks to the decks of their skyskis so that they have something to hold onto when they go for a grab. Is that fruity?
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-20-2006, 5:38 AM Reply   
Look, I know some of you got offended by the fruity comment but I do stand by it. I'm sure you can cherry pick some folks here and there who are good enough to overcome the fruitiness but the average person you see on a sky ski is sitting kness together on a stump on a ski. The average wakeboarder, waterskiier, or slalom skiier may not be especially impressive to watch but they don't look near as fruity.

It is fun to do though and I am sincere about that. It's just not something I'm interested in owning. And for what it's worth, I consider the other two factors as much bigger reasons I don't own one.
Old     (weekend_wakeboarder)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-20-2006, 7:07 AM Reply   
Peter, was the program you were watching on Discovery channel?...becouse it was a program called "marine machines" and they featured it on there, they also described it as a wakeboard with a planes wing scaled down 700 times undreneath it....
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       12-20-2006, 7:42 AM Reply   
Rod a SkySki is much easier to ride and control than an Air Chair.

Foil covers are a must.

With a swivel rack putting your ski in and out of the rack is simple.

To each his own ride on.
Old     (swab791)      Join Date: Mar 2005       12-20-2006, 7:53 AM Reply   
application/pdfUpload
DSC_1229cr.pdf (117.6 k)
Old     (kaesensuyderhoud)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-20-2006, 8:18 PM Reply   
iv tried them both and they are both hard! ahaha. i had to quit real fast before i hurt something. haha
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       12-20-2006, 8:35 PM Reply   
Quote: Peter, was the program you were watching on Discovery channel?...becouse it was a program called "marine machines" and they featured it on there, they also described it as a wakeboard with a planes wing scaled down 700 times undreneath it....

Sure was. Any other info?
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-21-2006, 9:34 AM Reply   
I have yet to see a video of a "duck dive"... (i think is what it's called) My cousin is really good at the air chair and even got in the x-games once.
The duck dive is to me the most impressive trick.
The rider does a half backflip, CRASHING ON PURPOSE, goes COMPLETELY under water and then shoots back up again on top. The trick has got to take some good arm strength especially as you can here the engine groan when he goes under.
IMPRESSIVE... I'd call it a "Mango" on the terms of fruitiness... i mean, thats my favorite fruit :-)
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       12-21-2006, 11:35 AM Reply   
Jeremy that is a driver trick. As soon as the rider starts the roll the driver cuts the throttle. Once the rider hits the water then it's back on the throttle. Murphy does them along with a few others.
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       12-21-2006, 12:28 PM Reply   
I just want to know where I can get those sweet checkerboard print spring suits and decals for my boat? Every cool guy I see on an air chair or a sky ski doing one of those flippity things, has checkerboard print boat and outfit. There is not one thing fruity about that...that's for damn sure!
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-21-2006, 1:34 PM Reply   
it is kind of like riding a moped. lots of fun but don't let your friends catch you.
Old     (lknbum)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-21-2006, 1:43 PM Reply   
Man, You guys are crucial on the foil riders.....Every rider that even see's what is done on the foil is amazed, To each is own