Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2003

Old    ndf3000            08-28-2003, 6:56 PM Reply   
Has anybody blown out their eardrum attempting a backroll? I was going to try one and then someone mentioned that it's an easy way to blow it out.
Old     (wakeeater)      Join Date: May 2002       08-28-2003, 8:17 PM Reply   
well i kinda lost hearing from trying them never blown them out no pain no gain
Old     (jrudd)      Join Date: May 2002       08-28-2003, 11:07 PM Reply   
I blew my ear drum out a week and a half ago and I will tell you that it SUCKS. For me the pain is on and off and when its on it's nearly unbearable. B/c of the hole you also get drainage like nobody's business. I have taken a ton of hard falls and it took me landing directly on my ear, literally, to blow it out. Wearing a helmet with ear flaps would have taken care of my problem.
Old     (laptom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-28-2003, 11:40 PM Reply   
I've been there in the beginning of the season. It sucks! The pain during the day wasn't the main problem, during the nights it was!
But it heals...
I always wear a helmet when trying an invert (still a beginner), one time didn't and I couldn't board for weeks (b/c of the ear)! But for better protection of my ears I'm gonna look to upgrade my ProTec with ear flaps.
Old     (king360720)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-29-2003, 3:38 AM Reply   
try ear wax for protecting those drums. i;m sure a helmet will do the trick too.
Old     (midwestrider)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-29-2003, 6:13 AM Reply   
My cousin blew out his ear drum attempting a backroll this summer. But one of his buddies blew out his ear drum just catching an edge. I don't think any specific tricks are going to be more likely to cause damage. I picked up some wax after his buddy blew his, but I don't use it consistently, I probably should. Good luck.

Jb
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-29-2003, 9:19 AM Reply   
I don't think there are certain tricks that you're more likely to blow an eardrum on. I did a 180, sketched the landing, caught my edge, and that was all it took to blow mine. Really wasn't that painful at all for me. Lots of nasty drainage and I would get dizzy a lot, but it was annoying more than anything. I guess I kinda took my hearing for granted. I don't anymore.
Old    lakesideluver            08-29-2003, 9:53 AM Reply   
i just learned backrolls a few weeks ago, never blew one out....but i did however blow out my eardrum early this year when the driver turned while i was in the air and washed out the other side of the wake.......hurt and the drainage lasted about two weeks

Old     (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-29-2003, 3:51 PM Reply   
I also just blew my ear drum last weekend on a backroll attempt. I think I was lucky w/ not that much pain, but now I'm off the water for a couple weeks which really sucks. I went and picked up some "Proplugs" www.proplugs.com from a local SubaDive shop and I'll be using them from now on when I'm trying anything new or maybe all the time? I'd say go for it! but I think grabbing a set of these plugs would be an easy thing to protect your ears..... A helmet is another, but I've heard that there are many out there that blew their ears w/ a helmet on...even the Shapiro model w/ the ear pads.....

Good luck!

Levi