Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 04, 2005

Old     (stephwhit)      Join Date: Jan 2005       01-26-2005, 11:39 AM Reply   
hi all.
I'm new here so sorry if I'm not doing this right..
Anyway, I've been boarding for 5 years or so and naturally love it..I'm a bit of a freak and will try anything (self taught)..Our speedboat is kinda ghetto and my husband refuses to put of a Pylon (spelling?) to raise the rope above the boat instead of low, by the motor. I've only boarded with a low rope and never with high. I feel I am limited on tricks. I do the basics: grinds, get some nice air, grabs, air 180's, reverse air 180's, etc..basic stuff...What else can I try with such a low rope? Let's hear it, I'll try anything....
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       01-26-2005, 11:44 AM Reply   
All of the major influences in wakeboarding such as Gator, Byerly, Murray etc started using a rope off the skiers pole. You'd be amazed at the number of tricks you can do. Rolls, tantrums, 3's etc. Just because the rope is low, don't think you can't try tricks. It does help to have a pole or tower but don't let that stop you.

Good luck,
Hahn
Old     (sylv2080)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-26-2005, 11:50 AM Reply   
well congrats on not being scared to hurl your body through the air!!! haha Our first boat we only pulled from the back until I finally bought a pylon and it was a little better but made the boat hard to maneuver around in......so with my new boat I definitely put a tower on it. Hmmm I would think that you could try some 3s and the best thing to do would be working on your switch riding and toeside jumping...... How long of a rope are you using and does your boat put out a decent wake??????? that will allow what you will be willing to try or NOT try. you can get a pole for like $400!!! nice and cheap.....and some towers for around $1200 or so ok I'll shutup now since I'm rambling!!!! Good luck!
Old     (stephwhit)      Join Date: Jan 2005       01-26-2005, 12:07 PM Reply   
I've got the toeside jumping down pretty good and am throwing in some basics on that end too...Sorry, I don't know the lingo yet--explain a 3. The wake isn't that big but enough to get some decent air.
Tantrums, rolls..give me some details..Tell me how!
FYI--I'm in Iowa, closest lake is an hour away...obviously won't be on the water now but using hit in the first week in APril..Yeah, it's cold...
I'm getting pumped though! Hook me up fellas.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-26-2005, 12:07 PM Reply   
Back in the late seventies I had a speedboat with a 140 merc. The first this I did was make a pole with plumbing pipe to raise the rope over the motor. I used a wall flange to mount to the floor and some pullys bolted onto pipe cap to hold the rope. Might need a little ingenuity to fabricate brackets for the side poles, but the whole thing can probably be made for under $50.

Having the rope done by the side of the motor sux. He should really do something about it. And yes if someone cuts hard and pulls on the rope from the inside while the boat is turning it can get scary. Just be careful with that.
Old     (rem_pss308)      Join Date: Mar 2004       01-26-2005, 12:29 PM Reply   
Steph,
We used to have a 19' carolina skiff, with a yamaha 50. If you dont know about these the boat sits in the water about 6" (no wake) My learned behind this boat for two years. He learned all four 180's, and could pull off 360's heelside. We had to do double ups so he could do a back roll, but that was about it. If you have a boat that has any power at all, you can add ballast( weight) and make the wake larger. I think with a bass boat size wake you should be able to do back rolls, and tantrums with no trouble.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       01-26-2005, 12:41 PM Reply   
Try this:

http://www.wakeworld.com/TrickList/TrickTips.asp
Old     (gary_in_ia)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-26-2005, 7:36 PM Reply   
Hey Stephanie,
Where at in Iowa? What lake do you board at? I'm from Cedar Falls and usually board either near town or at Coralville.
Old     (stephwhit)      Join Date: Jan 2005       01-27-2005, 8:22 AM Reply   
I didn't really like coralville, the water seemes really dirty to me, but then again I only went once after I got my new bindings at Scheels.
I live in Marshalltown..45 minutes from ya or so.
I board at Lake Red Rock..Lots of coves, always can find good water.
I highly recommend it!!!