Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (brad24)      Join Date: Jun 2006       10-08-2006, 6:14 PM Reply   
Hey guys, I dont know what I'm doing wrong here! I think it might be line tension because if you pause it at the right time it looks like my line gets slack as soon as I get upside down. . . help me out! I've thrown like 15 of these so far and I cant get it down! I think I'm just not going fast enough (I'm going pretty slow) but I want to get the flip down right before I speed it up so I dont kill myself. . .

Heres the video: http://media.putfile.com/Tantrum-Attempt-1

THANKS GUYS!
Old    alanp            10-08-2006, 8:07 PM Reply   
couple of things brad(next time show a little more of the approach). first off can you jump wake to wake consistently? if so then cut out further before you initiate the approach. release your right hand sooner(i release mine just before entering the trough for reference). by releasing your right hand you will square your shoulders more to the direction of the board. this will help you flip the board over you rather than out the back as you are doing now. dont look over your shoulder(left) when starting the flip. when you release your back hand this will help this problem. when i learned them i was looking at the shore that i was riding from(it takes some guts). keep the left arm straight after you release the right hand. your straight arm transfers the energy from the wake causing the flip to happen. you will absorb to much of the wake with your arm if it is bent too much.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-09-2006, 7:12 AM Reply   
How fast are you riding? You might want to speed up a little and try to clean up the wake. Any trick (but tantrums especially) are much harder when there isn't a clean lip to take off from.

Alan had good advice as well. Try to square up more (back facing the wake) on your take off. Good luck!
Old     (brad24)      Join Date: Jun 2006       10-09-2006, 8:06 AM Reply   
I understand completely what you're saying about squaring up to the wake and having my shoulders make a line towards the boat but how can I do that while still cutting hard? should i straighten out right as i hit the wake?
Old    alanp            10-09-2006, 9:45 AM Reply   
brad, can you jump wake to wake?

"how can I do that while still cutting hard?"
you need to come off your edge, stop cutting when you get into the whitewash before the trough
Old     (brad24)      Join Date: Jun 2006       10-09-2006, 10:26 AM Reply   
yeah, i jump wake to wake without even really trying. I can get out into the flats if I cut really hard. My 360s are pretty consistent (one wake) and I my w2w 180s (both hs fs and ts fs) are pretty clean. . . I think tantrums are the next logical step for me. . . People have told me this is a "trip" flip and that I need to literally trip over the wake to flip. I have also heard from other people that I need to start to flip once I'm already in the air. Which is it? Is there anything blatantly obvious with my attempt? I'm flipping off axis and kind of away from the boat about half way through - is this due to a lack of line tension (because the line goes slack about halfway through.)
Old    alanp            10-09-2006, 12:56 PM Reply   
the things i pointed out are what i feel are blatant. the biggest problem is your lack of squaring up to the wake before flipping. think of it like this
your arm should be in line with the rope, and your head, shoulders, hips will all be inline with the board(and rope). haul major tail into the wake let off your edge(square up) and you will flip with just a little motion of throwing your head back, after you are in the air.
Old     (wakeboard19)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-11-2006, 4:49 PM Reply   
carve out farther so you can prepare for it. Throw your head up not back. And most importantly trip yourself at the wake
Old     (bartush)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-08-2007, 4:49 PM Reply   
... go faster