Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 16, 2005

Old     (jeffreyala)      Join Date: Dec 2004       05-02-2005, 7:16 AM Reply   
I finally got to go out this weekend for the first time. I got up on the second pull (thanks Detention Vol. 1/2) and had a blast!!! How long before some of you were feeling like you had more control as far as edging and how long before you were doing W2W jumps? My first time up it felt like I had NO control, but got a lot more comfortable after a few runs.

Old     (msasser)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-02-2005, 9:57 AM Reply   
no control probably means the boat was going slow, i snowboard, so after i got up i had the hang of it right away, just ride and watch that video over and over again so its in your mind while riding. make sure that the boat is going atleast 18 mph, and after being on the board for a while you will get the hang of it real quick. good luck
Old     (jeffreyala)      Join Date: Dec 2004       05-02-2005, 11:36 AM Reply   
Thanks Mike. I will say that they make it look so easy in the videos! :-) I can't wait to be able to start doing some jumps.

Jeff
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-02-2005, 4:25 PM Reply   
Slow is usually better for beginners, but I wouldn’t go below 18 mph. He just needs to get used to the feel and probably the edge. I’d suggest using the biggest fin you can get your ands on until you get a good feel for the edge. Then back down to a regular fin, or if you have edge fins, remove the center fins.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       05-02-2005, 4:43 PM Reply   
I am a novice but it took me probabbly my third run until I started edging back and forth and getting that dialed in. I still havent gone wake towake but give me a few more times out and I hopefully will. Good luck keep us posted no your progress
Old     (jeffreyala)      Join Date: Dec 2004       05-02-2005, 4:55 PM Reply   
I have a LF Trip 138 and it's got six fins.
Should I try removing the centers?

Jeff
Old    robertt            05-02-2005, 5:04 PM Reply   
ME ohh MAN!!! About ten minutes ago I went out for my first time. After watching the "book" one time I was able to get up no problem. That video made it really easy. It seemed like I needed to go about 20 to stay on the water, but that may be because my board is 138cm and I am 250lbs. I dont know.

50degrees...my lips are blue...but I am happy.

Just moved onto a lake...and couldnt wait any longer.

By the way, what do you need to do to train a driver. I got a buddy to drive that has never driven a boat...that does not make it easy.

After a few seconds I felt pretty good, and cut off the wake no problem. Turning to a toe side cut...not so good. Took a nice face plant...ear hurts...

It will be a good summer. Next step is going to be a inboard. Maybe.

My mid thirty year old butt may just hurt in the AM.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-02-2005, 5:22 PM Reply   
To all of you starters,

Congrats, and welcome to your new bad habit! (well, not really bad).

I started a few years ago, and since then, have probably shown about 35 beginners how to get up their first time, and get the "basics". I am no hot-shot in my mind, or anyone else's. That's why I can only help out the rooks (we all have to hang together).

Lots of good advice from the other posts. Don't try too hard, don't try to progress too fast, and don't get dissapointed. I have ridden with one guy who had been wakeboarding about 5 times, and was trying 3's and inverts. Not really a good idea, and a good way to get hurt.

I suggest getting together with some "good" riders who are willing to give out some pointers. That has helped me quite a bit. You can really learn a lot by watching them. Much better than watching Parks and those guys, and trying to follow.

As far as the driver, the same thing. Get together with some "core" boarders and drivers, and see what they do. I have been at this for about 4 years now, and still learn stuff every time I get around the better riders.

Most importantly - have fun!!! Get out and ride every chance you get, and just take it a step at a time.
Old     (jeffreyala)      Join Date: Dec 2004       05-02-2005, 5:22 PM Reply   
Cool! Yeah, my younger brother drove for me and he had about 5 minutes driving experience........He got the hang of it after a few runs though. I think I need to get perfect pass to make things easy.......

I think this stuff may get addictive. :-)
Old    nothinbutwake            05-02-2005, 6:46 PM Reply   
may get addicitve!!!! I was addicted the first time up, now i'm sinking all my money into boards and boats! But i would never think twice about giving it up. Wakeboarding is like nothing i have ever done, the feeling when your out there on the water... Its like nothin in the world! Keep on working at it!
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-02-2005, 7:36 PM Reply   
Jeff, I have a trip 143 and one of my crew has the 138. We both have the center fins out, but we didn't remove them until we got good at edging. With the center fins out it's easier to do surface spins.

I'd keep the center fins in for a bit and then when you want to try something new pull them and see how you like it. Go out far left or right in the flats and spin a 360, oh and keep your leading edge up.

Have fun!!!!!

(Message edited by bigshow on May 02, 2005)
Old     (aspenshayn)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-02-2005, 7:56 PM Reply   
hey guys,
great to see you soo excited over this. like buzz said 'welcome to your new bad habit'
I've been in and around boats since I was born. things come with time. no different w/ wakeboarding. you see all these people throwin' the sickest you want to do the same. first off get comfortable behind the boat. get out of the wake and just cut on the nice water. get a feel for your board and just being on the water for that matter. it will come faster than you think. like buzz, I would say I'm far from expert, but have taught alot of people how to get up and enjoy it. I am just getting my inverts to stick and it has been 2 years. most important is to have fun and encourage everyone else. watch what people do and learn from the right and the wrong. you'll develope your own style in time.
WAKEBOARDING CAN CONSUME YOU, I SAY LET IT!!
Old    ozonerider            05-02-2005, 11:12 PM Reply   
Ditto here to all you guys starting on your new lifestyle... prepare for addiction!

Robert - You might want to try a bigger board. I started in my late 40's (not too strong anymore)at around 220 lbs (too much good food) with a cheapie board (didn't know whether I was going to like it) when I moved onto the water. After a couple of weeks I decided I liked it and got a Trip 143 which made everything so much easier. Now that I have another board we use the Trip for the boat board and everyone who has ever wanted to try wakeboarding with us has been able to get up on it - definitely money well spent.

As for drivers, I just got "The Book" DVD set too and it pretty much covers it. It also helps to take a new driver out and explain what you're doing while you are pulling someone, and then coach them as they give someone else a pull.

Oh yeah, Advil helps in the AM, too!
Old     (jeffreyala)      Join Date: Dec 2004       05-03-2005, 6:54 AM Reply   
Thanks for the advice folks. I think i am going to go out for a full day lesson with Adam Fields as he is pretty close to my area. That way I can get the fundamentals down. Looks like good weather this weekend.......wonder what we'll be doing on sunday!!!!!!!!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-03-2005, 8:05 AM Reply   
just wait till you start having dreams about wakeboarding. then your hooked. To me, theres nothing cooler than dropping the boat in the water and getting ready to have an awesome couple of hours w some good friends, and in time, some good drivers!

Jeff- sounds like you like the bindings! The trip w/o the center fin will be a little looser. it can be easier to recover from a not-so perfect jump. just a different feel. I loved it when I first took the center fin off my byerly. (Byerly molded fins are bigger than the trip's though) However, for first couple times out you may want the extra tracking and stability.
Old     (jeffreyala)      Join Date: Dec 2004       05-03-2005, 8:27 AM Reply   
What's up nacho? Yes I love the Sphynx bindings. They were pretty tight at first, but are starting to break in. They were a real beatch to get off at first! :-) I think I am sticking with the setup I have as far as fins and just get the basics down.