Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (kyle_m)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-10-2010, 12:58 PM Reply   
anyone know what board company he is riding for now?
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-10-2010, 1:03 PM Reply   
I thought he moved to Company?
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       12-10-2010, 1:10 PM Reply   
Yeah i heard Company and then I heard a nasty rumor he was gettin totally out of the game.... that was just a rumor tho I hope.
Old    mojo            12-10-2010, 1:40 PM Reply   
im not sure what his status is, but he's always had a tough time with sponsors. he lost his old boat sponsor years ago(tige maybe?) b/c he sunk like 3 b/c he loves weight in the boat; not for being drunk or anything like that. i saw him picking up his first malibu from the dealer, he had to pay for it, when i lived down there picking my old disaster craft. for a long time oakley was his only sponsor and they took good care of him. he definitely gave them a good image in our sport. i find it hard to believe he would be out of the game totally. he just picked up axis, has killed some video spots lately, and is a great guy to have around. almost every rider that knows the whole sport ranks him way way up in their favorite rider. hopefully he will land somewhere comfortable.
Old     (kyle_m)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-10-2010, 3:23 PM Reply   
i know he was big on military, maybe he is taking a break to serve the country. Who knows though
Old     (renegade5)      Join Date: Mar 2010       12-10-2010, 3:45 PM Reply   
Hope Lyman is still around, love his style.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       12-10-2010, 6:20 PM Reply   
Kyle, with two ACL reconstructions I don't think they would let him enlist, who knows though. I know there are some military guys on here who could confirm that.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-10-2010, 8:48 PM Reply   
he sunk his boat when he was too lazy to have it pulled out of the water before a hurricane rolled through. either that, or he could not get a trailer for it in time. who knows.
he bought Gerry Nunn's LSV from him quite a while ago. I heard he got picked up by another boat company recently, but that could have all been hearsay.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       12-11-2010, 5:32 AM Reply   
^No, he is definitely on the Axis Team.
Old     (snwmot)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-11-2010, 9:10 AM Reply   
he's gonna be riding for slingshot.
Old     (fredlap)      Join Date: Jul 2008       12-11-2010, 9:29 AM Reply   
Wow! Slingshot! He's one of my favorite riders (maybe my favorite riders) and now, he's gonna ride for my favorite board cie! Awesome!
It's rare to see LF dropping a rider with his name on one of their board! I don't want to see Watson and Shane in the same situation because they are no more on the top of the game with all the new kids!

... and yes, he is rinding for Axis!
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       12-11-2010, 12:19 PM Reply   
Yea you can go into the military with previous acl tears. I tore mine in like 12th grade and went in Like 2 years later. Traditionally they don't prefer it and you have to get waivers from doctors but if you are trying to go into a high demand branch like the army or marines they will let you. My recruiter actually told me to lie about it so he didnt have to mess witb the waiver process since I had orthoscopic and you couldn't see the scars. Lol
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       12-12-2010, 11:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by snwmot View Post
he's gonna be riding for slingshot.
Just curious, do you have this from a reliable source?
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-12-2010, 1:21 PM Reply   
"Wow! Slingshot! He's one of my favorite riders (maybe my favorite riders) and now, he's gonna ride for my favorite board cie! " huh??
Old     (supernatural)      Join Date: Jan 2008       12-12-2010, 1:53 PM Reply   
I just talked to someone who knows him well yesterday and they confirmed that he joined the military and is out of professional wakeboarding.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       12-12-2010, 2:44 PM Reply   
I've heard from a reliable source as well that he's heard that the bird is the word.
Old    mojo            12-12-2010, 2:49 PM Reply   
i don't believe it, but if he did i think it's sad. what is it a 3 year commitment minimum? unhealthy food, and tour upon tour in the mid east. props to everyone who does serve, but doesn't he realize the danger of not coming home whole enough to even ride a board...
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-12-2010, 3:39 PM Reply   
"but doesn't he realize the danger of not coming home whole enough to even ride a board..."

thats selfish reasoning on your part. anyone who is willing to give up their entire life to serve our country deserves nothing but props. if this is indeed true, I thank him whole heartedly for serving our country. I hope he comes home safe, and is able to enjoy being with his family again.
Old     (BCMWAKE61209)      Join Date: Apr 2010       12-12-2010, 4:10 PM Reply   
Why would lyman give up wakeboarding to join the military RIGHT after he gets his first boat sponsor in however many years???.....just does not make sense to me. i guess anythings possible though.....

Cant always believe what you read on wakeworld......hope this is one of the times I shouldn't .....
Old     (fredlap)      Join Date: Jul 2008       12-12-2010, 4:36 PM Reply   
Hey Train! WTF with this comment! ?
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-13-2010, 11:42 AM Reply   
"Hey Train! WTF with this comment! ?"

what comment? I have a couple posts in this thread.
Old     (jason95gt)      Join Date: May 2006       12-13-2010, 1:24 PM Reply   
More power to him if he is re-enlisting in the Military and I honor and thank him. Just because you have a boat sponsor doesn't mean that you are getting a FREE boat plus being paid to ride.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       12-13-2010, 2:46 PM Reply   
wow this is insane.
Old     (kruiserkat)      Join Date: May 2010       12-13-2010, 3:27 PM Reply   
I think in this economy, 20 years in the millitary is better than not being able to retire at all. Being healthy and able to wakeboard in your youth is not gonna last either. If I was in my 20's and my job relied on my ability to perform physically, I would really think about my future. It's great to have boats,boards,lifestyle but who is gonna pay the bills when ya can't do it anymore? Either way, he will always be a badass rider.
Old     (fredlap)      Join Date: Jul 2008       12-13-2010, 3:34 PM Reply   
Train, maybe the call about what I said!!! What is weird about what I said!?
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-13-2010, 4:21 PM Reply   
what does this mean:
"he's gonna ride for my favorite board cie!"
Old     (fredlap)      Join Date: Jul 2008       12-13-2010, 4:49 PM Reply   
Somebody said that Lyman joined Slingshot... Slingshot is my favorite board company... Lyman is one of my favorite riders.... so.... it's cool! It's like your favorite hockey player joined your favorite team... it's cool! ; )
Old     (fredlap)      Join Date: Jul 2008       12-13-2010, 4:51 PM Reply   
Maybe my english is too bad! I usualy speak french... sorry!
Old    mojo            12-13-2010, 6:13 PM Reply   
this is all heresay since some have said he's on company, some on slingshot, some said he's going to the military. IMO, the current state of our military excursions is not something i would join to help with. if we were fighting the nazi's or something like that i would seriously consider it. terrorism is something that will always exist no matter what group it is. to think that you can wipe it out is just dumb. the best way to fight it is keeping our borders secure and using good intelligence. everyone who serves in our military during wartime or not is a special person to me. however, the u.s. militarys standards have dropped so far from who can enlist to physical training that it's absurd. good luck to anyone out there serving. hopefully mr. lyman will stay and continue to boost everything off the wake.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-13-2010, 6:23 PM Reply   
fred - you wrote "cie" at the end of your sentence. CIE is a wake affiliated grassroots company that is very well known on WW, so that kind of threw me off of what you said about slingshot.
Old     (fredlap)      Join Date: Jul 2008       12-13-2010, 6:44 PM Reply   
Sorry!
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       12-28-2010, 2:28 PM Reply   
So what's the verdict on this? Anyone know anything for sure?
Old     (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       12-30-2010, 8:26 PM Reply   
So i did some research This artilce is OLD... AND its just Keith's Thoughts on the Military... It should be no surprise to anyone who actually is a fan of Mr. Lyman

Interview Found on wakeWorld

WW: I know you love the U.S. military and your 2009 board and Oakley ad have military-influenced graphics. It is great you support the troops. Could you really ever see yourself serving in the armed forces?
KL: Yes! I would love to be in the military. To be honest, it's for no political views whatsoever. I have a TON of respect for the men and women of the armed services who do what they do. I feel they deserve a lot of recognition. If I ever decide to part ways with wakeboarding (which is a very hard thing for me to picture), I couldn't see myself doing anything other than joining. The only thing that I am afraid of is that I'm pretty sure I have the mind set to ride as long as I can until my body can no longer take it, which the military may frown on when it comes to me enlisting.

Rest of the Article

http://www.wakeworld.com/news/latest...5-59-1886.html
Old     (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       01-06-2011, 1:17 PM Reply   
?????
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-06-2011, 10:30 PM Reply   
From what i have read here on the forums (none of which seems to be completely solid, but i guess that is what makes it so intriguing) I am going to guess one of three things

a.) He is/was just floating around without a board sponsor and ought to be picked up soon (especially if he did join Company and IF indeed company is having "problems")
b.) Joined Military (even though he just got a boat sponsor, Axis... in which case Axis will...?)
c.) OTHER? (very broad, i know)

still ??Question Marks?? all around though
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-07-2011, 1:05 AM Reply   
As a huge fan of Lyman and his riding style, I'd just like to wish him the best in whatever he does in the future.
Old     (pc_sledge)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-09-2011, 6:25 PM Reply   
word Jon
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       01-10-2011, 4:59 AM Reply   
Soooo, whats the verdict?
Old     (jelico)      Join Date: Jun 2010       01-13-2011, 4:02 PM Reply   
I spoke to a pro team rider who spent a lot of time riding with lyman, who confirmed that he has left wake boarding to join the US military. Bummer as he is my favourite rider, double bummer as the LF Lyman was probsably one of the best compression moulded shapes ever made. Wakeboardings loss I guess!

Not sure why this isn't public knowledge or why its all on the down-low so I wont name names, but the guy I spoke to is legit so I would take it as gospel.

All
Old     (Shooter)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-13-2011, 4:51 PM Reply   
Good for him! Everyone thinks being a pro action sport athlete is so great. It probably is for a few of the top riders, but the rest often get chewed up and spit out. In the end many pros only have injuries, no retirement and very little real life work experience / skills. The military is a honorable life choice. It should take more than just skills on a wakeboard to gain true respect!
Old     (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       01-13-2011, 6:02 PM Reply   
What the ****......
Old     (mckenna)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-13-2011, 7:15 PM Reply   
come on lyman let the wake community know where you are.

and good luck in the military if thats where you are.

maybe you will come back and blow minds just like randall did after his break.
Old     (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-13-2011, 10:58 PM Reply   
It's really quite touching. The reciprocity of it all. The military starts a war over oil that gets refined into the fuel for Lyman's boat. Then Lyman joins the military to capture more oil for other wakeboarder's boats. The Iraqis should be happy that America is showing them how to set up their government. Things sure worked out well over here, didnt they. Just ask Company. Oh wait, um ask...
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-14-2011, 6:46 AM Reply   
Seriously GQ? I hope that comment was in jest.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-14-2011, 8:35 AM Reply   
GQ, you must have been drunk when you wrote this post. You are way out of line on many levels.

Not to start a political discussion, but guess who got most of the Iraqi oil contracts?? CNPC (China). --Not the US.
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       01-14-2011, 12:08 PM Reply   
Well, if he's not riding anymore, here's to good ol' times: http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showt...ht=lyman+raley
Old     (dave23)      Join Date: Nov 2006       01-14-2011, 12:56 PM Reply   
I just read on his facebook that he was on his way to three boat show in Huntsville, Alabama this weekend at the Axis booth.
Old     (jsweat)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-14-2011, 4:29 PM Reply   
This is straight from his FB page

Keith Lyman Hahahaha. What about the rumors of me permanently filling Chuck Norris's shoes!? Or the rumors that I use rocket boosters on the bottom of my boards to go so big. Wakeboarding is like highschool, unfortunately I HATED highschool. But love wakeboarding. I just signed with a new board company. Wait for the launch!
Old     (ktm525)      Join Date: Mar 2009       01-14-2011, 7:02 PM Reply   
Jeremy is right. Here is a link to the whole post from Facebook. I asked him today.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref..._comment_reply
Old     (adamsilcio)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-19-2011, 11:29 AM Reply   
Old     (kyle_m)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-19-2011, 12:01 PM Reply   
CTRL!!!!! just a guess haha
Old     (jrich)      Join Date: Oct 2009       01-19-2011, 2:27 PM Reply   
Company and lyman are probably getting his pro model dialed in before they launch their 2011 line. Hope so anyways. His shape is one of the most popular boards in the wake industry. This could be huge for company. My hat goes off to anyone who joins the military but lyman has way too much talent to be off playing g.i. Joe. Hope to see him and company shredding soon.
Old     (alevitt)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-31-2011, 1:02 PM Reply   
Fresh evidence just posted somewhere on the Intraweb, who finds it first?
Old     (wakerpunk)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-31-2011, 1:08 PM Reply   
lyman posted a pic of his dog on a slingshot board....
Old     (alevitt)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-31-2011, 1:47 PM Reply   
Ding, ding, ding! And the winner is Wakerpunk.
Old     (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       01-31-2011, 1:58 PM Reply   
No way good for you lyman
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       02-01-2011, 5:53 AM Reply   
finally....someone with some insight....
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-01-2011, 9:16 AM Reply   
Slingshot just announced it on facebook
Old     (JEr)      Join Date: Sep 2010       02-01-2011, 9:21 AM Reply   
Ya also on their blog.

http://slingshotsports.wordpress.com/
Old     (derek23)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-01-2011, 9:49 AM Reply   
Facebook announcment
"Slingshot Sports, FIRST IN FLEX WORLDWIDE, is proud to announce we have signed Keith Lyman to a sponsorship agreement. He has instantly become an important anchor point to an already strong group of riders on our 2011 Global Wake Team. Our support for Lyman will continue indefinitely.

Even as a veteran pro of 11 years, Lyman is known for “huge air” off the wake, and taking his riding to the extreme. His “badass” attitude and energy are very apparent in his style, and he sits among the elite when it comes to his professionalism as an athlete. Keith summed up his reasons for joining Slingshot with us as he signed his contract. “I am extremely excited to be working with Slingshot! I think with what you bring to the table in the way of concepts and technology, and what I bring to the table with my riding style and experience, we can produce the worlds “next level” big wake riding board. I truly believe in what Slingshot stands for and am a HUGE supporter of an American based company building their product in America!”

Born and raised in Massachusetts, Lyman now resides in Orlando, FL where he’s currently shredding his massive wake on the 2011 Slingshot Hooke from the all new Ballistic Board Line. Wade Wagley, our Wake Brand Manager, is confident Keith is the perfect fit. “Ever since Keith took the win at Blacktop Oasis 2.0, I’ve known he would be a perfect fit for Slingshot Wake. The way he boosts off the wake and charges rails is exactly why our boards are designed and built the way they are. I greatly appreciate Keith’s professional attitude and energy, and have truly enjoyed getting to know him better over this last year. Now I can’t wait to see what we’ll come up with for his new “Lyman Board!” Welcome to the family, Keith!"
Old     (fredlap)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-01-2011, 10:39 AM Reply   
That's it!
Attached Images

Old     (flexnwake)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-01-2011, 10:44 AM Reply   
Its unreal to have him on the team!!!! so sick.
Old     (Musgrove)      Join Date: Dec 2010       02-01-2011, 11:03 AM Reply   
nice hes on the hooke.. i like it