Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 12, 2008

Old    kidrik            10-16-2007, 10:39 AM Reply   
Just moved into my new pad, and I'm stoked I've got a place to put the boat! The concrete pad is there, and I'm struggling with the type of "cover" I want to put up? I'm feeling a carport type set up, but any suggestions or pics would be appreciated!
Old     (kinger)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-16-2007, 10:46 AM Reply   
I am getting a carport from these guys installed on Friday.

www.carports.com
Old     (laraujo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-16-2007, 1:06 PM Reply   
This is working out pretty well so far. You just need to anchor it good. Got mine at Overtons for about $1200 with shipping. It is made by storage tech. Upload
Upload
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-16-2007, 1:19 PM Reply   
My old boat at old roommates house. I think he spent about 2k on it, but it was built to last. Could've put sides on it very cheaply, but HOA would only allow the top. Ended up working really well.
Upload
Old     (sulmaxwell)      Join Date: Dec 2003       10-16-2007, 4:27 PM Reply   
200 bucks @ costco gets you a 10x20 tent..I rasied mine 20 inches so I didn't have to fold down the tower...then put another tarp over it for snow load...looks trailer..but works for the time my boat stays in it over the winter,,,and of course until I can afford to build my pimp garage!
Old    kidrik            10-16-2007, 4:30 PM Reply   
Thanks! Those all look good. Keep 'em coming.

One problem I may have is that the front of the pad is 5 feet from the fence, while the back corner is only 3.......Code calls for 5 feet from fence? Stanfield, it looks like your buddies port is right on the fence. Any problems?

Erik, please post a pic when they're done!! How much are dropping on this project?

Leonard, that looks like the ultimate protection!

Anymore "A Frame" type carports out there?

Thanks again!
Old     (clearlakescott)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-16-2007, 7:03 PM Reply   
Rik, most of the time that 5' refers to permanent structures like garages. You may also be able to apply for a variance and build what you want anyway. Talk nice to your code guy/lady and see. Most of the time they are more then willing to offer assistance. Just remember the key is nice. The lady here had tons of ideas and even came out to look and see what else we could do. the best part was she wrote up my trashy neighbor too
Old    kidrik            10-16-2007, 8:18 PM Reply   
Thanks Scott. Maybe I'll treat them to some coldies and a ride!
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-17-2007, 5:30 AM Reply   
Rik, yes it was right on the fence. I've never owned a house so I have no idea about codes or anything like that. When he put that up the only problem I remember him having was not being able to put sides on it per the HOA which is something we really wanted to do.
Old     (ally505)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-17-2007, 7:37 AM Reply   
bought a Costco one too. It decided by neighbours garden (yard) looked nicer and in a 70mph wind decided to move at 5am on a winter's morning.

Once tied down very securely to the trailer it withstood 100mph winds last winter but is certainly showing signs of wear.

Can't beat it for the price though.
Old     (laraujo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-17-2007, 9:34 AM Reply   
Check with your local code enforcement. You may get away with the 5' variance issues if you go with the storage tech type options as they are considered portable.
Old    kidrik            10-22-2007, 10:35 AM Reply   
Hey Erik, how did it go? Any pics? Are you happy with the work?

Thanks man.
Old     (norcal_wakejunky)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-22-2007, 10:49 AM Reply   
I'm in the same situation, except I have a limited area to work with. I have a 22ft wakeboard boat, my parking pad next to my house can fit something as long as 20ft and I would have to do custom width of about 12-13 feet. That doesn't really leave me with a lot of side to side room but thats what I have to deal with. Any suggestions? I'm thinking I will have to buy something custom
Old     (norcal_wakejunky)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-22-2007, 10:51 AM Reply   
Oh, and it has to be tall enough that I can park the boat with the tower up, so 15-20ft tall.
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-22-2007, 11:35 AM Reply   
Mine isn't going to help you with the tower up, but I think it looks much better than the canvas ones, and the lower height goes over well with the neighbors. I don't remember the cost, but I believe it was $1,700 or less installed if I remember correctly...

Sorry for the crappy pic, it's the only one i've got handy...

Upload
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-22-2007, 11:41 AM Reply   
Oh, and mine's from Carolina Carports. I have stakes that hold it down for the weather (though we don't get too many high winds in my area)...according to the county, I was still able to consider it a portable structure...as you'll notice, it is closer than 5 feet to my neighbors...

You can also get a fully enclosed back and sides, or halfway down, or most of the way down. Overall, I think they do a really nice job. I actually cut the legs on mine to get it as low to the ground as possible, the Nauty tower gets under it less than an inch.
Old    kidrik            10-22-2007, 4:30 PM Reply   
Steve, check out a few on the site Erik mentioned above.....Is your tower really that high off the ground? I've seen a few sites out there with many different size options!

I'm ready to get this going soon, and I may just get something cheap for this winter, and plan something better next Spring???

Thanks Tommy. So your tower fit, and you cut it down, or did it never actually fit? I'm too effin lazy to fold my tower each time out!

Erik just had one built I guess, so I hope he posts pics!
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-22-2007, 4:36 PM Reply   
Those things look perfect for a thief to have a hayday inside. I'd be thinking about some sort of alarm system. Maybe it could double as the Rotty or Pitbull doghouse as well.
Old     (kinger)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-23-2007, 7:29 AM Reply   
Rick,

Just had my built, I am happy with it. They bolted it to the ground because we sometimes have heavy winds where I live. I will post some pictures in the next few days.
Old    kidrik            10-23-2007, 7:47 AM Reply   
Thanks! How much did you drop on this? PM me if you want.

Can't wait for the pics!
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-23-2007, 2:15 PM Reply   
Rik,my tower never would have fit up, but you can get it with lengthier side arms. You could certainly get it tall enough to fit your boat with tower up.

My whole goal was to get it as low as possible...makes the neighbors (and wife) much happier.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-23-2007, 3:19 PM Reply   
[IMG]http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d80/882001/Image013yy.jpg[/IMG]
Old    kidrik            10-29-2007, 12:35 PM Reply   
Hey Erik, any pics yet brotha'......?