Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 22, 2006

Old    muckno_rider            05-09-2006, 9:24 PM Reply   
It seems that i'm allergic to lake water cause every time i'm in it my nose gets stuffed up for 3-4 days afterwards. This is a major problem cause during the summer i'm out riding nearly every day. Anyone out there got the same problem? Or better yet, anyone got some sort of miracle cure?
Old    sonicr1            05-09-2006, 9:33 PM Reply   
If I catch a nose full, my sinuses go haywire!!! (I am allergic to everything, though, so it doesn't suprise me) I generally keep Claritin D on hand and it usually clears me up. This year I have added Nasonex to my allergy arsenal.
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       05-10-2006, 10:58 AM Reply   
I used alegra and claritin as that happens to me occasionally. Some summers are worse than others, it didn't start happening until I was like 18 or so...but ever since...it sucks. I get a cold for like 2 weeks every time I go in the lake, so pretty much for the summer. Load up on claritin before you ride and all is well
Old     (drifter1136)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-10-2006, 5:55 PM Reply   
When we go in are lake I get really stuffed up, but at other lakes I don't. I think its because of the algae in are lake.
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-10-2006, 6:06 PM Reply   
Its the algae. Just like when they have Red Tide or algae blooms in the ocean. Your sinuses are screwed up for a while.
Old    muckno_rider            05-10-2006, 7:30 PM Reply   
Cheers Guys, I'm gonna try the claritin for a while and see if that works.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-11-2006, 7:19 AM Reply   
Singular also works fairly well. Testing Nasonex as well.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-11-2006, 8:07 AM Reply   
I know this sounds stupid, but if you will take and inhale salt water in your nasal cavities after you get out of the shower after you ride, you will not get that congestion, or it will be a whole lot less than what you are getting now. They also make a salt water spray you can get at the drug store and hit it a couple of times when you get done with your set.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       05-11-2006, 8:21 AM Reply   
Byrd, has the best recomendation. Use natural remedies when you can, and the salt water rinse does work. They make a special bottle to use or you can just fill a small squeeze bottle with some type cone head on it.
Old     (shredhead)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-11-2006, 8:39 AM Reply   
Use sea or Kosher salt, not iodized. Rinsing out after a riding helps me, but doesn't totally alleviate the symptoms
Old     (nauty_tique)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-11-2006, 12:35 PM Reply   
Hi guys,
My name is Mike, and I too suffer from allergies! How awesome is this post, we sound like a bunch of girls! j/k Do you guys find it worse early spring(now) than later on. I seem to suffer worse now of course due to the pollen etc... Our lake is/was almost completely covered with pollen which of course isn't good!
Old     (melanie_g)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-11-2006, 12:48 PM Reply   
Byrd is right, salt water nose spray. I had surgery on my nose, no more allergy or sinus problems!!
Old     (breadbutta)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-11-2006, 3:39 PM Reply   
Salt kills everything. Trappers used to use it as a preservative when smoking meat. (he said smoking meat) Personally, I would stay away from the man made chemical products.
Old     (wakeboarder84)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-11-2006, 5:10 PM Reply   
if your nose gets unpluggably plugged, use AFRIN. its a nasal spray. its so strong. it will clear your nose within minutes. problem is, it's so strong that you can only use it every 12 hours, and only 3 days in a row. it burns too. but its worth it.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-11-2006, 5:54 PM Reply   
I highly recommend you DO NOT use Afrin.

Your body can come dependent in as little as two days. Read the back of the bottle.

It happend to me a few years ago. Trust me it sucks breaking your body of nose crack.

Misery is the best yas to describe it.
Old    muckno_rider            05-15-2006, 2:36 AM Reply   
Cheers guys for all the recommendations. I actually went to the doctor on friday(having not slept for 3 days straight with the problem). He gave me a shot of steroids(120mg i think) and some of that Singular which worked a treat. Now I'm back on the water pumped up on roids and without a care in the world!!

P.s. I think Mike might be right. We sorta do sound like a bunch of girls!!
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-15-2006, 6:02 AM Reply   
Darren, I had that steroid treatment as well, in my experience it's the only thing that works perfectly.

The doctor made me sign a disclaimer though - that there was a possibility that I would get dimples on my butt (amusing) and that my hips would erode (not so amusing).
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-15-2006, 8:45 AM Reply   
Personally, I trust Allegra a lot more than shoving salt up my nose. I usually forget to take it though so I just have to deal with it. My wife used to have to take Benadryl for skin reactions until we switched lakes. Makes me kind of wonder what exactly was in the old lake. Allegra is just as "natural" as salt. When you show me something made from nothing, then I'll call it unnatural. Until then, everything is natural.
Old    muckno_rider            05-15-2006, 10:51 AM Reply   
I've never heard of Allegra. Not so sure you can get it over here.

Eroding hips! Thats pretty serious. But look on the bright side, in 25 years time when i'm tryin my new 2031 PARKS 140 DNA i'll look pimpin' with my new titanium hip!!