Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-26-2012, 6:43 PM Reply   
IMO, the fall brings two great things: 1) football and 2) hunting!

Do you agree?

I am looking forward to pheasant season which is starting for me this weekend.

And, to brag a bit, last weekend, I earned a "pointing gun dog" Senior Hunter Title on my pup. In the Senior Hunt Test, she must hunt, find and point the bird, be steady on wing and shot, retrieve to foot and separately honor another dog on-point. After passing 4 tests (in 5), she now adds the SH letters to her name.
Attached Images

Old     (wake26)      Join Date: Mar 2009       09-27-2012, 6:20 AM Reply   
I agree, this is a great time of year been chasing elk around the woods for the last month deer season getting ready to start love this time of year. congrats on your dog getting that title, pretty cool.
Old     (nautiquesonly)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-27-2012, 8:32 AM Reply   
What kind of dog is she?
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            09-27-2012, 8:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nautiquesonly View Post
What kind of dog is she?
Thats a vizla
Old     (chadgreg)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-27-2012, 8:49 AM Reply   
Great looking V! I have 2 and my sister has 1. I don't hunt them anymore but the smallest one in the picture is Bird CRAZY!

Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-27-2012, 9:11 AM Reply   
Well here is my shameless plug of the day. For any of you bow hunters my girlfriends father is part owner of a newer Archery company called Strother Archery. They make really high end compound bows. Personally I pretty much know zero about hunting. If any of you are looking for a new bow try and shoot one. They are suppose to be really nice. The companies background is in designing and building machines that assemble auto parts. When the economy crashed they obviously lost some business. Being hunters they decided to get into the bow business since they have the contacts to find/build high end compononents, their own CNC machines and great engineers. Here is their website if anybody wants to check out what they offer or look up a local dealer. They are based north of Detroit by a couple hours so I think they have a lot more dealers in teh midwest than on the west coast but I think they do have some dealers out here.

http://strotherarchery.com/
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-27-2012, 9:53 AM Reply   
Nice looking pups TBP. The bigger girl in the back of the vehicle looks more Hungarian.

Here's a picture of me and my pup in a hunt test. The bird is in the green clump that she is pointing. I am cautioning her to hold her point until I flush and hold her position until the shot. The gunners are coming in to take the shot after I flush. And, the judges on horseback are watching it unfold. After the bird is shot, I must release her to retrieve the bird to me within one step.
Attached Images

Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-30-2012, 7:30 PM Reply   
Pheasant hunted with a friend (pictured) this Saturday. We worked a bunch of birds with precision and took two home. Lots of fun and dinner.
Attached Images

Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       10-15-2012, 1:01 PM Reply   
Last weekend I achieved a huge accomplishment in my hunting career. Last year this buck was a monster typical 8 that I had passed on early in the season, the later and later into the season it got, the more I regretted passing on him. The last weekend of the 2011 season he came back out and gave me a shot. I had him at 26 yards and let an arrow fly. He "jumped the string" and ducked under the arrow, but still it still caught the top part of his back. I was sick, thinking I had blown my chance (little did I know this was a blessing in disguise). This year, on one of our trail cameras we got pictures that the buck indeed survived the wound, leaving him with a scar across his back from shoulder blade to shoulder blade and came back ~25 inches bigger as a 5x7! (In the first picture you can see the gash just above his shoulder on the spine.) Needless to say, I had him marked and wasn't going to let him get away this year. Last weekend he stepped out onto a 60 acre field I was hunting and took what seemed like hours to get into range. I came to full draw on him 3 times before letting an arrow fly at 30 yards. This time it was a clean hit, piercing both lungs. The deer ran about 80 yards and down into a pond where I recovered him. I couldn't be happier.
This is my first Pope & Young buck and biggest to date!
Attached Images

Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       10-18-2012, 12:46 PM Reply   
Awesome buck! I had one jump the string on me last year as well, just leaves you sick, but glad to hear/see he lived and you were able to capitolize this year!