Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (djarejay1200)      Join Date: Dec 2010       12-25-2010, 8:48 PM Reply   
So, here's my story... Used to hang out on Wakeworld a a lot and been snooping around. Bought a 2001 Mastercraft X-Star back in 2001 sold it to a friend which I now regret. The reason for selling the boat was from 2001 - 2005 we had put over 1,000 hours and had my first kid. Now 2010 I have 3 kids 6, 3 and 1 and I think it's time to possibly get another boat.

I start looking at 2001 - 2002 x-stars and can't believe how much they're still going for. What really blew my mind was how much new boats are. I start looking at 04' - 05' and find a really nice 04' for 39k shipped to California from back east with just over 500 hours. I call my local mastercraft dealer, whom I originally bought the 2001 from just to see if he has any used boats in stock and he makes me a sick deal on a 2010 fully loaded, tower camera, heaters, upgraded engine and I get 6% over 15yrs without having to come up with 40k out of pocket and I can take time paying the boat off. Of course never letting it go 15yrs. It comes to about 30k more than the 04. Is a 10' worth the extra money being under warranty and being completely loaded.

In the meantime I've looked at the VLX and SA but keep going back to MC.

My question, everything I read about the new X-Star seems pretty positive without too many negatives. Am I missing anything? Is there any major differences between the earlier X-stars to the 2010 besides the cockpit?

I'm about to pull the trigger next week, I think... any advise/input would be appreciated.

R.J.
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-25-2010, 11:56 PM Reply   
Alrighty, I'll bite.

70K for a new Mastercraft sounds good but what model is it?

Also, from my experience and IMHO, Mastercrafts are notorious for their small interior room compared to the other top end boats. This might be a big deal for you now that you have a good sized family, and I would guess will probably go boating with similarly sized families on your boat.

Thats the only serious issue I have with Mastercrafts. Other than that, they obviously are great boats, but what model are we talking about?
Old    mojo            12-26-2010, 12:07 AM Reply   
Any pickle fork x-star is not small at all. 39k for an 04 is too much, but shipping included is fairy acceptable. Shop around. 15 yrs sounds dumb. Put something down. You aren't buying a house.
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       12-26-2010, 5:13 AM Reply   
Have you driven/ridden any of the newer boats a lot has changed since 2001. I would check out all the top builders. I think you will find they all have something different to offer. Take your time and get one you can afford . Being upside down in a boat is never a good thing.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       12-26-2010, 5:58 AM Reply   
You need to demo any boat before you buy it. The new xstar will not ride, surf, or produce a wake anything like your old 205v hull. It's just different in many ways. I had an 02 xstar back in the day. I traded it in on a vlx back in 06 for more room. In 07 I thought about getting an 08 xstar, but I couldn't do it because it felt smaller than my vlx. I ended up buying a sante 230 for the same deal I could have gotten on the xstar. I had 3 230s over the past few years and the were great boats. However, the 230s (along with the other flag ship wakeboard, have simply gotten outrageously expensive, and even though I get boats at cost, I wasn't willing to pay that much anymore because the resale market for a 80k used promo boat is pretty damn small). I'm getting an axis a22 next year. The boat will be paid off and I won't have to worry about struggling to flip the a22. I have one kid and another on the way and there is plenty of room in the a22. I think it is bigger inside than the xstar. You can get a well optioned a22 in the 40s.

I have no problem with the 15 year financing you are considering. I always financed my new boats for that term. It gives you the flexibility to pay much more most months but also to drop your payment way down if you need to.
Old     (bobenglish)      Join Date: Mar 2008       12-26-2010, 8:03 AM Reply   
I went from a 205V (your 2001 X-star) to an 08 X-star. The main differences for me were:

- Newer X-star obviously has much more room. Huge bow section and with 3 kids and gear, that will be a big plus.
- Newer X-star has tons of storage space.
- Newer X-star handles like a pig compared to your 205V. But I think that is true of must newer, 22-24 foot wake boats. Does not handle poorly mind you, just nothing like your 205V
- Newer X-star is better in rough water.
- Newer X-star has a markedly different wake. Much wider, much more of a transition with less lip. To get a good lip, you will need more weight than you needed in your 01 X-star. But the long transition is much nicer on your knees and back.

I hope that helps.
Old     (djarejay1200)      Join Date: Dec 2010       12-26-2010, 8:42 PM Reply   
Thanks for all of the advice...

I would definitely put enough down where I would never be upside down. Just seems a little smarter putting the money somewhere else since it's only 6% interest.

I guess my biggest question is how much better is an '10 than a '04. I see MC introduced this "BIG" system. Anyone have any experience with it?

Room is also a concern. I think before I commit I'm going to take another look at the VLX.

Thanks again!
Old     (tw)      Join Date: Jul 2010       12-26-2010, 9:47 PM Reply   
Any interest in an 06 x-1 with approx 200 hours, I'm in Southern Californa
Old     (Tmannsx80)      Join Date: Mar 2010       12-26-2010, 10:42 PM Reply   
Any interest in an 03 280vld/x-80 350 hrs, loaded 45$ in northern Ca.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       12-26-2010, 11:17 PM Reply   
Rj, I believe the 04 and 10 xstars are for all intents and purposes the same boat. I don't think there have been any hull changes or structural changes. I think there might have been a rudder change to help handling somewhere in there though. Check the bend oregon craigslist. There was an amazing 04 xstar with the LQ9 engine listed for 42.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       12-27-2010, 6:16 AM Reply   
the 04 and 10 are basically the same boat- cosmetic changes only. Sizes are the same. If you're seriously worried about the size, the X-star is not the roomiest of the MC line- an 08 X 15 has more room inside than the X-star. If you absolutely are sold on the X-star, i'd go with the 04 and save some money. it's fully depreciated and still an awesome boat. you're paying a LOT of extra cash for some updated graphics, and minor improvements.
have fun.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       12-27-2010, 7:31 AM Reply   
R.J. We have an 08 Star with the LY6, if there is anything in particular you would like to know feel free to ask.

Out of curiosity, how much room are you needing? Our boat comfortably seats 8-9 average size adults, plenty of room for gear, drinks, snacks, etc. And we usually run 2,500 lbs of extra ballast (in addition to stock), all hidden.

Maybe I'm different, but performance and reliability are what I look for, not having a floating POD or room for 15+ people.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       12-27-2010, 8:19 AM Reply   
Here is the link to the 04 I mentioned. The biggest thing an 04 would be missing in my opinion is the swivel racks. It wouldn't be a deal breaker in my opinion but they are a very nice option. I am not sure what the general consensus is on the LQ9 engine is. I know it is insanely expensive to replace but it should have more then enough power.
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/boa/2128252817.html

Here is another one that I would seriously consider. The only downfall I see is that it has the MCX. The MCX will work, even with extra ballast, but will need to be repropped.
http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=821571

If you are going to want to surf the Xstar really is not a very good option. Most of the Xstars don't have a pylon so you can't really tow tubes if you have kids. If you are someone who needs to have a really perfect/large wake plan on adding the Fly High Pro Tour ballast setup. If you want a better all around boat that still produces a great wake look at the X15. It is built the same way as the xstar but it has the more traditional pointed bow. It has a ton more room in the cockpit then the Xstar. The bow is just pretty small compared to the Xstar but not compared to most other wake boats.

Last edited by polarbill; 12-27-2010 at 8:27 AM.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       12-27-2010, 8:45 AM Reply   
Brett, I respect your opinion and I generally recognize you as one of the most knowledgable people on this forum with regards to boats, but I disagree with you comment about surfing behind an Xstar. Granted, it is not even close to the best surf wake out there, but you can surf behind a Star. We are not huge surfers, but we do it from time to time, and we were able to get a decent surf wake with out totally having to overload the port side (our crew is pretty much all left foot forward).

If you are buying it to primarily surf, then I would look at a different boat, but if you are only going to surf occasionally, then I wouldn't rule it out.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       12-27-2010, 9:04 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake77 View Post
Brett, I respect your opinion and I generally recognize you as one of the most knowledgable people on this forum with regards to boats, but I disagree with you comment about surfing behind an Xstar. Granted, it is not even close to the best surf wake out there, but you can surf behind a Star. We are not huge surfers, but we do it from time to time, and we were able to get a decent surf wake with out totally having to overload the port side (our crew is pretty much all left foot forward).

If you are buying it to primarily surf, then I would look at a different boat, but if you are only going to surf occasionally, then I wouldn't rule it out.
That is more what I was trying to convey. If surfing is a priority there are other options that may be better but I am sure the Xstar is plenty capable of producing a wave that can be surfed.