Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (craig_xti_88)      Join Date: Apr 2009       04-10-2009, 2:30 PM Reply   
Hey guys!! I'm new here, but I've been wakeboarding/waterskiing/barefooting for a while.
I posted this first under another section, but this looks like it would be a better place.

I'm wanting to try Wakesurfing and was wondering how to best weigh my boat down and what board would be the best?

Thanks for the help!
Old     (ollies_drew)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-10-2009, 3:03 PM Reply   
Craig,

If you do a search there are a ton of threads about weighting boats that will probably help you. If not there are a bunch of guys on here that will fill you in. L:ets us know what kind of boat you have and it will make the answers more specific.
and Welcome to Wakesurfing. Your funniest days on the boat are now just ahead of you.
Drew Danielo
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-10-2009, 5:56 PM Reply   
You got a response from the world Champion, Drew; you came to the right place.

Ya, more info will help. Your size and maybe if you’ve surfed before will also help. Have you thought about skim style boards and surf style boards? What kind of tricks do you want to do? There are some web sites with videos. With the header on this forum I hesitate to point to the web sites.
Old     (craig_xti_88)      Join Date: Apr 2009       04-11-2009, 7:10 PM Reply   
Thanks guys...I have a 2000 malibu sunsetter XTi. I know its probably not the best boat for wakesurfing, but I'm sure someone has made it work. I'm 6'1" and weight 175. Eventually I want to be able to do some tricks but right now I'm just looking to get into it.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-11-2009, 7:36 PM Reply   
A disclaimer – in past years several wakesurf board manufacturers have sponsored events that I organize.

I've had some experience with a few boards but I only ride so well.

I've found that the HL Broadcast is a good stable starter board. The Inland surfer lineup is pretty good. The IS Blue is quality board that most ride well. The Blue will work better on a small wake than a broadcast.

If you want to ride surf style Shred Stixx and Walker Project are very good. Drew’s the World Champ on Phase 5 boards, a skim style board. There are other good skim boards as well but I generally don't ride skim so it’s hard for me to speak to them.

Have fun, let us know how it goes.
Old     (usostyle)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-12-2009, 12:06 PM Reply   
I second the IS blue and HL broadcast. HL landlock is not a bad beginner board either, but it's definitely a beginner/cruise-only type board. I haven't ridden them yet, but have heard good things about the new Ronix line-up, the one's with the split tails, the bigger one (5'4" i think) looks pretty buoyant but still maneuverable once you progress to tricks...Welcome to wakesurfing and have fun!
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-12-2009, 2:14 PM Reply   
I? didn't like the Ronix, it was slow, slower than the Broadcast.
Old     (deepcove)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-12-2009, 2:48 PM Reply   
I am not sure which Ronix model you are refering too but the Ronix Koal is much faster and more responsive then the Broadcast.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-12-2009, 2:54 PM Reply   
Ronix Capton. I'm a big guy, that's relative, anyway I’m 210 to 220 and 6'2". I was riding an IS Yellow. A friend pulled up and asked me to try his Ronix Capton. I had to slow down from 12.5 to about 9.5 mph to ride the board. The yellow is a small board but it's fast, blue is faster.
Old     (craig_xti_88)      Join Date: Apr 2009       04-12-2009, 7:33 PM Reply   
Thanks guys...I'll look up those boards tomorrow. I'll keep ya posted on how its going. If ya have any other advice keep it coming!
Old     (nikko1)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-14-2009, 7:08 AM Reply   
In regards to durability, how do these boards do? Shred Stixx, Inland Blue, or Walker Project. Do you really have to baby them. What if you drop one carrying it to the boat, will that ding it up or are they more durable than that. I know from surfing that I was always paranoid of dinging my boards, is it the same with these. I will have riders ranging from 180 - 215lbs. This is our second year wakesurfing. Looking to get a board very soon. I have learned a lot from you guys and really appreciate it.
Old    surfdad            04-14-2009, 10:58 AM Reply   
My two cents. The stock boards offered by Shred Stixx and TWP share the same basic construction: EPS core with fiberglass and Epoxy resin. Drop those on a rail on the launch ramp from 3 feet high and you're guaranteed a dent or spider crack in the epoxy. These boards will also develop heel dents over time. Probably not as quickly as an old school PuPe surfboard. I should mention that both of these manufacturers can make a custom board out of just about any material and resin, but the currently offered stock boards are Epoxy, Fiberglass and EPS.

Inland's typically will never develop heel dents, but if you drop them on concrete the high concentration of resin on the exterior will crack and chip. The other two boards typically won't chip the exterior resin. Inland's also will be heavier than the two manufacturer's stock boards mentioned above.

None of the boards will be destroyed by dings, you can fix them and heel dents, some would argue, give your feet proper alignment. :-)

I think everyone would recommend treating any of the boards mentioned with due care, but it's probably less than the "paranoid" feeling you've had in the past.

In "general-knock-about" in the boat, the Inland's are less susceptible to requiring repair, although in the scenario you suggested of dropping the board, all of them fair about the same, just different effects.
Old     (nikko1)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-14-2009, 11:34 AM Reply   
Sounds good, I am leaning more towards the Inland, but am looking for a good price. The cheapest one I've found was $460, and I know that is a good price, but still looking for a better price.

One more question, how about hitting the swim step? Do you think the Inland would endure that? I am going to have some first timers on the boat.
Old    surfdad            04-14-2009, 11:47 AM Reply   
In the typical scenario, where a newb bails and slams the board into a teak swimdeck the board will do fine. That is: the impact is only at about 2 or so MPH, net, the rider is not on the board adding to the mass and the board hits wood which tends to absorb some of the impact.

IMO, Inland is pretty familiar with the typical things that boards are subjected to and build to prevent product returns for these normal situations. However, a 300 newb slamming into an aluminum swimdeck full-on, most likely is going to create some damage.

IMO, you'll be fine with an Inland in your situation.
Old     (nikko1)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-14-2009, 11:59 AM Reply   
Thanks again James, appreciate it. Now I just need to find a cheap one, or just pony up!
Old     (jstieg)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-20-2009, 8:32 PM Reply   
im sellin one of my personal boards. got it made for a photoshoot, but want to work on something new. its a shredstixx custom comp 1 made spacific for me. its got a slightly different tail, my personal rail shape and some chanals in the bottom. quad fin epoxy, only used for one weekend. hit me up with a pm if your interested
Old     (nikko1)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-27-2009, 11:33 AM Reply   
Is there a big difference in the Island Surfer Blue Lake Quad board in regards to adding the
Trick or Speed Line Thrusters fins as opposed to just using the two that come with the board.
Old     (packrat)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-27-2009, 12:51 PM Reply   
No matter which board you get be sure to get a board bag!

You can find cheap ones on ebay ie: Hyperlite or often get a bag from whomever you buy the board from.

Don't say you will "get it later" get it now, very important.

Protects your investment and also protects resale value down the road too if you switch boards.

Board bags also protect against the sun from fading or swelling if you are in very hot sun.

Also the bag is a great place to store spare fins or parts.
Old     (isurf)      Join Date: Feb 2009       04-27-2009, 2:44 PM Reply   
i wouldnt sweat the board bag too much.
the swelling(gassing) of the boards that packrats talkin about happens when the board is lammed with moisture still in the uncured foam..this mostly happens with cheaply made, profit oriented, chinese made wakesurfboards that are being outsourced for profit not quality.
As long as you get a board made in the USA you will be fine no matter what you choose
Old    surfdad            04-27-2009, 3:22 PM Reply   
What a crock!

I'm not going to enter into the China vs USA made boards fray - it just doesn't matter to me and folks can make their own decisions about buying USA made or not. But don't disseminate misinformation, please.

Low density EPS will off-gas and is used in many quality manufactured boards both in the USA, Australia, and from Cobra. Picture of a Firewire with a vent on the deck to allow the gas to escape.

Polyurethane demolds in 2 hours. Tack free in 5 minutes and can be handled in 20 minutes. By the time you split the blank pulled from the mold, glue up the stringer, it could be shaped and glassed without any "uncured" foam.

There are legitimate arguments between USA and China ,ade boards, don't pull reasons out of the air.

Upload
Old     (isurf)      Join Date: Feb 2009       04-27-2009, 8:22 PM Reply   
after having one of my china boards delam i took it to hurricane surf and had it repaired.
the guys in the shop who have been making boards for 30 years not 3 years told me about the moisture in the foam and the risks of leavn it in the sun.
imo eps foam is the cheapest foam avaliable thats why the cheap boards are made from it.
its just my opinion,wasnt pullin from the air
Old     (jstieg)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-27-2009, 9:20 PM Reply   
actually eps boards are more expensive.
Old     (nikko1)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-28-2009, 6:25 AM Reply   
Thanks for the info on the board bags....How about my other question - Is there a big difference in the Island Surfer Blue Lake Quad board in regards to adding the
Trick or Speed Line Thrusters fins as opposed to just using the two that come with the board.
Old     (flywatchingall)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-28-2009, 8:23 AM Reply   
"By waves (isurf) on Monday, April 27, 2009 - 8:22 pm:

after having one of my china boards delam"

I am currently looking at new boards, what board do you have that delamed?
Old     (lance_alot)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-30-2009, 10:54 AM Reply   
Disclaimer: I am a washed up Inland Surfer team rider and am currently employed by Inland Surfer. Nikko, generally speaking adding more fins or bigger fins to a blue lake will "tighten" up the tail. Using smaller fins or using less(1pr. instead of 2pr.)fins will give the board a "looser" feel. In my case I like to ride the blue lake with 1 pr. of carbon XL fins on the outside locations and the standard large fins on the inside locations. this gives the board a "tight" or "locked" in feel but adds "drive" when pumping down the line. this set up allows me to accelerate faster when I pump. If you are trying to spin the blue lake I would suggest using smaller fins at first until you get the technique down. It all depends on what you are trying to achieve. if you look at the guys like James W. and Chase H. who are getting huge air, look at the size and amount of fins those dudes are riding.
Old     (nikko1)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-30-2009, 11:16 AM Reply   
Thank you very much for the info!