Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 10, 2007

Old     (ccwhite)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-13-2007, 4:24 AM Reply   
So I was out riding this weekend when the boat started to have a vibration. Even though I didn't hear us hit anything I immediatly thought that something had bent the prop/shaft or was wrapped around it. I stoped the boat and dove down to take a look but I couldnt see anything wrong. I idled back to the ramp, but the boat on the trailer and noticed a very small bend on the tip of one of the blades. I was able to use a pair of pliers to fix it, but after I put the boat back in the water the vibration was still there.

My question is how much of a tolerance does a prop have before it causes a distinct vibration? Also, what else can cause that type of feeling?
Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       08-13-2007, 8:19 AM Reply   
A prop is similar to a tire on a car in that it needs to be balanced. Even a slight nick or bend in a blade can cause sever vibration. I would send it to a prop shop and have them look at it.
Good luck.
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-13-2007, 10:33 AM Reply   
I've seen props that look absolutely chewed up run decent and I've seen props that barely have noticeable scratches vibrate you to death. Looking at a prop is not a good way to determine how good a shape it's in. If you can get your hands on a dial indicator, use it to make sure the prop shaft isn't off. If that checks out ok, take the prop to a shop.