Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (tahoeguy7)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-06-2012, 10:40 AM Reply   
I was wondering if anyone has experience with both boards. I have ridden the 2011 Recoil 138 and I like the speed and pop, but the landings were rough to me. That could be a function of the size of the board since I am used to bigger boards but I don't know.

I am looking to replace my 2006 Premier 141 (which feels like a tank compared to the Recoil) and I think I would like to look more into boards with flex, but I definitely want something lighter and faster than what I have.

I don't have a lot of experience with other boards since our crew is pretty small, but I have ridden a Byerly Assault and the white Shane. I did not like the Assault at all. The Shane was ok to me but I wasn't in love with it.

Any thoughts or opinions on this would be helpful. Thanks
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       01-06-2012, 10:50 AM Reply   
I have an 09 recoil 142 and I love the way the board lands, maybe check out done of the ballistic series boards like the Hooke?
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       01-06-2012, 12:10 PM Reply   
I have ridden both. The Recoil is my board of choice for both boat and cable. I ride a 2010 Recoil, but I've tried the 2012 on boat and cable as well. I've ridden the 2011 Phoenix Project behind the boat, and I thought it was rubbish. It's completely unrideable finless, which is no fun, and Ronix's fins (even the 0.8s) make it too sticky. The flex is nowhere near as lively or noticeable as the Slingshots. I didn't feel comfortable with the pop.

In short, the Phoenix Project was probably the worst board I've tried. That said, I know a lot of guys who swear by it, I didn't get to try it on rails, and I've never liked the way Ronix boards ride. I think it's a personal preference thing to some extent. Demo them both if possible, but I think you'll find that the Slingshot is head and shoulders above the Ronix.
Old     (tahoeguy7)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-08-2012, 4:06 PM Reply   
Would you say the Phoenix is as sticky as the byerly assault?
Old     (e_rock32)      Join Date: Oct 2009       01-08-2012, 4:53 PM Reply   
Continuous and Subtle 3-stage boards will land softer and ride faster. If your interested in Slingshot, look into the response, reflex, and shredtown. Also, there are some others they make if you want to try stiffer boards. I've rode the recoil, reflex, and response. Personally, I like the response the best, but I like the tail shape of the recoil. The shredtown seems that it will be the best of both worlds, so I'm curious to try it out.

Sorry, I can't help you out with the Ronix Phoenix Project, it looks like a decent hybrid board, but I don't think it would have much more flex than a regular wakeboard.
Old     (gotwake133)      Join Date: May 2010       01-08-2012, 5:30 PM Reply   
I ride the Phoenix on the cable on a regular basis, and after riding boards from just about every company I think I has one of the better bases. I think it slides really well, (I have slide it on Trex sliders and at OWC) and I have been very pleased with it. It doesn't flex as much as a Watson Hybrid or something similar, but it has much more flex than a regular board. Behind the boat, its not my favorite, but you kinda have to learn to like it in a way.
A board I would highly recommend is the LF Tex. I rode it today for the first time and loved it. The molded in fins are super easy to break lose, and the board tracks really well and has very soft landings.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       01-08-2012, 5:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoeguy7 View Post
Would you say the Phoenix is as sticky as the byerly assault?
I couldn't tell you. The only Byerly I've ridden was the 2011 Conspiracy. I think the Phoenix was a little bit stickier even then that. Also, as Eric said, take a look at some of Slingshot's other products. The Recoil does have its downsides. As a result of its massive rocker line and featureless base, it isn't the fastest board in the world and it lands quite harshly sometimes.

Personally, I don't like the stiffer Slingshots because they take away a lot of the fun flex of my old Recoil and don't seem to pop any harder. There just doesn't seem to be any benefit to them. For 2012, they've made their entire line stiffer, including the Recoil, and I think that's a big mistake. None of the new Slingshots are as fun and flexy as my 2010 Recoil, except maybe the Choice, which I haven't had a chance to ride.

Last edited by TheHebrewHammer; 01-08-2012 at 5:56 PM.
Old     (tahoeguy7)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-09-2012, 6:44 AM Reply   
I did enjoy being able to flex out the Recoil while riding. However, I don't have to have a lot of flex. I may look into the different Slingshot models to see what they have to offer.

Travis mentioned the Watson Hybrid. I haven't previously thought about that. What kind of ride overall does it have compared to the Recoil?
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-09-2012, 7:42 AM Reply   
I prefer the Pheonix over a traditonal "flex" board. The pheonix snaps a lot faster of of the water on ollies and that opens up a lot of new lines that I just can't get to on a wood-core board. Also, I tend to stand a little taller in my presses and really lean into them. When I am on a traditonal flex board I have to get the nose of the board almost completely under my hip to get a good bend out of the board. I tends to be a little inconsistant especially on larger transfers. (I tend to land and roll into the press rather than slamming right on it.)

I ride the District Sintered (Wake and Park) and I can press the board harder with more consistant results. The Pheonix -S is my second choice for the park.
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       01-09-2012, 10:04 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiboarder View Post
I prefer the Pheonix over a traditonal "flex" board. The pheonix snaps a lot faster of of the water on ollies and that opens up a lot of new lines that I just can't get to on a wood-core board. Also, I tend to stand a little taller in my presses and really lean into them. When I am on a traditonal flex board I have to get the nose of the board almost completely under my hip to get a good bend out of the board. I tends to be a little inconsistant especially on larger transfers. (I tend to land and roll into the press rather than slamming right on it.)
This just sounds ridiculous to me. I would argue the exact opposite of every point. The Phoenix Project is likely the worst board I've ridden in a while. Its sooo slow, sticky, and has incredibly boring flex characteristics. I'm an SS guy fasho, but I'd recommend any flex from LF's or just about any other manufacturer's line before I'd tell someone to get a PP.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       01-09-2012, 1:09 PM Reply   
It's definitely a love or hate board. It feels really different from other companies' flex boards.
Old     (tahoeguy7)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-09-2012, 2:14 PM Reply   
It sounds like the Phoenix is a completely different animal based on these posts. I guess when Ruck talks about the "late pop" and "stored energy" he is doing his best to describe how different of a board it is.
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       01-09-2012, 2:43 PM Reply   
I've never come across somebody who didn't like their Slingshot, I would go to your nearest dealer and look Att the whole product line.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-09-2012, 3:02 PM Reply   
Different styles I guess. I can have fun on a woodcore. I own a humanoid plank 136 (its for sale, $150 delivered) and really enjoy it, especially on boxy rails, but a stiffer shape like a pheonix or the district fits me best.

The pheonix always does well in product tests.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       01-10-2012, 7:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoeguy7 View Post
I guess when Ruck talks about the "late pop" and "stored energy" he is doing his best to describe how different of a board it is.
Ya man, he must know something I don't, because it felt more like NO energy than STORED energy.