Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 28, 2004

Old    sbvfive            07-12-2004, 8:30 AM Reply   
So I have been doing scarecrows nice and early, and big, so I thought that I had enough time to throw a crow mobe. So I tried it on Sat. and I under rotated just a little and slipped back slowly on my butt. As soon as a hit the water, my shoulder popped. I dislocated my left shoulder....I could see the bone sticking out and my arm was twisted. My dad popped it back oin on the swim platform. It still hurts like hell, and I can't see my ortho or get an MRI until Fri. Has this happened to anyone?? How long am I out for?? I read on WebMD that in males under 20 reccurence rates are like 90% Any truth to that?? Any info you guys have would be great....
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-12-2004, 8:46 AM Reply   
My friend did the same thing. He was only out for 3-4 weeks. If you don't strength train already, get yourself into a gym and start building big strong shoulders.

Nice job going for the Crow Mobe!!! That's awesome.
Old    sbvfive            07-12-2004, 9:37 AM Reply   
J-Rod, has it happened to your friend again since??
Old    wakechick            07-12-2004, 9:50 AM Reply   
I know somebody who had a problem with both of his shoulders. They kept dislocating and he had to have surgery on both shoulders. One of them kept dislocating even after surgery and he had to have it done again.

I haven't been around him much this season to know how he is doing. I also don't know if it was a specific medical condition he had or what. Hopefully your friend won't have the same problem, Scott!
Old     (captainfreedom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-12-2004, 9:52 AM Reply   
I have done that several times. I am usually out 5-7 days until the pain goes away for the most part and am then back riding. I most likely need surgery (have done it to both shoulders), but I have hit the weights pretty hard in the last 2 years and since then, no dislocations.

I have had a few falls this year that would have dislocated it 2 years ago, but it is not happening now. I think adding muscle and strength in the shoulders really helps.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-12-2004, 10:11 AM Reply   
It has not happened to my friend again. But he's careful not to push it once his upper body gets tired. Listen to Brent. Muscle holds everything together. Build yourself an extra strong upper body.
Old    sbvfive            07-12-2004, 11:36 AM Reply   
Brent, that sounds good...I was a baseball player for a long time so I was in great shape, but I stopped playing and I am not in the shape i used to be. I will be getting back to the gym regulary though now.
Old     (wakemonster)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-12-2004, 12:20 PM Reply   
friend of mine popped his shoulder out riding behind my boat last month... turns out his shoulder pops out alot, riding dirt bikes, wakeboarding, etc. He's pretty messed up and will have to have surgery to correct it. Not good
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-12-2004, 12:36 PM Reply   
Scott- You need to learn how to use key phrases or words if you want to get in to see your MD quicker.
Shoulder Dislocations/Subluxations:
Numbness of the entire arm, Arm/hand/fingers feels cold with mottled appearance, fingers looking a little blue/discolored, Loss of tactile sensation....
If your explaination is correct, you probably have some tearing involved not only with the ligaments, but possible the Labrium as well. But lets hope not.
But that's just a guess from the description.
Keep on icing and use a sling if at all possible.

Old    sbvfive            07-12-2004, 12:47 PM Reply   
Phantom, thanks...I am back on the phone with the ortho now. You seem to know your details, how long will I be out. Is surgery probable...how about recurrences??
Old     (dallas141)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-12-2004, 3:46 PM Reply   
Here is my experience with shoulders, I had subluxations in both shoulders for awhile (shoulder would pop out, back in on its own) while playing football a few years back in college. Strength training usually prevented it from happening all the time. Then I took a hit in a game and completley dislocated it (which sounds like what you did since your dad had to pop it back in). I didn't have any tears in any ligaments but i did destroy my labrium and had to have surgery. If you tore ligaments, your gonna need surgery, if you tore your labrium, the doc will probably give you the option to rehab without surgery to strengthen the muscles around it but risking reoccurance down the road, or having the surgery right away to fix it. Bottom line is, if you don't have surgery it will re-occur throughout the rest of your life, or have surgery now and be on the shelf for 2-3 months but have the problem fixed. I chose surgery and don't regret it one bit, shoulder is nice and tight and strong.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-12-2004, 3:58 PM Reply   
Scott Verillo - Listen to D-Money...a man who's been through it all. Your down time is dependant upon the severity of the injury and how conservative your MD is. But Rehab/Physical Therapy is a must.
Old    sbvfive            07-13-2004, 6:39 AM Reply   
Thanks guys....keep the info coming. The more knowledge I can have about my injury before I see the doc, the better. I want to make sure that I am well informed, and you guys are helping out so much...
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-13-2004, 11:13 AM Reply   
Scott, I have had my left shoulder dislocate while riding 2 years ago. The ball of my arm actually got stuck under the socket and was jammed in my armpit. It was stuck there for about 20 minutes!!! I ended up not tearing anything, but DANG did it hurt and really stretch things out in the shoulder joint. I was out for 6 weeks in a sling and could not lift anything with that arm. It was that loose in the joint and I could not raise my arm past straight out. I did physical therapy for about 9 months in order to get full range of motion back and continue to do PT on BOTH shoulders about every other day to strenghten up the muscles and all the workings of the shoulder joint. It is important that you do not continue to pop your shoulder out. You run the big risk or really tearing it up or even breaking the ball joint. That you don't want to do. If you can lift your arm up and rotate it without difficulty or pain, I would say you are in pretty good shape and should start doing excercised to get the joint tightened up. If youi have limited range of motion, or pain in the shoulder, I would skip riding for a while. Trust me, if you have limited range of motion and a wakeboarding crash forces your arm beyond that point , you are going to be in some eye watering pain and quite possibly tear some stuff up.
Old    sbvfive            07-13-2004, 12:29 PM Reply   
ANdrew, can you ride at 100 percent yet?? And what kinds of exercises are you doing fo PT??Thanks for the info...
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-13-2004, 12:49 PM Reply   
My shoulder is probaby about 90% of perfect. I feel it will never be 100%. I ride just fine, but with some extra caution when I crash. I fold my arms in whenever possible during a wreck. The excercises I do are specific to the rotator cuff and the shoulder. There are abduction, induction, lifts, rotations, pulling, rowing etc. All performed with a huge elastic band called a Powerband. I can't describe all the stretches and excercises, but you can get a really good idea by doing a google search for shoulder injury and rotator cuff injury.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-13-2004, 4:41 PM Reply   
Had a SLAP and complete Bicep tendon tear last year. Serious injury, took about 4 months for total recovery. Now the bicep tendon sits at the top of my humerus
Old    sbvfive            07-15-2004, 6:43 AM Reply   
Ortho appt. and MRI coming up today and tommarrow. I will update everyone as soon as I know...thanks for all the help.
Old    sbvfive            07-19-2004, 3:53 PM Reply   
Yup, its official. Surgery on Thursday, 8-12 weeks rehab. Let me know what you think
Old     (dallas141)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-19-2004, 4:09 PM Reply   
What was injured in the shoulder?
Old     (mvda)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-19-2004, 4:17 PM Reply   
Scott, I have a good friend with a throroughly messed up shoulder. After a couple surgeries that never completely fixed the problem, he started riding with a jump sling on his bad arm. He's been riding with it for almost 10 years now. It doesn't hold him back that much. Most would say it doesn't hold him back at all. Check out the sites below.

http://www.schiek.com/misc.html

http://www.masterlineusa.com/pgi-Product%20Spec?MLJSXL

Old     (drewsmug)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-19-2004, 4:20 PM Reply   
i had surgery at the end of last season for dislocating my left shoulder on a backroll. i was out of snowboarding for the whole season. thankfully i was fully functional for wakeboarding season this year. although i'll addmitt i haven't tried a backroll since. also i did all the stretch excersizes because you lose like 80% of all your movement. but i didn't do any strenth conditioning, and i've had a injury free season so far. but i would recommend doing the strength stuff because i can tell my arm is way weak and it does feel funny still, like not as cordinated as it use to be.
Old    grampawakerider            07-19-2004, 4:54 PM Reply   
I just dislocated my shoulder (again) on Friday. I was trying to learn surface 360's at 12mph. I thought sure I'd be safe doing that. I was trying to go w2w in the same set and was casing the wake. Then I got tired so was doing the 3's. Can't seem to pass the handle cuz my shoulder is so bad I can barely touch my hands behind my back. Anyway, I was out riding again on Sunday and will go again tommorow after work. The link that Matt posted to the jump sling looks like a godsend.

Matt, does it interfere with riding switch? I'm goofy foot and my left shoulder is the bad one.
Old     (dallas141)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-19-2004, 4:55 PM Reply   
Don't scare the guy, I had my surgery, did all my rehab and strength training and have played a full season on football on it, taken upteen million hits, and have completley eaten s--t on the water and my shoulder is as good as new. Matt VdA - your buddy must have really messed his shoulder up or had a crappy, crappy surgeon.
Old    sbvfive            07-19-2004, 5:09 PM Reply   
D-Money, thanks for trying to not scare me...I tore my labrum. It is my first dislocation, but bad enough where each doc that I see tells me that without surgery its bound to re-occur. So I am going to have the surgery, rehab like crazy and be back. I rehabbed a blown out knee a year ago and only missed about 3 months of the 6-8 that they said i would, so I am hoping that 8 weeks of hard rehabbing and i will be back from this. It took me forever to get all my tricks back after the knee injury though, hopefully this is not the same.
Old     (dallas141)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-19-2004, 6:14 PM Reply   
I tore my labrum as well, just stretch that bitch as much as you can, the hardest thing for me was to get my range of motion back, the strength will come, just listen to the doctors and the therapist and don't be a p---y and you'll be fine. I feel for you, good luck bro, if you need any advice or encouragement just let me know.
Old    grampawakerider            07-19-2004, 7:39 PM Reply   
Scott...
Sorry to hear the news. Shoulder injuries suck!! Never had my shoulder looked at professionally and it's been out probably a dozen times or so. Could ya tell me, what did the Dr do to deduce your labrum is torn,MRI?
Old     (dallas141)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-19-2004, 7:54 PM Reply   
Mark, MRI will tell you, mine was so badly torn he had me hold my arms out straight in front of me, point my thumbs down, and push up against his hands, my shoulder popped right out everytime. If your shoulder has been out 12 times you definatley have something wrong, surgery will fix it or you can deal with the dislocations constantly reoccuring. If it hurts all the time I would go get it looked at if I was you, if it doesn't and it is just something you are used to, well, i guess that would be up to you to get it fixed or not.
Old    sbvfive            07-20-2004, 5:57 AM Reply   
D-Money, thanks again, i will keep everyone updated thru this site. Mark, If I were you I would see an orthopedic surgeon with a heavy sports mad background. He'll send you for an MRI, get everything figured out for you. My ortho told me that in order for a shoulder to pop out, something HAS to fail. In my case it was the labrum. In your case it could be alot worse. The good news is that surgery can fix you up good as new....look into it.
Old     (cinder1995)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-20-2004, 8:17 AM Reply   
I dislocated mine working out about 10 years ago. I also tore my inner bicep in the process. It still gives me pain in the gym (and a few other things)to this day.

And I would say the probability of 90% is accurate.
Old     (mvda)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-20-2004, 8:46 AM Reply   
Mark- It won't interfere too much with riding switch. Tony's left shoulder is the one that is messed up and he also rides goofy. He swears by the jump sling. He has all sorts spins, switch and regular, and throws several grabbed inverts and a few technical tricks as well. People only notice that he wears the jump sling when he's suiting up. You can't tell when he's on the water.

D-Money - He messed it up pretty bad, had surgery, and then messed it up again before full recovery, more surgery, and so on. All I know is that he wouldn't be riding if he didn't have the sling.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-20-2004, 9:16 AM Reply   
Yeah, I recently watch Tony ride. That shoulder brace doesn't hold him back at all. Matt, can he do raley based tricks?
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       07-20-2004, 9:38 AM Reply   
I dislocated mine really bad when I was 21. My entire arm was twisted upside down and was sticking out behind me. I was barefooting, so it really freaked me out when I came up and was swimming in circles trying to figure out what happened.

It was approximately two hours before it was put back in. It happened at Lake San Antonio and the nearest hospital is at least an hour away. After I got there they did x-rays to figure out how to put it back in because the artery in my arm was stretched across the socket and if they just popped it back in, it would have cut off the blood to my arm.

Anyway, although there were no tears, it stretched the hell out of everything. The doc said that it would most likely happen again and then I would have to get surgery. I'm 36 now and it has rolled out probably 20 times since then. Each time it's pretty much just popped out and right back in. Unfortunately, yesterday is the first time it popped out and stayed out for any length of time. It was only a minute or so, but it brought back some bad memories. It's sore as hell as I type this and I'm probably going to look into surgery now.

Keep in mind that I never really did anything other than wakeboarding to strengthen my shoulders over the years, so I'm sure that didn't help the situation.
Old    sbvfive            07-20-2004, 9:45 AM Reply   
Dave, sorry to hear about it...go for the surgery and we can sit on the couch and watch TV together for 3 months...haha...I am going to go crazy without being able to ride. Thansk for the kind words though, and definetely keep in touch. Post on this thread when you see a doctor....speaking of which, my biggest advice is to find a good surgeon. Mine puts me at ease, he has been the ortho on call at the X-Games, had done NFL players, wakeboarders, snowboarders, etc. Remenber the crash Brian Deegen had at Winter X in 2003 in the snow-motocross freestyle event where he broke both his wrists?? My ortho did that surgery. So I trust him alot and it really makes the whole experience easier to handle.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-20-2004, 11:04 AM Reply   
here's a shot of tony with his brace on. The one Matt was talking about.

Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-20-2004, 11:06 AM Reply   
Dave, that sounds brutal! That would have freaked me out.
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-20-2004, 11:10 AM Reply   
Ewww Dave that is painful just reading that
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-20-2004, 11:41 AM Reply   
Scott:

My son (Chad, who also posts here) dislocated his shoulder a year ago June. Sounds just like yours, left shoulder, torn labrum.

I knew that the shoulder needed to be popped back in, but I wasn't sure enough on the proceedure so I took him to the hospital, the doped him up, took xrays, and popped it back in.

A few days later he went to the orthopedic doctor, who ordered the MRI and all the appropriate stuff. It turns out that the injections to get the MRI fluid into the joint was the most painful part of the entire ordeal!

The prognosis was that the labrium was torn. The joint was described to us as being like a golf Tee: a very shallow cup that holds the ball end of the bone. Once you break the lip of the Tee off the bone can slide out real easy!

My son was approaching his senior year of high school and his final year of football. If they did surgery, he would be out of commission for at least four months, which would destroy his football season. The doctor said that doing what he did to dislocate it in the first place would certainly pop it out, anything that pulled on the arm was bad. Football, on the other hand, was more push, and he could get away with that. The doctor told him that he could wait, but when he got tired of the joint popping out he would get the surgery!

The doctor was right. He dislocated his shoulder several more times during the summer and fall. Any wakeboarding he did he limited his tricks to those that didn't require holding the handle with only his left hand (that really cut the trick list down!).

He didn't dislocate the shoulder wakeboarding, but other things did. Once he dislocated it turnin over in bed at night! Football practice was hard on it too. Fortunately, he was able to pop it back in by himself without any serious pain.

Once football season ended we scheduled the operation. We waited till we had one chance to go snowboarding, then had the shoulder done. The worst part of the operation was the 24 hour ice pack he had to wear, but it wasn't too bad.

A couple of months of physical therapy, andby May he was able to wakeboard again. By June he was pretty much back to where he had been before, and now he is landing even more tricks.

His shoulder seems as good as new now, but he thinks about it a lot. He says that he keeps a lighter grip on the handle so his grip lets go before his shoulder does. I have also noticed that he is a little bit more careful these days, I guess because he has figured out that he is not bullet proof after all.

Schedule the surgery for the first opportunity that fits in your schedule! Then relax, you will be fine

Rod
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       07-20-2004, 11:52 AM Reply   
Yeah, it was pretty creepy. Luckily, I had a barefoot suit on, so nobody could really see it. My then girlfriend (now wife) unzipped it and looked inside and almost puked. I guess it was pretty funky looking.

The hardest part was getting out of the water and on to the boat. Luckily my dad had one of those 70's style vans with the big captain's chairs, so I was able to kneel with my arm resting on the chair back all the way to the hospital.

Then sweet morphine took care of me from there! :-)
Old    sbvfive            07-20-2004, 11:57 AM Reply   
Rod, thank you so much...kind words mean alot now. I know that my injury is not a huge deal, and I am thankful that I am as healthy as I am. I know that it could have been worse, but even so the nerves are still there. Just nervous, ya know?? I faced the same decision, and since I don't play sports any more, other than boardsports, plus the fact that I live in Florida 10 months a year, there really is no time where I can have the surgery that won't take a chunk out or my riding. I am just getting over a blown out knee, and just getting all of my tricks back, so it sucks to go back to the couch and the wakeboard videos, but hopefully I'll get through. Thanks.
Old    sbvfive            07-21-2004, 10:24 AM Reply   
OK guys, 7:30 am, you all know where I'll be if ya need me. Thats right, in the OR. I will be online once I wake up, and once the flaming pain in my shoulder is eased away by some fine perscription drugs. So I'll let you all know how it went.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-21-2004, 2:04 PM Reply   
Dave, your latest situation sounds exactly like what happend to me 2 years ago. If you want to avoid surgery (if nothing is torn), then do some serious PT. It has helped me a lot. My shoulders would pop out about 10 times a year when playing competitive volleyball and also would come out when sleeping sometimes. With the PT I have done and keep doing, I have really tightened up the joints. Good luck and keep me posted on your progress. I know the pain you are feeling. Not fun.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       07-21-2004, 3:16 PM Reply   
I think I will do that since my insurance doesn't kick in until I've spent about $5000. Also, my shoulder feels really good compared to how bad it felt yesterday. It still feels super loose like it will pop out pretty easily, but the pain is way down now, so I'm stoked. I guess I'll actually have to start exercising!! :-)
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-21-2004, 6:23 PM Reply   
Scott - Glad you're getting taken care of sooner than later.
I sure do miss dealing with athletes in the training room and being part of the Evaluation & rehab of injuries.
Now the only thing I get to do is help in the surgeries.
Good luck...
Old    combat_wombat            07-21-2004, 9:47 PM Reply   
Wow...so many people with the same problems. I had no idea! I first dislocated mine wrestling in a tournament and then several more times before beginning rehab. Then, again after I finished my rehab wakeboarding. In my case, the humerous would pop out the front, and then slide down. It was impossible for me to reset it myself. Every time, my arm would be stuck above my head. Let me tell you how fun it is trying to get in a boat like that! Anyway, I had surgery in November last year, and have just recently finished all my PT. I am on the wrestling team here at Portland State, and have just started wrestling again about a month ago. My shoulder feels really good now, but you better believe I get those flashbacks every time I use it. It is always on my mind. You just gotta nurse it for awhile till you get your confidence back.

Don't rush anything, especially when you are young. You have to use that thing for the rest of your life! The reason why the odds of re-dislocation is so high for young people is because they simply are that much more active than older people and subject their bodies to more abuse more often than someone older.

Good choice on the surgery. I wish I hadn't waited and tried going just the PT route first. PT is great, and will definitely help out, but basically, if you're labrum is torn, PT isn't going to do jack for you.

Also, when you dislocate your shoulder, you almost ALWAYS stretch the capsule, and that is something that surgery will fix that PT simply isn't capable of. Good luck, and I can't stress it enough!!! Don't be in a hurry to get through your PT and get back on the water. Listen to your doctor and therapist and do your home exercises! 15 months and $10,000 later, my shoulder feels great! ha.

Sorry for the rant, I can just really identify with the situation, like many of you here can.
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-21-2004, 10:27 PM Reply   
YOu can always surf!!!
Old    jarrod_holley            07-22-2004, 10:40 AM Reply   
well... ive had 4 surgery's.. 2 on each... PT for a year and no boarding for 6 months and they STILL come out sometimes when i take a nasty fall.... i have gotten to where i can pop my own shoulder back in and ride again tho
Old    steve_chavez            07-22-2004, 4:56 PM Reply   
Hey scott, good luck with that surgury. It seems like u guys are pretty educated with shoulders. I messed mine up either working out or getting worked on a heal 360. Now whenever i rotate my shoulder 360 degrees it pops. Not like out or anything just somthin inside pops. It hurts like a bitch and i'v lost strength in it. i'm thinkin physical therapy. u guys got any idea what might be wrong? thanks
Old    jarrod_holley            07-22-2004, 8:31 PM Reply   
yes... same thing with mine... its a special type of injury.... they will do surgery or brace and therapy
Old    steve_chavez            07-22-2004, 10:38 PM Reply   
yea i'm hopin for just brace and therapy, not to down for surgery
Old    sbvfive            07-25-2004, 2:18 PM Reply   
OK Guys, the surgery is done....I woke up, heard that everything was OK from the surgeon, and went to sleep for a few days...haha. Hurts like crazy!!! I can't describe the post op pain. Far worse then anything I have experienced though. I am off all painkillers, by necessity, since I have to drive myself back to FL from CT in 3 days. I am in pretty good spirits though, and Overall, its been OK. I'll update when I get into rehab.