Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old    whitechocolate            01-19-2005, 7:03 AM Reply   
I have a small toolbox that I keep in my boat. It seems to have everything I need to disasemble my whole boat, LOL and then some. I was wondering if you guys have one in your boat and if you do how complete is it? It has come in handy more than a few times. Its nice having tools in the boat.

American wrench set, Metric wrench set.
American sockets, Metric sockets
Large flat head, Large phlips.
Stubby flat head, Stubby phlips.
adjustable screwdriver.
Cresent wrench.
Amp clamp/voltmeter
American and metric allen wrenches
Wire strippers and wire
butane soder and soder gun
large and small wire strippers and crimpers
Shrinktube razorknife, small crimp's and Electrical tape
Gloves.

I also keep some spare parts like extra, Impeller and Alternator belt and starter solonoid

(Message edited by whitechocolate on January 19, 2005)
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-19-2005, 7:45 AM Reply   
That's funny, I was gonna ask what everyone suggests as a toolbox, especially when you own a boat with metric and standard. How about a breaker bar that goes around the end of a socket wrench to help out with those stubborn bolts?? Like a piece of hard conduit pipe.

Prop puller??
Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       01-19-2005, 7:52 AM Reply   
Grant, nice kit, for sure. Have you thought about adding some spare spark plugs and a spark plug socket? How 'bout duct tape, zip ties and maybe a couple strips of leather or rubber (to wrap around leaky hoses and then zip tie tight)? Electrical wire. Maybe some stainless sheet metal screws. Prophylactics. Do you keep trailering-related tools in the truck? Bearings, hubs, grease, maybe your spare prop and puller, brake fluid, fix-a-flat, Hennessey.

That's a great tool box.
Old     (actiondcpd)      Join Date: Apr 2003       01-19-2005, 9:41 AM Reply   
Thanks for the post Grant. I was just about to start putting together a tool box for my boat. Great info.
Old    whitechocolate            01-19-2005, 9:42 AM Reply   
I also have this but dont bring it out on the boat, I figure I can always limp back to the trailer and take care of the prop on the trailer not on the water.

Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-19-2005, 10:08 AM Reply   
Dang you Grant now I need to put one together. I had a 78 mastercraft and had a huge tool box. Now I have a 2001 San and said to my self if she breaks down than I will just get towed in, and there is so much stuff on it that I would be dead in the water. But now I think about it about it a belt and impeller would be a good idea.
Old     (wake_pop)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-19-2005, 10:10 AM Reply   
Nice looking tool kit, Grant. Looks very thorough. I keep one of the "all in one" tool kits in mine plus a seperate tool box with spare parts, belt, prop puller, etc. I highly recommend keeping one of the portable battery jump boxes in the boat also for the occasional dead battery. Great $75 investment. I used to do jumper cables but pretty useless without another boat to hook em to.
Old    bobbymucic            01-19-2005, 10:25 AM Reply   
Nice tool kit Grant.

I've often camped out with the boat in very secluded spots (10 miles from a marina by water).

I carry lots of gear for the unexpected.

I carry:
1. spare prop, with wrench and puller
2. Tool kit from costco ($50 for a ton of tools in a plastic tri-fold case)
3. Tool box with knick-nacks
a. zip ties
b. voltmeter
c. various typed of tape and adhesive
e. misc. fuses, aligator clips and wiring
f. hammer
g. impeller

I also have a backpack where I stash:

1. Mask and snorkel
2. first aid kit
3. various otc drugs (minipacks)
4. marine radio
5. rope
6. 12 V q-beam spotlight

Finally, I carry a portable jumper, that has a flashlight, compressor, and strobe.

Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       01-19-2005, 10:30 AM Reply   
man, if i had a spare prop, i would definitely keep it in the boat. it depends on where you ride, though. it would really suck having to limp 15 miles down Lk Austin in the dark, knowing the spare is waiting in the truck.

as far as tools, i keep an all-in-one tool kit on board, a spare impeller, and a spare belt. also a big first-aid kit and a Q-beam.
Old     (sanger215guy)      Join Date: Oct 2004       01-19-2005, 11:17 AM Reply   
The only thing I have that seems to be missing is a pint of Southern comfort to calm me down after getting pissed that my boat broke.
Old     (sanger215guy)      Join Date: Oct 2004       01-19-2005, 11:17 AM Reply   
Nice kit Grant, and others
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-19-2005, 11:25 AM Reply   
Ace Gearwrench set.
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1285782

It seems to contain almost everything needed except a cheapo combo wire cutter/stripper. Spare impeller is always on board, I actually found three when I sold my old boat, I only thought there was one.

I also keep a big cresent wrench, puller, and spare prop in my truck at the lake during weekends.
Old     (wakejunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-19-2005, 12:22 PM Reply   
What no Carbon Fiber spare prop box or tool box. Grant, you're not slipping are you?

Chris
Get the Grip you Deserve
www.wakejunky.com
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       01-19-2005, 4:22 PM Reply   
Dumb question -

If you bust up the prop 10 miles from the trailer, can you actually take the prop off with the boat in the water? I'm with Grant, I would limp back to the marina and do it on the trailer. Maybe it speaks to my lack of aerobic conditioning.
Old     (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-19-2005, 5:20 PM Reply   
I don't have much to add. I also have a pair of shears to cut a binding off in an emergency. A razor blade/nife in case of a rope around the prop. pair of swimming goggles in case I had to go under to check something out. Extra fuses/light bulbs. Oh, and I'm all about cheap tools on the boat. Figure if one fell in the drink I'd not cry too much. Unless of course you were Peter and you're running with all Snap On! Extra Qt. of oil.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       01-19-2005, 6:28 PM Reply   
Keep tools in the boat, but no box...TOOL BAG! Picked it up at Home Depot, carries everything I need (wrenches, ratchets, sockets, drivers, multimeter, pliers, crimpers, tie wraps, tape, electrical terminals, etc...) and it's soft (read easy on the boat).
Old     (matt_ostmeyer)      Join Date: Mar 2003       01-19-2005, 6:49 PM Reply   
For the prop question... Since my last harsh underwater adventure... I've always thought that it would be a good idea to keep a snorkel with a long hose and some good rope in the boat... the snorkel to breathe underwater and the rope to tie around the prop/knife/puller whatever you've got under the water. I've just been too lazy to get it together... this post gets me all fired up to get my boy-scout-style-prepared-for-the-worst-possible-scenario-bad-a$$-MacGyver-super-fix-it-tool-box together and in the boat before the ice melts!!!
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       01-19-2005, 6:54 PM Reply   
I buy the "el cheapo" kit from WestMarine.com for like $20 and after a few years it's a real mess. Toss it in the can and repeat.

As a proper redneck my overgrown truck always has a ton of tools in the toolbox when I get back to the ramp, but I try to keep enough to cover the basics in the boat.

I also keep and extra perfect pass paddle wheel & axel in the boat as I continually find ways to wipe these out. Probably should keep an extra impeller on board but I've seen it changed out on my boat and it did not look very fun.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       01-19-2005, 8:34 PM Reply   
i've changed a prop on the water before - it's not that bad. beach or move to shallow water - it's easier to work if you don't have to tread water, and if you drop something you've got some chance of finding it. i carry a mask & snorkel too, which helps when messing with anything under the boat. i also have a long-handled paddle which comes in handy now & then.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-19-2005, 9:08 PM Reply   
Skiing primarily in the delta changing the prop in the water is not advisable. Anything dropped in the mud is usually lost forever. Fully outfitted with scuba gear it took me almost an hour to find a pair of sunglasses and I knew almost exactly where they were. Even my high powered diving light was useless in the delta soup, it's like old engine oil about two feet from the ground.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       01-20-2005, 7:00 AM Reply   
gross. :-)
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-20-2005, 2:17 PM Reply   
grant were did you get that set up, I do need to invest in something like that!
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-20-2005, 2:26 PM Reply   
grant were did you get that set up, I do need to invest in something like that (prop bag etc)!
Old     (socaldave)      Join Date: May 2002       01-20-2005, 2:41 PM Reply   
Someone mentioned first-aid supplies...best investment we made was the $30 kit from Costco.

Has just about everything in there (meds, tapes, band-aids, wraps, scissors etc). Even cold packs (the kind you "pop" to activate).

Highly recommended purchase.
Old    whitechocolate            01-20-2005, 3:24 PM Reply   
Kenny; I bought that Prop bag from my local dealer, your profile says sac so try Hammer's. I take it you have a OJ on your Sanger
Oj makes a prop/bag it's called "Just in Case"
It comes with case and prop puller and wrench. I think its like $150 buck's My case is a ACME case it was $150 , comes with case prop puller and wrench Prop nut and cotter pin
Old     (sea_ray_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-20-2005, 3:44 PM Reply   
A magnet. I carry one and it's great for getting things dropped. We found a chain saw once with it. Wondered later wtf the saw was doing there to begin with-- hopefully not a massacre!
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-20-2005, 4:18 PM Reply   
thanks I will call them or stop by..
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-20-2005, 4:28 PM Reply   
no luck with Hammers....
Old     (sanger215guy)      Join Date: Oct 2004       01-20-2005, 7:45 PM Reply   
Hate to say this but E-Bay gets killer deals on 4 blade OJ props.
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       01-22-2005, 11:07 AM Reply   
What a dissappointment Grant! I expected something with a little more"BLING"to it.
Shame on you.
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-09-2005, 12:56 PM Reply   
Just thought I would share this with the fellas. I got sick of carrying my metal tool box every weekend to the lake to put on the boat. I was SEARS last night and saw this for $80.00. Has metric and standard size wrenches and sockets, scredrivers, circuit tester, pliers, etc and pretty cool carrying case that I can probably fit a set of jumper cables in. I can take all of my electrical stuff out of my old box and put in the case also. Anyway just thought I would share with you.