Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (smora44)      Join Date: Feb 2014       02-24-2014, 9:05 PM Reply   
Hi guys,

I know this is a very hard comparison and comes down to each person and how the individually feel about each boat, but I'm in the market for a new boat and just narrowed down and finished testing the Malibu 24 MXZ, Nautique G25, and Mastercraft X46. They are all amazing boats, and it has become very difficult to make the decision. I live in Miami so the boat would be used down here for day cruising, wake boarding, and wake surfing, also some of the family does do slalom. I have found that the MC is more comfortable and more luxurious I think the build quality is superior on that boat but driving all three they are equally good boats. None of us are master wake boarders its mostly recreational and think that the differences on wakes etc are not important, but it would be nice to know which would handle a skier easier than the other and which is a better all around boat.

Thanks!
Old     (supersonicmi)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-24-2014, 10:16 PM Reply   
I very much doubt that any of these boats will ski well... simply speaking they are not made to ski behind. With that said, my first advice would be to test them and go ski behind each. If you can't do that, the other things to consider are hull and weight. I cannot comment on the Hull impacts, but all else equal the heavier the boat, the more water it will displace as it moves through it and therefore the worse it will likely ski. Check my facts, but the G25 is the heaviest @ 5900 lbs, x46 @ 5300 lbs and the 24MXZ @ 4900 lbs. good luck
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-25-2014, 6:05 AM Reply   
If I was in your situation I would probably go with the MC x46 for the sole fact that the hull will have a V that continues all the way to the rear of the hull. This will be a huge benefit when riding in rough water as it will help the boat cut through the waves. The G and the MXZ have flater hulls that extend to the rear and won't handle the chop as well at the X46. It's doesn't matter how heavy they are the hull decides how it will Ride in rough water.

When it comes to the wakeboard wake, the G would win over these two hands down but since you said you weren't a pro any of these wakes will be great for you and your family. And i would think the surf wake on all three boats is pretty close to being the same.

When purchasing our last boat, one of the requirements was a good rough water ride and after demoing tons of boats we found that the MC handles the rough water the best and fit our needs perfect. It's all personal preference but I would look at what each saltwater series offers for the boat as this was another big thing to look at because in 2012 when we purchased our x45 the MC saltwater series was alittle better than what nautiques and Malibu were offering. I went from a Malibu VLX to a MC x45 and I was dead set on a new Malibu. But was disappointed in water they offered for a saltwater series boat. Hope this helps
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       02-25-2014, 9:38 AM Reply   
You gotta be rich to throw a 130K+ boat is the salt to rot. With that kind of cash buy one of each.

Like said above all 3 are gonna be very poor for skiing.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-25-2014, 1:49 PM Reply   
If the OP does want to do the occasional slalom but is looking for a bigger boat, perhaps give the X-30 a look? While not a slalom boat it's wake mellows out pretty nice at higher speeds. It won't be quite as good for the larger waters as the 25 footers. And Toddwake approves of MC's so it has that going for it too.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-25-2014, 2:03 PM Reply   
This thread is a perfect example of why this site is useless if you have any real questions on boats.
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-25-2014, 3:15 PM Reply   
If you can afford a brand new G25, you can afford to get this as a second boat for skiing - then you will have the best of both worlds http://www.reachoo.com/ads/196333023
but I am afraid the bling factor is just not there, so never mind. LOL

Last edited by rexlex01; 02-25-2014 at 3:17 PM.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-25-2014, 5:51 PM Reply   
I am not a huge fan of the X46 interior layout but I think it may be the best option for your use. It should have a wakeplate so while the wake will never be good for slalom it is likely the best option of those three. Both the G and X46 should have really good salt water series options. I really like the idea of the X30. It is a little smaller than the others but like someone else mentioned would be a very versatile boat and more than capable for an beginner/intermediate wakeboarder or surfer. It doesn't sound like it is a big factor but it should also be far less than the other 3 options. Especially the X46 and G25..
Old     (smora44)      Join Date: Feb 2014       02-25-2014, 6:24 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the input it seems that everyone here agrees that MC would work best for what I'm looking for.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-25-2014, 6:30 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by smora44 View Post
Thanks for all the input it seems that everyone here agrees that MC would work best for what I'm looking for.
Only you can really make the decision which boat is correct for you. The fact of the matter is all three boats are amazing machines and you will have a blast no matter which you choose.
Old     (Captain_obvious)      Join Date: Jan 2014       02-25-2014, 6:49 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bftskir View Post
Mastercraft...for those who just don't know yet.
Sanger.... for those who just want to feel relevant.

Now back to thread topic lets just narrow it down to 2 boats here because hollow Malibu in rough water is no bueno. You already mentioned a great fact that the build quality is superior in the x46 so lets look at some facts...all that anodized aluminum will stay looking brand new in an environment like south Florida for years down the road, the interior layout is definitely family oriented and the bow is the same size as the x55, 14 degree deadrise at the rear and attitude adjustment plate will cut through the chop just fine and also carve a sharp turn similar to an x30, and MCs saltwater series has been proven for years. Than you have the sleek look of the x46s lines compare to g25s barge look. Sure g25 will have more freeboard but gaudy looking on the water. Seriously though it may sound crazy but demo both and pick what ever boat you and the family are more comfortable in. Give Nautiques of Miami a chance to convince you toward the g25 and than go demo the 46 with South Florida Mastercraft.
Old     (smora44)      Join Date: Feb 2014       02-25-2014, 7:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_obvious View Post
Sanger.... for those who just want to feel relevant.

Now back to thread topic lets just narrow it down to 2 boats here because hollow Malibu in rough water is no bueno. You already mentioned a great fact that the build quality is superior in the x46 so lets look at some facts...all that anodized aluminum will stay looking brand new in an environment like south Florida for years down the road, the interior layout is definitely family oriented and the bow is the same size as the x55, 14 degree deadrise at the rear and attitude adjustment plate will cut through the chop just fine and also carve a sharp turn similar to an x30, and MCs saltwater series has been proven for years. Than you have the sleek look of the x46s lines compare to g25s barge look. Sure g25 will have more freeboard but gaudy looking on the water. Seriously though it may sound crazy but demo both and pick what ever boat you and the family are more comfortable in. Give Nautiques of Miami a chance to convince you toward the g25 and than go demo the 46 with South Florida Mastercraft.

What do you think about the upgrades engines I tried the mastercraft with the 430hp engine and the nautique with the 450hp, but nautique offered a boat with the 550hp engine for about 5k more than the other boat. I asked MC about their larger engine too but they said they don't make it for the salt water series. I never asked nautique about that though. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old     (Captain_obvious)      Join Date: Jan 2014       02-25-2014, 7:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by smora44 View Post
What do you think about the upgrades engines I tried the mastercraft with the 430hp engine and the nautique with the 450hp, but nautique offered a boat with the 550hp engine for about 5k more than the other boat. I asked MC about their larger engine too but they said they don't make it for the salt water series. I never asked nautique about that though. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In my opinion the 6.2l 430hp ilmor in the x46 does just fine with auto launch getting on plane and just overall performance while running on 87octane. I'm assuming you demoed an engine that hasn't been broken in either,trust me they will "wake up" a bit after you put some hours on it. The ilmor 7.4l 522hp is awesome but not closed cooled yet so its not an option. pcms 550hp is supercharged so you will have too worry about more moving parts and will drink some 93 octane gas. Just keep in mind these are towboats and over 5k lbs dry weight so will not be the fastest on the water.