Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (hyperlite291)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-24-2017, 11:27 PM Reply   
Obviously boat wakeboarding has gone downhill massively, but is cable wakeboarding on the decline also?

I think cable wakeboarding has surpassed the amount of boat riders for sure. New cables seem to be popping up around the US and obviously they are booming in Europe. I think cable is the future.

I was wondering what everyone elses thoughts are?
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-25-2017, 6:26 AM Reply   
I think the "new cables seem to be popping up" is your answer. Cables make wakeboarding more accessible to everyone. It costs less than renting a pull behind the boat. And IMO it's a lot easier to get up the first time on the cable.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       09-25-2017, 7:21 AM Reply   
definitely makes the sport more accessible. but I don't think it will ever replace a day on the water with your friends.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-25-2017, 7:38 AM Reply   
I think everything is slowing down around water sports with maybe with the exception of wakesurfing. Yes, we have more cables now but they are mostly full of little kids (at least in my area) as it gives them something to do after school. In other words, no core riding presence of teenagers and 20 somethings. We just had a major cable contest in our area of Dallas, TX with people like JB O'Neill and hardly anybody was there to watch it. That makes me sad. I'm not sure how that changes, but I would say both cable and boat wakeboarding are in decline.
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-25-2017, 9:32 AM Reply   
I used to love Cowtown wake park in Fort Worth. It closed I think two years ago. There was some flooding that closed them for a couple of months and they just never re-opened. It was supposed to re-open under new ownership last year but that never happened. My alternatives for cable are the mini cable system at Mastercraft's private lake, two absurdly expensive and full of youngsters Hyrdous parks in the north Dallas suburbs, or making an hour-long trek to Cresson for their wake park. I just bit the bullet and bought an old Ski Nautique 2001 instead. I love being back behind a boat wake, but I do miss the social aspect of the cable park. There's a lot more of a large community feel.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-25-2017, 9:33 AM Reply   
I see no evidence of OWC slowing down at all. And I would disagree with the notion that you can't spend a day on the water with your friends at a cable.