Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through December 22, 2005

Old     (bkoz)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-14-2005, 11:41 AM Reply   
Hi, first post here but im sure i'll making many more from now on. Im looking at buying a older boat as thats all I can afford at this time. Ive allways owned jet boats but now my kids are getting to the ages (I have a 4,5 and 7 year olds) were I was learning to ski so id like to get something for that plus wakeboarding. Me and my wife wakeboard but it sucks behind a jet plus I still ski as much as possible. I grew up surfing but now live in an aria (Redding CA.)with some real good lakes but no ocean so id like to mabey get into wakesurfing as well. Ok enough rambling..... Looking at whats available in my price range whats best? 85-89 Malibu Skier, 86-89 Supra TSM6, early 90's Ski Sanger (found 2 in my price range) and 85-89 Mastercraft 190. These are my choices so far, whats the best all around boat out of these? Hopefully i'll be able to upgrade to a newer boat in a few years but right now I just dont want a payment, thanks for any input!!!
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       12-14-2005, 12:12 PM Reply   
I would look at either the MC190 or the CC 2001.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       12-14-2005, 12:14 PM Reply   
Best wake would prob be produced by a late 80s 2001 Nautique. Very samll boat though. Maybe not a great family boat.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-14-2005, 12:29 PM Reply   
I guess depending on what are you gonna be using it for.

If more for wakeboarding...go for the CC2001

If more for skiing...go for the MC190

I'm sure they are all pretty good boats.
Old     (bkoz)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-15-2005, 12:33 PM Reply   
Thanks for the input. I'll be using the boat mostly for family water sports and a little cruising on my local lake. Guess im looking for the best all around boat for the money. The Supra is a 21' so im assuming it would have the most room and possibly the smoother ride? Are the Malibu's a decent riding boat?
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-15-2005, 12:59 PM Reply   
The Malibu skiers were notorous for rotting, and frankly are completely diffrent boats from what they make now.

Like Jrod said the 2001 is the best wake for boarding. The MC and Sanger would be nice boats for the price. I had a friend that had a sanger DX with over a thousand hours that was pretty solid. Not sure about the Supra. They sold a bunch of TSM6's back in the day, but I don't see to many now. Is there a reason?
Old     (bkoz)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-15-2005, 1:38 PM Reply   
Thanks for the input Jeff. Ive actualy been looking at a Supra TSM6 in really good condition and im just not sure if they're good boats or not? Id really like to buy this one as its got everything I want to start out except its got a extended pylon instead of a tower but I can change that later. Lots of mid to late 80's Malibu's out there in my price range but after hearing what you said im a little hesitant now. Any other imput would be great as im gonna be bying something in the next couple of weeks.
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       12-15-2005, 3:00 PM Reply   
Make sure that you get into the floor to see if you can find any dryrot on any of the boats you look at. Look at the engine mounts everything you can think of. Have the motor checked for compression. I would stay away from Malibu from about 92 and older and I have a Malibu now.

I'm not sure how much you are looking at to spend but if you can try and get an open bow because of the size of family you have. You might have to go early 90's for that and that might be more that you want to spend.

Be very careful of the rotting floor or the good deal could turn bad on you.
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       12-15-2005, 4:39 PM Reply   
Mastercraft made the tri-star in the late 80's to early 90's. Look for a bow rider. You can buy them cheaper than the 190, but they aren't as good for slalom as the 190. They do make a better wakeboard boat and have more room than a typical tournament boat.
Check out the MC bulletin board at
www.tmcowners.com
Nautiques and Mastercrafts will hold their value better than any others IMHO.