Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 04, 2003

Old    mtbmudmachine            02-10-2003, 11:25 AM Reply   
I am thinking of Re-makeing My trunk, I have 3 large amp's and I want to mount and display them on the unuderside of the Trunk. It would have to be some what Water tight. With Air vents using flexiable tubes so the amps could get cool air. It would be like a Box or Coffin inserted into the Trunk! so my trunk space is not effected. I was wondering If anyone here knows anyone who has done somthing like this or can make what Im talking about. I was first thinking of having somthing made from Fiberglass and thern re-upolestred to match the stock interior. It would need to be storng enough to stand on ect It's a tall order. Any Ideas or help would be great.
Below is a photo of the trunk The amps would be mounted where you see the cargo net
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-11-2003, 1:59 PM Reply   
this the type of thing your looking for?

http://www.qlogic.ws/2003/home/
Look under enclosures, then amp racks

or how about
http://www.zebaudio.com/caraudio/q-logic_amp_racks.html

KG

(Message edited by wakescene on February 11, 2003)

(Message edited by wakescene on February 11, 2003)
Old    mtbmudmachine            02-11-2003, 2:08 PM Reply   
I saw the Amp Racks Listed on the Link Below and I dont undersatnd How they work??. What I think is going to have to happen is the Trunk is going to have to be Re-maid in Aluminum and then re-cover in the stock Vynle, I dont know if its going to be worth the Hassle Im still looking into it.
Old     (pjdave)      Join Date: Oct 2002       02-11-2003, 11:09 PM Reply   
Im not sure what your talking about is the box going to be attached to the lid or sit in the bottom of the locker, or are you trying to make a completely new lid
Old    robw            02-12-2003, 5:15 AM Reply   
Can I have the cargo net?
Old    mtbmudmachine            02-12-2003, 6:40 AM Reply   
Imagin The Amps mounted INTO the back side of the trunk. In a sealed box flush mounted. So the trunk would be hallowed out and a Amp box installed into the trunk then it would be sealed
Old    kschroeder            02-12-2003, 7:06 AM Reply   
Are you triing to mount them on the floor facing up or on the wall facing toward the back of the boat? Either way I would think that you could just make a false wall/bottom and re-inforce it underneath if you want to stand on it. You could carpet the whole piece with the same carpet inside your boat then just cut out the section you wish to be visible and cover it with plexiglass. How wet of an area is that back there? From other Air's I have been on I thought that was pretty dry.

(Message edited by kschroeder on February 12, 2003)
Old    kschroeder            02-12-2003, 7:34 AM Reply   
Here's basically what I'm getting at:
Old    mtbmudmachine            02-12-2003, 10:57 AM Reply   
Ken Thank's for taking the time to make somthing like you did. What I want to do is Somthing like you drew up But mout it on the UNDESIDE of the "trunk lid" like where you see the Cargo Net and Rob "Yea You can have the Cargo net
Old    kschroeder            02-12-2003, 7:42 PM Reply   
Ah now I see.. I think your biggest problem there is going to be having room for a functional latch once you get something under there.
Old     (pjdave)      Join Date: Oct 2002       02-12-2003, 10:34 PM Reply   
Yeah now i know what your getting at. Not an easy task. The only thing I can think of is making a new lid out of timber with braces in it then sealing it with fibreglass and re trimming the top to match the original lid, Make it exactly the same with a hollowed out section for the amps. At least youve got your original lid to put back on while you build it or when selling time comes
Old    ratm3706            02-13-2003, 4:21 AM Reply   
The only problem with mounting all of your amps to the under side is they are not going to cool half as effiecently as they were designed to. Instead of the heat rising off of the heat sink, it is going to just convection. you are going to have to put a serious fan system in to keep your amps from overheating.
Old     (wakejunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-13-2003, 7:51 AM Reply   
Here's a cool idea. Make an enclosure out of 1/4" clear plexiglass that would fully enclose the amps. Then put vent holes on one end and cooling fans on the other. Then you can create a positive air flow through the box.
You do have to keep in mind that there is going to be moisture there from anything wet being put into the trunk so, having fully exposed amps might be a problem from the dampness as well as anything dripping on them.

Chris
get the grip you deserve
www.wakejunky.com/gatorgrip

Also for sale
http://home.surewest.net/cfoye/96SportNautique/96SportNautique.htm
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-13-2003, 8:27 AM Reply   
you could use another blower and some hoses to pull air through it, run it out the back with the rest of the bilge blow-out. but i think Chris is right about the moisture. even sealed, condensation will build up in it.
Old    ridinhigh            02-13-2003, 12:44 PM Reply   
Grant, I was looking at the same thing for a while before I decided against it. My biggest concern was that the weight of the amps would quickly deteriorate whatever I made. I was going to epoxy the heck out of a piece of 1/2" fiberglass to the bottom of the truck lid and then mount the amps on it. Then I would create an enclosure out of 1/2" plexiglas with an opening at each end to allow for a squirrel cage type fan. One fan blowing in and one fan blowing out. I was then going to figure out how to run cooling ducts to the entrance and exit sides of the box. Seemed a little tough to do and I wasn't willing to give up my trunk space.
Old    mtbmudmachine            02-13-2003, 4:13 PM Reply   
The trunk could be copyed using Aluminum. The amps would be made to fit into there own box inside trunk lid and have a plexy glass window so you could see them The window would have a doubble O-ring to keep water from comming in I would have 2 tubes going into the Amp box/Trunk lid. The tubes would be like heater hose going into the Amp box/trunk lid. I would have a blower attached to the hose blowing cool air in The Rca's and speaker wires would be inside this tube. The other tube would be a Hot air output with a blower sucking "Just like in your Boat" this tube would also hold the Power and kick on lead's Im pretty sure I could keep water out. Im sure moisture would slowy creep it's way into the Amp box. The hot amps would draw moisture in???