Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeskating

Old    lukem            06-02-2003, 5:58 PM Reply   
i have heard of people breaking or cracking the wakeboards, i was wondering if anyone has broke a wakeskate or cracked one.
Old     (liquidforce)      Join Date: Apr 2003       06-02-2003, 11:32 PM Reply   
Yea i did, first day on a two week vacation. The plys on my cassette came apart. luckily they sent me a new one for free. I think i was to big so they send a bigger size.
Old    thinair            06-03-2003, 4:04 PM Reply   
Ya, cassettes 3ds don't last very long, especially if you hit rails with it.
Old    lukem            06-03-2003, 6:26 PM Reply   
foammesh, how long are you talking, like if you dont hit rails and just sold my original and got a 3d, well it is on its way i mean
Old    thinair            06-04-2003, 3:31 PM Reply   
I only rode wake with my last one(exept a couple times) and it made it around 6 months.
Old    idiot            06-04-2003, 8:42 PM Reply   
ya ive broken a wakeskate... I was shortlining... about 10 ft behind the boat and some JackA$$ in the boat threw a wakeboard at me... and being that I was not looking at the boat ran over it and shattered my skate into pieces... also since I fell and I was on the short line the kid 20 ft behind me ran my a$$ over... I was a very unhappy camper to say the least.... and no wakeskate will last while sliding it... as long as its made of wood...

Peace
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-05-2003, 5:27 AM Reply   
Don't get discouraged Luke. Most Cassettes last MUCH longer than 6 months - unless ofcourse, if you're hitting sliders or docks. The Concave Cassette is also much sturdier than the flat deck.
Old    thinair            06-05-2003, 6:42 PM Reply   
I disagree with the concaves are much sturdier than the flat deck. My flat decks have lasted my friends and I longer the the 3Ds have. It isn't just me, I have 5 guys that I wakeskate with that have had the same experiences as me. The 3Ds don't last them a month. If you are just getting into it though the 3D should last you a year, I don't mean to discourage you, I like the way they ride a lot.
Old    gvw686            06-06-2003, 8:32 AM Reply   
iv broken 2 skates in about 2 weeks already man there easy 2 break, it mite b bc they were fiberglass n i was slidin the them, but im gettin some westcoast sk8s in next week so itll b sweet again
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-06-2003, 9:27 AM Reply   
Foam, how are these guys trashing their skates in a month? You've got to be talking sliding.
Greg, I heard the fiberglass Hyperlite's are tough. What up?
Old    thinair            06-06-2003, 7:17 PM Reply   
Ya rails and D-ups. Scratch a board all up on sketchy rails and water gets in=broken board.
Old    gvw686            06-07-2003, 1:24 PM Reply   
o ya were slidin em but breakin in like a week or so is quick, and it didnt break on the slider it broke when i did like 1 of them runnin jumpin off a dock starts, its not the new hyperlites it was a core, but we got some new wood decks now so itll b sweet thell b a lot harder to break
Old     (wannagowakin)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-25-2003, 12:36 PM Reply   
will a flat cassette break that easily w/ an occassional slide?
Old    todd_g            11-05-2003, 8:42 PM Reply   
i broke a old hyperlite wakeskate on a huge wakejump. It broke right in half
Old    dropzero            11-06-2003, 3:37 PM Reply   
Todd, you also broke a Liquid Force Cassette 41 on a huge wake jump...
Old    motoxxx02            01-19-2004, 7:39 PM Reply   
Im confused ? how long does it take for water to get into a wood cassette to make it break ?
Old    huckleberry            01-21-2004, 7:54 PM Reply   
I've got a Obrien Triffic w/ that Impact Base. Will that help keep the water from getting inside when sliding?
Old    wakeskate247            01-21-2004, 8:31 PM Reply   
if its wood water WILL get in bc thats what wood does, it absorbs water and the water then breaks away the glue holding the plys together and that causes the board to break, so a wood deck will eventually break, just depends how much damage you do to it. I havent heard of one of the new Hyperlite boards breaking but who knows, a pro could break just about any kinda board, but the average wakeskater probly wont break one.
Old    afxsguy            05-25-2004, 9:31 AM Reply   
what if you clear coat the heck out of it to protect water from getting in? i know sliding rails and stuff will wear it down, but water shouldnt get in if the wood is protected right.
Old    wakeskate247            05-26-2004, 2:37 PM Reply   
thats right but the screw holes for the fins is your biggest concern, the screws will strip the protectant out and then water will seep in
the only other thing i could think of is to put a plastic layer in the screw holes for your fins