Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 06, 2004

Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       06-08-2004, 6:22 AM Reply   
I got pulled over this weekend by the water pigs and they gave flack about wakesurfing. They proceeded to tell me that I was breaking the law. I asked the guy what was my violation. He told me "wreckless endangerment". I was wondering if wakesurfing was legal.
Old     (craig_riddle)      Join Date: Apr 2003       06-08-2004, 6:52 AM Reply   
here's what one site has to say about it
http://www.wakesurfinghotline.com/

Notice Section B.2

Please note this is not a law as of right now. This is an Act that the NASBLA is pushing onto each state to pass as a State Law.

General: This Act shall apply on all waters within the jurisdiction of this state.

Section A. (Definitions.) As used in this Act:

1. "Operate" means to navigate or otherwise use a motorboat with engine(s) running.

2. "Motorboat" means any vessel not more than 65 feet in length propelled by machinery whether or not such machinery is the principal source of propulsion.

3. "Tow Rope" means a rope that connects the water-skier or wakeboarder to a motorboat. Also known as "tow line."

Section B. (Regulations for safe towing practices.)

1. No person shall operate a motorboat with a person sitting, riding, or hanging onto a swim platform or swim ladder attached to the motorboat.

2. No person shall operate a motorboat, using a tow rope of 20 feet or less, when towing a person on waterskis or other devices.

Section C. (Penalties)

Any person who violates any provision of this Act shall States may insert consistent with individual State laws/policies.

The NASBLA is the National Association of State Boating Law Administrators. The association represents the boating authorities of all 50 states and the U.S. territories.
Old     (wiltok)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-08-2004, 8:12 AM Reply   
OK - here is what you do. Take a rope that is 30 feet long, coil it to your wakesurfing length and zip tie it. If you are pulled over - you are using a rope over 20 feet, but just not using all the rope.

p.s. I'll call you from the slammer... :-)
Old     (flashalexb)      Join Date: May 2004       06-08-2004, 9:45 AM Reply   
Thats a good one keith. lol
Old    ag4ever            06-08-2004, 12:39 PM Reply   
That is what i was thinking. heck, if you have the rope coiled on the rear deck, and handle laying there next to it, then you are still legal. The rope is over 20', and you are not actually using a rope when the handle is not in your hands. They say nothing about proximity to boat, just can't be holding onto it.

I would have asked exactly how was it wreckless endangerment.
Old     (craig_riddle)      Join Date: Apr 2003       06-08-2004, 12:43 PM Reply   
I'm having a hard time seeing the problem as long as you use a coast gaurd approved Life Vest. Does anybody know of an incident of CO Poisoning on a Wakesurfer? I think people (not people here but the people making and/or enforcing the laws) are confusing wakesurfing with teaksurfing.
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-08-2004, 1:33 PM Reply   
I was at the pro stop in Reno over the weekend...the Nevada Water Cops had a booth promoting water safety. They were giving away free stuff, so I stopped by, and to pass the time asked them, "So is wakesurfing legal?"

Their eyes glassed over and they robotically replied, "You mean teak surfing?"

I said, "No, wakesurfing." and proceeded to explain the sport.

The one mustached one (who am I kidding, they both had staches) said, "Well, I'm sure that will be banned too."

I then asked if it would be different if the exhaust came out the sides (a la the Centurion Side Swipe system). They wanted no part of that...

Nice to hear that the authorities are open-minded and know what they're talking about.
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-08-2004, 2:44 PM Reply   
they are trying to banned everything
Old     (alo)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-08-2004, 4:48 PM Reply   
toolfan,
what kind of boat were you surfing behind?
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-08-2004, 8:58 PM Reply   
Try this link
http://www.uscgboating.org/news/boatingview.aspx?id=22
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       06-09-2004, 6:10 AM Reply   
2004 SANTE. The water pigs even seemed alittle ignorant about the fuctionality of an inboard boat. He told me that it would be easy to fall and get chopped up by the prop. I told him that I had better chance of getting attacked by a killer whale. Another example of his ignorance was the fact that he couldnt tell if my vest USGC approved. I was wearing a Jetpilot A10 Attack vest and he said "atleast you are wearing vest".

Maybe Farvra will find a new job.
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-09-2004, 8:42 AM Reply   
"I told him that I had better chance of getting attacked by a killer whale."

I bet he liked that. I did!

Anyway, regarding the 20 ft. rope...that should be a problem if you tie off to the tower, right?. Hell, maybe they'll start making towers with tow points well ahead of the cockpit.

My main question is: WHO THE HELL IS TRYING TO BAN WAKESURFING AND WHY? Where is this pressure coming from? Has anyone ever even been injured wakesurfing? It seems to me that it's a hell of a lot safer than wakeboarding. "Oh, you're injured? Try wakesurfing." "Oh, you're scared of high speeds? Try wakesurfing."

Doesn't there have to be a problem before people start trying to legislate a solution? What is the supposed problem? Does anyone know?
Old     (craig_riddle)      Join Date: Apr 2003       06-09-2004, 9:18 AM Reply   
Q: "What is the supposed problem? Does anyone know?"

A: Ignorance - People mistakenly associating all the cases of people dying teaksurfing without vests to wakesurfing with a vest.

Either we need to educate the people making the laws or they need to educate us. One of us must be missing out on something important in the argument. We should track down a list of people and associations who have a say in this and write them letters explaining our side and asking if they can explain thiers.
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-09-2004, 9:30 AM Reply   
That doesn't really explain the 20-foot rope rule since there is no rope in teak surfing. It seems that is carefully targeted at wakesurfing.

My fear is that the real motivating force behind this is a bunch or waterskiers and/or fishermen who will use any excuse to get rid of people with whom they would otherwise have to share the lake. If that's the case, no amount of reasoning will change their minds and we can only hope that the voice of wakesurfers can be as loud as theirs in the ears of those who would actually make the decisions.
Old     (boatingchick)      Join Date: May 2004       06-09-2004, 9:33 AM Reply   
i'm new at this kind of stuff...but what is the difference from teaksurfing and wakesurfing. i know what wakesurfing is but i haven't got the slightest idea what teaksurfing is.
Old     (craig_riddle)      Join Date: Apr 2003       06-09-2004, 9:35 AM Reply   
I beleive the rope length has to do with the CO from the engine that close behind the boat.
Old     (craig_riddle)      Join Date: Apr 2003       06-09-2004, 9:37 AM Reply   
Wendi - teaksurfing is hanging onto the swim platform and getting dragged around. People die doing this because they are body surfing and can't really do that with a life vest. They pass out from the CO behind the boat and drown.
Old     (patrick)      Join Date: Apr 2003       06-09-2004, 10:11 AM Reply   
There has to be some intake of CO when wakesurfing, why else would Centurion (the biggest promoter of wakesurfing) create side exhausts for some of their new boats? I know they didn't do this to promote teaksurfing... Anyways, I'm not sure how effective the side exhausts would be unless you can flip a switch and send the CO on the opposite side of the surfer. Centurion people might have some answers for this since it's targeting what they're promoting.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-09-2004, 10:39 AM Reply   
Good points. Here we are, a good portion of the wakeboarding/surfing community and has anyone EVER heard of someone getting seriously injured or intoxicated (carbon monoxide ) from wakesurfing?

"2. No person shall operate a motorboat, using a tow rope of 20 feet or less, when towing a person on waterskis or other devices."
So, I can barefoot on any length of rope?
What about barefoot booms?...with pigtails(handles)?
Maybe, we need to inform Barefoot International and Straight Line that these laws may affect them eventually.
Old     (wiltok)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-09-2004, 11:35 AM Reply   
David,

Good call on the barefoot boom - I just bought one last week. I'm sure BI and SL would be an ally in this fight.