Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2006

Old     (leykis1o1)      Join Date: May 2005       10-17-2006, 5:07 PM Reply   
Read these e-mails i was forwarded ..what do you think..will it happen??

To everyone receiving this email

Nine days ago, I sent this email below to Curtis Weeks , GM of the Monterey County Water Resources Agency and as of 5:30 pm Friday, Oct. 13, 2006 I have received no response. I am not at all surprised. In more than 30 years of dealing with the Monterey County Water Agency, I learned many years ago, that when you ask a question requiring an honest answer and that honest answer may or will jeopardize the Agency’s agenda, never expect an answer. Instead, expect to be ignored.

There is a chain of emails below, which I began Oct 2, 2006 when it became very clear to me that the Agency’s representative, Bob Meyer s, was not putting out truthful and accurate information to the public, from the Agency, regarding the future lake levels of Nacimiento in 2007-2008, during the spillway modification construction project.

As can be seen below, Curtis Weeks responded to my Oct 2, 2006 email inquiring about the lake level required at the start of construction on the spillway modification, with a rather vague and less then concise answer. He said they have a “strategy to keep the lake between 760 and 770 msl”, but goes on to “admit” that to complete the project, an elevation of 750’ msl will be required.

This project isn’t being undertaken based on strategy; it’s a massive construction job that requires the demolition of at least 1000 sq. yards of concrete. Which will be taken by cutting off the top of the Nacimiento Spill way as it exists today by more than ten feet deep and the length of over 200 ft.
This project has cost millions in engineering and it involves a dam and the safety of the dam and the thousands of people that live down stream. Every single part of this project is based on sound engineering, not strategy.

Curtis Weeks knows this is true and he also knows the rest of the story, but he doesn’t want the public to know until it’s absolutely impossible to hide it any longer.

Typically, that’s when they say, well we did our best, we really didn’t want to drain the lake but those people at the State are going to make us and we just don’t have any choice.

I have listened to this method of telling it like it is, after it’s too late to plan for it, (I am not saying or advocating stopping it) I am saying plan for it. For over 30 years. They did exactly the same thing with the SVWP. So even people like me had no idea what was about to hit us smack in the face until the very last minute when the released the EIR.

So here’s where we are at folks. If they start the spillway modification as currently scheduled in April 2007, before they can put any men or equipment in the spillway channel upstream of the dam, Nacimiento will have to be lowered to at least elevation 750” msl or 40% of total capacity.

Today, my attorney and I learned from the State Division of Dam Safety, the regulators as Curtis Weeks has called them in his email, that the Water Agency filed a request with the DSOD in July 2006, for permission to spend two years doing the construction instead of just one summer season from April through Sept.

DSOD granted that request. They also made it subject to a condition that the lake be maintained at an elevation that will guarantee that in the event of a 100 year storm. No water will run over the top of the dam spillway until construction is 100 % completed.

As I said in my emails to Curtis Weeks and his Agency, that means one thing, Nacimiento will have to be completely drained prior to Sept. 30, 2007. to meet this condition.

Nacimiento has and can go from dead empty to completely full in less than 60 days. DSOD has recently received the Agency’s plan; a plan the Agency has yet to admit even exists. I am certain that plan will call for totally draining the reservoir there’s simply no choice. But the DSOD will not release to the public, what the plan will be until they have agreed to it or noticed the Agency of changes they will require them to make, that’s fair enough, it’s the Agency that should be telling us, not DSOS.

I have played this game with the Monterey Co. Water Agency for a long time, I know how it works and I know how Nacimiento works. I may be just a bit off, but I am not far, which DSOS confirmed today.

This information should have been given to the public months ago it’s important to many people, not the least of whom work and live around the lake. It will affect your businesses your jobs and the values of your property. And once the project is completed, the Salinas Valley Water Project will be up and running and using more water then ever in the history of these two reservoirs, so it can be pumped away from the Salinas river to Castroville where the land owners long ago depleted their ground water and no have nothing to pump but sea water.

For those of you that have visited my website, svwpdata.com, you have had your last visit for a while, the lawyers and Curtis Weeks didn’t like the way I was sharing the truth and this week, sent a long winded Motion to the Judge in Los Angeles asking her to tell me to turn it off. So I did. So much for freedom of speech and truthfulness.

We will however, soon be bringing Mr. Bob Meyer s to the witness stand in LA, with all his documents and we will find out exactly what Mr. Meyers has been hiding from everyone all of these months, very soon. When we do, I’ll do my best to make sure everyone get the results.

Until, plan as you see fit and be wary.

Dan Heath

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Wednesday, October 04, 2006 5:45 PM
To: 'Weeks, Curtis Ext.4896'
Cc: 'Johnson, Robert'; Bob Meyer (meyerb@co.monterey.ca.us); 'boba@taproduce.com'; John Baille (); David Hart ; 'dustin@nacimientoresort.com'; 'Shepherd, Thomas J.'; John Pinio (inioj@co.monterey.ca.us">pinioj@co.monterey.ca.us); 'Ralph B. Allison'; 'CTTB@co.monterey.ca.us' ; KEVIN PIEARCY ; 'khowe@montereyherald.com'
Subject: RE: Monterey County Water Resources plan to drain Nacimiento to the bottom in 2007

Curtis
Thank you for your reply. I am still concerned with the same basics I have been for the last 6 months. Let me try and explain my concerns and questions so that you can reply to me on each specific question.

Based on this reply, I understand current strategy for lake elevations is 760-770, however that is based on regulatory approval.

1.) Because the elevation of the bottom of the flood gates channel is about 755’ like the bottom of the gates, to access the upstream side of the spillway would require some method of bridging the flood gates channel or damming it off, neither of these alternatives seems very feasible, or is it what the Agency is planning to do?

2.) If one of these methods is being planned by the Agency please tell me so I have a comfort level with your current strategy, if not, isn’t it very reasonable to assume that for the safety of the construction crews and equipment, you will have to take the elevation down to 750’?

3.) You say that the lowest elevation necessary to complete the Project and safely protect the workers is elevation 750’, isn’t this the elevation actually required during virtually all of the construction that will take place from the upstream side of the spillway, on the spillway?

4.) What elevation will the regulators require the Agency to drop the reservoir too, assuming the project is not completed by Sept 2007 and the spillway is not fully functional with an operating inflatable gate?

5.) It seems reasonable that even without the regulators requiring lowering of the reservoir, the Agency would do so for safety reasons, if any part of the project is incomplete in such a way that uncontrolled water flows over the spillway might jeopardize the safety of the dam or the safety of those people and property down stream of the dam, is this true?

6.) It appears that the Agency will be making large releases from Nacimiento between Nov. 1, 2006 and Dec. 31, 2006 and dropping the reservoir to elevation 769’
based on the latest res. release schedule just prepared by the Agency, will releases continue if natural flows occur in Nov. or Dec., or will the Agency stop releases as long as the reservoir is within the flood rule curve limits?

7.) In past years, when releases have begun after the end of the River Channel maintenance period in Nov. large releases were made from San Antonio to supplement the flows from Nacimiento, this year according to the res. release schedule that is not what will happen, isn’t this because it is necessary to drop Nacimiento and keep it dropped throughout the winter, so it is low enough to begin construction on the dam in April?

8.) San Antonio will be virtually full going into the winter, that means it may flow uncontrolled over the spillway all winter if it is a wet year is that what the Agency plans to let happen?

9.) Beginning next April, if Nacimiento is at 750’ or 40% capacity with just 150,000 af in storage and if San Antonio is completely full and you do not plan to drain Nacimiento below 750’, is the Agency currently planning to make all of the conservation releases from San Antonio in 2007 or will releases be made from Nacimiento and if so, how many AF?

If you will please respond to each question with reference to the question number, perhaps we can get all of this resolved once and for all and I can plan accordingly, for next season.

Thank You
Dan Heath

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: Weeks, Curtis Ext.4896 [mailto:weeksc@co.monterey.ca.us]
Sent: Wednesday, October 04, 2006 3:47 PM
To: dan heath; Johnson, Robert
Cc: Meyer, Bob Ext.8984; boba@taproduce.com; Virginia Hennessey; John Baille ; Dustin Heath ; Norm Flowers ; Ralph; Michael McCann ; mlazier@thetribunenews.com ; mtjia@thetribunenews.com ; KEVIN PIEARCY ; khowe@montereyherald.com; kbui@thetribunenews.com ; Jessica Lyons ; Lura Plaskett ; lgriffy@thetribunenews.com ; assemblymember.salinas@assembly.ca.gov ; 105-Clerk to the Board Everyone; David Hart ; 100-District 5 (831) 647-7755; ; rar; Phillips, Bill x5159
Subject: RE: Monterey County Water Resources plan to drain Nacimiento to the bottom in 2007

Dan - Our current strategy for reservoir/lake elevations during construction of the spillway modification, pending regulatory approval, will maintain an elevation in the range of 760' to 770'.
Our draft construction schedules (one to two year) will also need regulatory concurrence, establishing final reservoir elevations during final construction. Nevertheless, the lowest reservoir elevation necessary to complete the project and safely protect workers is elevation 750'.

Sent: Monday, October 02, 2006 4:52 PM
To: Johnson, Robert
Cc: Weeks, Curtis Ext.4896; Meyer, Bob Ext.8984; 'Virginia Hennessey'; John Baille ; Dustin Heath ; ' 'Ralph'; ' Michael McCann '; mlazier@thetribunenews.com ; mtjia@thetribunenews.com ; KEVIN PIEARCY ; khowe@montereyherald.com; kbui@thetribunenews.com ; Jessica Lyons ; Laura Plaskett ; lgriffy@thetribunenews.com ; assemblymember.salinas@assembly.ca.gov ; 105-Clerk to the Board Everyone; David Hart ; 100-District 5 (831) 647-7755; ; 'rar'
Subject: Monterey County Water Resouces plan to drain Nacimiento to the bottom in 2007

Hello Rob
I just had a look at the latest release schedule included with the Res-op agenda. It is quite obvious that the Agency is planning to drain Nacimiento after the River Channel Maintenance program ends this month. It is also obvious that the Agency must lower Nacimiento to at least elev. 750’ by the start of construction on the Spillway modification, currently scheduled for April 1,2007 and it is also becoming increasingly clear that the spillway modification will never be completed by Sept. 1, 2007, again based solely on Agency reports and projections.

In fact, based on the most recent MCWRA BOD Agenda, unless the new Spillway rubber gate system is already ordered, which it certainly is not, it wouldn’t even be built or delivered to the site at the dam by next Sept.

When dams are constructed, they aren’t allowed to impound any water above the lowest outflow valves, in this case the dam/spillway is being un-constructed first and then it will be re-constructed. During the interim and prior to the 2007-2008 rain season, the State Division of Dam Safety and FERC, will certainly require the Agency to dewater the reservoir, completely, by Sept 2007.

The Agency is well aware of this and as usual is hiding and misleading the public and others like myself with a lot at stake. Bob Meyer s who is the Chief of Reservoir Operations and one of those who is heading up this project has repeated refused to answer my questions regarding what the Agency plans and knows it must do with Reservoir levels. He has claimed he is still waiting to learn what will be required, that’s simply not true as you well know, this project is to far along for this most important issue to remain an unknown.

The latest reservoir release schedule included with the Res-Op Oct. Agenda shows Nacimiento being drawn down to elev, 769’ or 59%, by Dec. 31,2006, over the winter every drop of water that enters the lake will also have to be dumped into the ocean along with another 75,000 acre feet of water still left on Jan. 1,2007. In order to drop the lake to 750’ or just 40% of capacity.

It would be extremely helpful to me and my two operations to have you verify these facts, or tell me in writing if something else is truly going to take place.
Based on Bob Meyer s complete failure to respond to my earlier requests and those of my attorneys, with the truth, it appears that as usual, the only reason that Bob Meyer s and the Agency refuse to respond as required by my contracts with the County of Monterey, is because everything I am saying are the true facts, otherwise he would be all to pleased to tell me I am wrong.

Bob Meyers told the Res-op committee in August, he’d know for sure in Sept and tell them what would happen at that meeting. In Sept. he said he didn’t know but would by Oct and tell them in Oct. That meeting is this Thursday the 5th of Oct. I doubt he’ll tell them this week either.

But I hope he does, I also hope you or some one else will tell me, because I can’t have a business plan when the Agency refuses to disclose what future plans are for the upcoming project. Bob Meyer as much as admitted when backed into a corner at the Res-Op meeting that instead of the lake being dropped to 775’ like he told the lake residents via Ralph Alison a number of months ago, it would be dropped to 750’ because they must have access to the spillway from the upstream side of the dam, and the bottom of the flood gates and the channel that feeds them is at elevation 755”

I would appreciate your cooperation and a response. If it isn’t forthcoming, it will be when Curtis Weeks , yourself and Bob Meyer s get on the witness stand in Los Angeles in a few short weeks and are ask under oath. I suggest it will look much better for all of you if you stop covering up the truth and answer my questions before you are put on the witness stand.

The choice is of course yours, tell me now or tell me in front of the Jury.

Dan Heath
Water World Resorts Inc.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       10-17-2006, 5:18 PM Reply   
nothing suprises me with Monterey County. 15 years ago they talked of draining the entire lake. I dont remember the purpose of it, but I do remember my dad attending meetings about it. it is so sad when that lake is dry. I hope Dan Heath Continues to stay on them.
I used to ride my quads from the narrows till I could see the dam. that was in like 89-90 or so. that was due to the drought though.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-17-2006, 5:32 PM Reply   
It would suck if they did anything to Naci. I have not been there in years, but some of my earliest childhood memories are on that lake.
Old     (kevin_garduno)      Join Date: Jun 2006       10-17-2006, 6:15 PM Reply   
No way, I can't believe they would drain it again. I really hope Mr. Heath stays on the issue and keeps us updated. I help run a club in SLO that takes a bunch of people and boats to Naci every weekend. This would clearly cripple us. Ryan, can you send me his e-mail address or the address of whoever forwarded the e-mail? Thanks. We can rally a lot of opposition to this proposed plan and hopefully keep some water in the lake or at least make a villain out of Curtis Weeks.
Old     (leykis1o1)      Join Date: May 2005       10-17-2006, 6:42 PM Reply   
your telling me, i just moved to Atascadero and quite from my family business because i love the lake!! and didnt want to drive the Weekly 3 hour drive from Ventura anymore ....

here is Dan Heaths E-mail ...please E-mail him your concern and maybe we can all rally together
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-18-2006, 9:18 AM Reply   
Duno, the problem has been here since before we were born (yeah even me). Trust me there has benn a ton of effort on a few people's part but Monterey County always falls back on the simple fact that they own the water and SLO county has nothing they can do about it. Sadly our little lake is F-ed. The last few years have been epic with record water levels. But as it says above they are draining the lake throughout winter so that by April(I call BS) they will be ready to begin building. So it sounds like those great two years we had that brought us back up are all for not. They are just going to let it all go. Then the farmers will bitch about not having water and then 5 years down the road when the lake is back up they will be able to take even more water.

The fact is they don't care about recreation. The lake is for farmers in Salinas, period.

Pint night @ W-stocks tonight?
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-18-2006, 9:43 AM Reply   
SO basically they have to take the lake levels down 50 ft and keep it there for up to two years while they make the flood gates bigger so they can drain it harder if need be.

They had levels like that a few years ago. Big mud pit for the most part, but there was still water in the main channel and some of the creeks.

It's pretty sad because it's such a beautiful lake and sooooo fun for hanging and boarding on. The narrows is an amazing for a no wake cruise on a nice day. All that will be gone.

You are seeing the next stages in resource battles. Water and energy will be the big ones. Unfortunately, this lake was built to assure the farming industry in CA would always have the water resources it needed in hard times.

It's an awful loss for the boaters in southern Cal, this is an amazing destination and now we will be limited even more. Hopefully they finish the construction ASAP and we have a few good winter rainy seasons to fill it back up and keep the res full.
Old    abadsvt            10-18-2006, 10:10 AM Reply   
This really sucks!!!! I live in Atascadero,CA and Naci my main lake i go to. To top it off i just bought a brand new 07' Mastercraft X1. I know there is other lakes like San Antonio, and Lopez lake but i have been told that they get really windy. I guess by the time Naci is up and running i will be a professional wakesurfer!!! This sucks!!!
Old    abadsvt            10-18-2006, 10:20 AM Reply   
I was just thinking. Does anyone know where there is some nice wakeboarding lakes around Paso Robles since Naci wont be around for the next couple years. I know i might have to drive a little but i definately want to be on the water all next summer. Thanks
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-18-2006, 10:28 AM Reply   
You already know the three. You can go to Anderson which is by Salinas but I hear its a train wreck. Honestly San Antonio is pretty damn nice. Lopez can get windy but I have had incredible water there, its just hit or miss.
Old     (super_air)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-18-2006, 10:31 AM Reply   
I have been hearing about this for a few years and it looks like it just might happen this time, who knows for sure. If and when they do it we will just have to deal with it, am I going to sell my house, No I don't think so.

On a brighter note I will be able to find all of my anchors and sunglasses I have lost and finish working on my house.

Josh- San Antonio lake is right across the street and will remain full, only drawback is it will be full of people now if Naci is drained.
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       10-18-2006, 11:57 AM Reply   
Anderson is about an hour from salinas, near san jose (morgan hill to be exact) and would never be worth the drive from that far sout.
Old    abadsvt            10-18-2006, 12:15 PM Reply   
Yeah that is what i am thinking that San Antonio will be packed. It seems like everyone owns a boat now a days and they all are going to go out to San Antonio. I guess i will wakeboard during the winter season and the get drunk and wakesurf for the whole summer. Maybe i will be able to check out Lake Shasta for the first time. I know it is a 6-7 hr drive but that isn't bad for a 3 day weekend trip. I wonder if i should have bought the boat after Naci is drained. Maybe i would have got a better deal? Thanks everyone!!!
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       10-18-2006, 12:34 PM Reply   
did you guys take delivery of the boat yet Josh? I want to see it! like most lakes, lopez and San Anton are good in the early mornings. unless Lopez is riddled with a ton of fog, it can be an great lake to ride at. I have not been in a while though.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-18-2006, 3:49 PM Reply   
No way Lopez is best when its got that fog, it means the wind is not blowing.

Josh if you ever need an accomplice in debauchery, I've got a drysuit and love to practice drowning myself while drunk wakesurfing!
Old     (super_air)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-18-2006, 3:51 PM Reply   
Yo heavy do you want to ride Saturday?
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       10-18-2006, 4:00 PM Reply   
I meant when the fog is too thick to see ten feet out. I dont like being on the water then..
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-18-2006, 4:07 PM Reply   
You just have to know the lake, haha.

CAR, I will be up there with our wakeboard club. So if you see 3-5 boats with 10-15 people on each, watch out, young people behind the wheel. I'll keep an eye out for ya.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-18-2006, 4:48 PM Reply   
Is Dan Heath the owner of Nacimiento Resort??

FWIW, I have been to Naci when the levels were that low, pretty much the years preceeding the big winter rains that replenished those reservoirs and the aquafers they are insurance for. It's a very different lake at those levels. Still rideable, but certainly not as fun or as pretty.

If I am correct, they were intending to build new gates at the top of the spillway to increase holding capacity. Even a 10-20 ft height gain over current max would mean alot. The launch ramps would be pretty short, but more water = more fun.

Farming industry trumps wakeboarding. Monterey owns the rights to the water, SLO missed out
Old     (kevin_garduno)      Join Date: Jun 2006       10-18-2006, 5:12 PM Reply   
Don't ever ever go to Lopez, we call it Blopez for a reason. Hit San Antonio early to ride, then party when it becomes a roll-fest. Pint night might be a go Steve, I had a rough day. CAR, I think I saw you out two Saturdays ago, not sure there are too many other red Supers out there. We'll be up again this Saturday with 4 and possibly a fifth boat, so hit it early. We don't powerturn, but we'll have a hell of a lot of riders going all day. Feel free to stop us and say whats up. I'm sure I'll be in the yellow super air again. Or just yell CCAW, you'll get a good response. See you out there
Old    abadsvt            10-18-2006, 7:00 PM Reply   
The boat was supposed to be here last week. Midstate marine told me that they have to have 2 or 4 boats (i forgot exactly how many) completed for them to ship them and that has been the delay for my boat. I special ordered it about 2 months ago. Bob told me that it should be here this week but so far no boat. When i finally recieve the boat if you ever want to board just let me know. I have a few friends that like to ride but always looking for more peeps! I plan on boarding all winter! The boat is all red with black strip and black X1 sticker. Even the inside is all red. Its going to be sick!!!!! Anyways i guess San Antonio is where we will go. When are they going to start draining Naci?
Old     (leykis1o1)      Join Date: May 2005       10-18-2006, 7:02 PM Reply   
Well i just baught a brand new 2006 450 KTM Dirtbike ready to expore the bottom of lake Naci..
Old    abadsvt            10-19-2006, 11:31 AM Reply   
I wish i was one of the first people to get on the lake when it is drained. You would find so much stuff! Maybe i could find my $140 glasses that the lake ate. Hey ryan do you think that they are going to drain it that low? I was under the impression that there will still be at least 30% left in it.