Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-10-2010, 6:09 PM Reply   
I am just in the brainstorming stages of getting a rail up where I ride. It involves getting permission from the Corp, finding a good location to place it and of course building the rail. I am thinking that due to the deep water, I will need to build a floating rail of some type. I am curious to see what is possible for floating rails that are not outragiously expensive to build.

Also, if anyone has building plans for a rail please share!
Old     (wakezone804)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-10-2010, 7:34 PM Reply   
55 Galon Barrels can be picked up from bottleing companies for cheap or free sometimes. This wil get your rail floating. Make sure the rail is at least 20' anything less will be a lot of work for little excitement. All weather 16' deck boards TYvek work great and can be purchased at lowes/home depot along with the materials to build the frame!!! Good Luck...
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-10-2010, 10:51 PM Reply   
I would extend that to at least 25 feet for a Flat bar or an incline bar, 30 to 35 for an A-Frame or an up to flat, and 40 for a Rooftop rail.
Old     (jhilltn)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-11-2010, 7:38 PM Reply   
it's unlikely to happen if you want to get permission from the authorities.

don't use tyvek as a sliding surface! trex will work though.

25 ft is still really short. any shorter than 35 ft will not be very functional.
Old     (jhilltn)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-11-2010, 7:39 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhilltn View Post
it's unlikely to happen if you want to get permission from the authorities.

don't use tyvek as a sliding surface! trex will work though.

25 ft is still really short. any shorter than 35 ft will not be very functional.
that was all negative, so... building a rail is fun! and they're fun to hit! be sure you offset the 55gal barrels or put them beside each other or it will look pretty, but tip over before you even hit it!
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-12-2010, 7:17 AM Reply   
Thanks for the tip on offsetting the barrels, that makes a lot of sense. I was thinking 40' would be a good goal. What do you guys think about doing a flat bar first and then progressing from there? I assume the flat bar would be the easiest to construct.

Luckily I have an inside track on getting approval and as long we go through the necessary hoops it shouldn't be a problem. Here's hoping!