Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old    si1ic0n3            07-20-2002, 6:09 PM Reply   

I am having problem getting air.. I am going about 22MPH and have a ski bar. I cut hard and extend the legs at the top of the wake.. but i still can only get about a foot off the water.. I get distance but not height. Please Help
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-20-2002, 6:33 PM Reply   
My guess would be that you are edging hard when you first cut and then letting off. Kinda like a slalom skier. You want to make sure you have a progressive edge where you start slow and then edge harder as you get to the wake. There are several posts regarding this below so check them out and read the tips here on wakeworld.

If you can have someone shoot some video of you it will probably help you figure out what you're doing wrong. You may think that you are edging all the way through but watching the video you can spot the problem. Compare what you do to either an instructional video or the pros to figure it out.
Old     (crowmobe)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-22-2002, 8:36 AM Reply   
Bill is right on that progressive edge stuff, also make sure you are in a sitting down position when approaching the wake . My but is usually about 6-12 inches from the water when I approach the wake and when you jump make sure you bring the handle to your waist and it will shoot you up there...
Old    si1ic0n3            07-23-2002, 4:23 PM Reply   
Okay thanks ill give it a try this week. I think you are right that im not edging all the way in to the wake.. I am hitting the wave more square rather than with an edge
Old    eaglevision20            08-12-2002, 9:12 AM Reply   
Edging harder at the wake and not in the flats is the key but also if this is your first season you might want to take the speed down to 20mph just to get the feel of poping of the wake better, and also pop has alot to do with what board you ride.
Old    lunker            08-12-2002, 10:39 PM Reply   
I'm just now feeling like I'm getting some air. I had alot of trouble with the idea of extending at the "top" of the wake. Then I watched a guy that goes huge. He comes in much slower with his butt low and starts to extend at the BOTTOM of the wake. for me the time to start extending at the bottom and get to full extention at the top is barely a second, but it works. I can now get 4-6 feet on a weak jump and often hit 8-10 feet without a doubleup. I even have a couple witnesses.

Mark
Old    scoot            08-13-2002, 5:39 PM Reply   
Lunker how long have u been ridin?
Old    scoot            08-13-2002, 5:40 PM Reply   
Lunker how long have u been ridin? And how big is your wake?
Old    vlxboarder            08-14-2002, 11:24 PM Reply   
go slower... try about 19-20 mph the wake will get bigger... what kind of boat you got? and get a tower... it'll pull you up off the water...
Old    vlxboarder            08-14-2002, 11:25 PM Reply   
oh yeah, one more thing... dont try to make yourself jump... dont ollie when you get to the top of the wake. just let the board throw you up
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-15-2002, 9:51 AM Reply   
If you want big air get a big wake... However, don't ever expect to get a true 8 to 10 on a normal wake jump - just doesn't happen. No pro can even get 10 feet off the wake without going inverted, unless they go off the double. Lunker ... proof is in the puddng - lets see a pic.
Old    lunker            08-15-2002, 7:39 PM Reply   
Chad -- I have to disagree. I ride about 20 mph and the wake is about knee high for me. I think youll find MANY people here that are NOT pro's can exceed 8 feet occasionally. I consider myself a beginner/intermediate and usually jump 4-6 feet. you HAVE TO jump that high to clear the wake on my boat, unless you charge in at full speed and flatten out. As it is, 4 -6 feet sometimes has me casing the other wake. I can usually get 8-10 feet once or twice in a run. Its pretty easy to tell. The tower is 8 feet high and the handle is 2-4 feet higher. Pros can easily jump 10+ feet without going inverted. I've seen it in person at Just Go Ride.

I'll see if I can get a buddy to spend his next day out looking through a viewfinder for you. But in the meantime, here's a fiend behind my boat. For perspective, he's 6'6", the wake is about 3' high that day and I was sitting as I took the picture. It's just a w2w. ----- I think you'll find lots of people here can get 10' sometimes and 6-8 often.
Old    lunker            08-15-2002, 7:40 PM Reply   
OOps, here's the pic.

rob
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-16-2002, 9:09 AM Reply   
You may be right about pros going 8 feet high without the double or going inverted, but 10 is a strech. The air in the pic is decent but I would say your only about 5 feet high, and if you straightened your legs you would be 4 feet or less. This is my idea of ten feet... Would be nice.
altered pic
Old    garyfranc            08-16-2002, 11:15 AM Reply   
Lunker,

If your friend is 6'3", I calculate his board would be 4.9 ft off the water if his legs were extended.

I think Chad's got it pretty close in his altered pic - I calculate 9.8 ft in that one. :-)

But hell, I wish I could get as high as the first pic. My new profile pic is probably about as good as I ever do. I figure just under 3ft. :-(

Gary
Old    lunker            08-17-2002, 7:41 AM Reply   
Chad, How'd you do that? All my pictures will be 12-15 high jumps from now on. :-) Like I said, the pic of my friend is just a wakejump. Usually when he rides noone wants to sit in the cockpit because you cant see him through the bimini. you have to sit in the bow. It's only like 65 degrees with 40 mph gusts right now, but hopefully tomorrow I can work on some "big air" only shots.