Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (bschall)      Join Date: Jun 2007       11-08-2011, 2:21 PM Reply   
http://vimeo.com/user5911301/8-year-...edding-at-home

A little 8 year old girl killing it. Imagine having a wake that was the same proportion as that wake on her
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       11-08-2011, 2:26 PM Reply   
Like I suck and better get off my couch!!!
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       11-08-2011, 2:28 PM Reply   
Should have known she was Ozzie!! Those people are hard freaking core!!!!
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       11-08-2011, 3:02 PM Reply   
It is bad enough watching Phil, Harley, and Amber and feeling inadequate in my skills, but to watch an 8 year old girl just smashing the wake is causing me to question my skills on a another level. I have failed.

Seriously that kid is the future of the sport.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       11-08-2011, 3:15 PM Reply   
I feel like a fool. She was hitting the wake switch and landing 180's. Damn.
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-08-2011, 3:24 PM Reply   
SICK!!

but when I see videos of amazing riders I dont really feel anything. They live in florida or australia and ride everyday. Im sure if any of us were given the oppurtunity/time we could progress as much as well
Old     (Wiatowski)      Join Date: Aug 2011       11-08-2011, 3:26 PM Reply   
I like to think of wakeboarding as my escape. It's cool to hang with family and friends, challenge each other on the water. But what happens to these kids ( albeit their exceptional at what they do) when all they know is wakeboarding. It's kinda that way for every sport. Sure it's fun at first but then it becomes a job, and if you don't live up to the industries standards, then where are you?
I feel sorry for these kids ( most come from money, cause let's face it you can't pull off 1/4 of these tricks without a $60,000 boat) cause they're push and told that they have to be successful.

Sorry for the rant, saw a clip of Toddlers in Tierras today and I have no idea why they even promote that kind of wrongness in this world.....

That and I'm poor.

Props to the kid with the killer moves BTW.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       11-08-2011, 6:23 PM Reply   
I always get really jealous when I see wakeboarding prodigies who are growing up on a boat because I have to give 110% of myself every day and claw tooth and nail just to achieve 1/2 of the success they're virtually guaranteed. That said, it is extremely impressive!

Wakeboarding is a very honest sport. Talent and resources are important, but they're not the end all and be all. Hard work does count for something in wakeboarding. I know that I can beat some of these kids by outworking them, and that's a reassuring/motivating feeling.
Old     (Wiatowski)      Join Date: Aug 2011       11-08-2011, 6:38 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHebrewHammer View Post
Wakeboarding is a very honest sport. Talent and resources are important, but they're not the end all and be all. Hard work does count for something in wakeboarding. I know that I can beat some of these kids by outworking them, and that's a reassuring/motivating feeling.
LOL, ya but the money helps.
I work my butt off to board, but the size of my wake is like trying to jump the grand canyon using a speed bump for a ramp.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       11-08-2011, 7:53 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiatowski View Post
( most come from money, cause let's face it you can't pull off 1/4 of these tricks without a $60,000 boat)
really have to disagree here....
my neighbor used to have an old WellCraft that with an extended pylon that they used to load up with sandbags, fat sacs, and weightplates. Long story short i used to sit and watch and be amazed at the off axis spins and flips they used to throw, and thats in new england where theres like 4-5 months of riding at the best. Anyways my neighbor is pro now and lives in orlando. He got sponsored and learned all his tricks behind a mid 80's cabin cruiser sterndrive.

yea a 50k-125k boat helps but it is not holding anyone back

as far as this video, wished my parents got me started younger, and i am stoked for this girl and hope she progresses safely and quickly.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       11-08-2011, 8:10 PM Reply   
Absolutely. The advantage these kids have isn't the size of their wakes. Their advantage is that they start at a very early age and often have professional coaching and trampoline cross-training right from the start. It always baffles me to see how many people think that having a bigger wake will make them a better rider. In nearly all cases, it's not your wake that's preventing you from learning a 900 or a KGB 5. It's your age, your health, your fitness, your coaching (or lack thereof), and most importantly, your drive.

I don't even have a boat, let alone a pro-quality wake to learn on. I also don't have a trampoline or a coach. When I want to learn a scary new invert, I go to the cable and spend all day or all week hucking it off a kicker until I finally figure out how to control the rotation. It's a daunting, frustrating, and painful process, but it makes it that much more rewarding when I finally land a banger.
Old     (austin)      Join Date: Apr 2010       11-08-2011, 8:37 PM Reply   
She's probably spent more time riding in the last year than I have in my entire life.

The video's definitely amazing, but at the same time it's very depressing to be reminded that by the time I get a boat and can finally ride semi-regularly I'll be well past my prime and will be lucky to ever progress beyond a 360 and maybe a basic invert. It's hard not to be jealous of someone who's had the opportunity to do so much riding at such a young age.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       11-08-2011, 8:49 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin View Post
it's very depressing to be reminded that by the time I get a boat and can finally ride semi-regularly I'll be well past my prime and will be lucky to ever progress beyond a 360 and maybe a basic invert.
I've felt that before, but c'mon man, don't be so hard on yourself! I used to think I'd never learn an invert, but the more you learn, the more you realize that there really are very few limits to your progression. Even if you're well past your prime, you can become a much better rider than you think if you believe in yourself, surround yourself with dedicated/talented people who will push you in the right direction, and put in your best effort. Normal guys like us might never compete on the pro tour, but that doesn't mean we can't learn a few mobes and some 7s. Stick with it and I guarantee you'll surprise yourself!
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-08-2011, 10:20 PM Reply   
That is SOOO AWESOME. hope one or more of my daughters will have interest in sharing my passion of wakeboarding in the future!

I agree and disagree with the money comments.

money helps for sure (as in pretty much all cases) and i can count on one hand how many times i have been behind "real wakeboard boats" and they make a HUGE difference. they slow everything down for you and then when get back behind your usual ride you stink and have to speed things up again.

I cant say how many times i see fancy wakeboats full of people who really don't know what they are doing. powerturns, horrible speeds/acceleration, designated tubers and wakesurfers, etc.

Anyway... TIME is definitely the biggest thing (especially if you're not lucky enough to have rare raw natural talent). I know of kids that have been wakeboarding for a fraction of the time i have and have progressed much faster (2 years vs 10-15years) BUT if you look at the number of days gone wakeboarding in that time, then these kids far exceed the time i have spent, which is one reason i hesitate with the "how long have you been wakeboarding?" question. 30 days a year for ten years is nothing compared to hundreds of times a year for two years.

Instead i like to throw an extra word in the question. "how long have you been PASSIONATE about wakeboarding?"
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       11-09-2011, 6:00 AM Reply   
Can't help but smile... That little girl is a shredder!!
Old     (quik876)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-09-2011, 6:39 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_vilfo View Post
SICK!!

but when I see videos of amazing riders I dont really feel anything. They live in florida or australia and ride everyday. Im sure if any of us were given the oppurtunity/time we could progress as much as well
sorry to bust yer bubble man, Florida's not completely all that; I live in North Central Fl. and for the past several weeks it's been too windy to get out to the lake (especially after gettin' off work and all) we might as well be surfin' on the lake with all the white caps couldn't set an edge if ya tried. Central Fl I guess gets less of the windflow. so our chances riding hasn't worked out too well lately. just have to see what the Holiday Friday brings, maybe some good conditions then, but I gotta keep my fingers crossed, not gonna hold my breath though.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-09-2011, 7:02 AM Reply   
Makes me feel good, I'm way better than her!! Hahaha seriously though, impressive video for 8 years old just based on the fact that she is willing to get on a wakeboard at such a young age. I didn't even like going in the lake when i was 8, i was afraid of the alligators lol
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       11-09-2011, 7:40 AM Reply   
Im just feeling a lot of stoke right now (and a hint of depression). She can do more advanced tricks than I can, and several of them with better style. Its awesome to see kids that are that good. I really hope she's that good because she loves it, because thats a winning combination right there.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       11-09-2011, 7:57 AM Reply   
A lot of these kids burn out or get hurt before they're ready to claim their place in the pro ranks.
Old     (flydenrict)      Join Date: Nov 2009       11-09-2011, 9:15 AM Reply   
Come back when you've learned a handle pass... No man just kidding that is sick. Half cabs and a back 1 on the flats? not bad at all
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-09-2011, 11:23 AM Reply   
It makes me feel like I'm 8. Because my skill level behind the boat is pretty close to that.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-09-2011, 12:14 PM Reply   
Now I'll probably get sh*t on for this but that video hardly qualifies for a Malibu sponsorship. Yes she is 8 and i'm sure in 3 years i will be eating my words but i was honestly expecting a lot more from the title of the thread. As for the wake being proportional to her size, harley's wake in some of the videos i've seen look like that. I agree that she has a very good chance of getting burnt out.

Jamie, I'm going to definitely agree with you on that BEFORE cables starting sprouting up everywhere. Now you don't have to parents with cash to make it in the sport. The only thing that really seems to be essential is that your parents make wakeboarding your sport instead of your hobby. Baseball was my sport and definitely took precedence over riding and I wouldn't have changed a thing. I think it's important to have your kid in an organized sport learning how to play with a team, be with kids their own age, and not to sound stuck up but not being in a sport where being a punk is considered cool.
Old     (wakesetter_WW)      Join Date: Jul 2010       11-10-2011, 2:11 AM Reply   
Being a punk is considered cool?? Where did that even come from?
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       11-10-2011, 6:21 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_L View Post
and not to sound stuck up but not being in a sport where being a punk is considered cool.
I grew up doing individual sports and boardsports. So am I a punk or a loser?
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       11-10-2011, 8:25 AM Reply   
Haha, typical baseball player attitude. SMH :/
Old     (Wiatowski)      Join Date: Aug 2011       11-10-2011, 9:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_L View Post
essential is that your parents make wakeboarding your sport instead of your hobby.
I think it's important to have your kid in an organized sport learning how to play with a team, be with kids their own age, and not to sound stuck up but not being in a sport where being a punk is considered cool.
I'd like to agree with you but I can't. For starters. I think when something becomes a "sport" there's pressure and anxiety to perform at a certain level... so I rather myself and my kids ride for fun. What ever the activity is that my family is doing, fun only!

Kids learn to deal with each other at school, they don't need organized sports to play together, and getting together with your friends and challenging each other on a board, totally not being a punk. In fact I think (and I hope I have supporters) that wakeboarding, skateboarding, snowboarding, kneeboarding etc.... have more redeeming qualities than the pressures face by "organized sports". It's all about having fun with you friends, and who cares if your better than your buddy cause you cheer him on to progress, and he's gonna cheer you on.

I've never heard someone say " you lost us the game" on a wakeboard. And don't believe me?! Just look at all the pressure that there is in kids football, hockey, soccer, and yes baseball. And it starts when there little.
So Kudos to the little girl shedding it! I hope she's doing it and having a blast, cause if you don't enjoy it, you couldn't pay me enough to do it. (well depends everyone has a price)
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-10-2011, 10:03 AM Reply   
@quik876 wow dude that blows.. must be so rough having it be too windy to ride..
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       11-10-2011, 2:57 PM Reply   
That makes me feel like I need to have a very serious talk with 18 month old Daughter about upping her game!

That was RAD thanks for sharing!