Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 04, 2003

Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-09-2003, 10:17 PM Reply   
I can't really say I made these more than I just put it together. My brother had some nice Boston Acoustic 6X9's from the old boat. We planned on putting them as tower speakers on the new boat but never purchased a speaker box for them. We really like the looks of wetboxtowers but the price is a bit high. I remembered I had some 6X9 speaker boxes that I purchased a couple of years ago for $30 from Crutchfield. They are well made and are covered in carpet. For tower speaker clamps I used "billet bar mounts" that I got for $50 from www.chassisshop.com. Ran the speaker wire through the tower and connected them to an amp and Voila... Tower Speakers.

Cons- Tower Speaker boxes are made out of MDF and carpet. Could be problems if they get wet. The tower speaker clamps are not quick release and cannot be easily removed. Not too concerned about it because I garage my boat.

Pros - Relatively cheap. total cost for materials and wire - less that $100. The only major cost comes from the quality of speaker and amps that you buy.

Here are some pics

Tower Speakers
speakers on boat
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       02-09-2003, 10:40 PM Reply   
Just be sure not to sit under them. Could have a throbbing headace for awhile. Might want to run a saftey cable of some sort.

Travis Farber
Wake Me Products
www.Wake-Me.com
Old    norcal_99            02-09-2003, 11:16 PM Reply   
They look good. I don't think they'll get wet unless it rains. How do they sound?

Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-10-2003, 12:10 AM Reply   
Actually I slightly modified the clamps. I used a longer bolt and drilled through the speaker box. I have a metal backing plate inside the speaker box and used nylon locking nuts to secure the bolts. I'm not really concerned that the speaker box will fall. I figure it would have to get pretty loose before that happens. They actually sound really good. Not sure on the model of the Boston Acoustics but they are super clear. I did put some polyfil inside the box to help with the acoustics and they give off a nice full range sound.
Old    bigd            02-10-2003, 11:29 AM Reply   
A guy on my lake has a pontoon boat with 6 of those boxes mounted to the roof - slammin'. He hasn't had any trouble with 'em. Even if you do, it's chump change to replace 'em. The wood will suck up any water so it won't hurt your speaks - just chuck 'em, reload, & keep goin'.
Old    ratm3706            02-11-2003, 1:42 PM Reply   
hey, how tall is your tower from the floor to the bottom of the top bar? and Do they seem like they will be in the way? also, how really good do they look. I kinda like your idea as an inexpensive way to get some good sound on the tower.
Old    r_brown            02-11-2003, 3:16 PM Reply   
they look pretty good .I would scotch guard them though just my .2 cents Ryan
Old     (twowakes)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-23-2003, 8:41 PM Reply   
I did the same setup on my tower but i covered themin black vynil and sealed the seams.
DB