Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 10, 2007

Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-08-2007, 8:18 PM Reply   
ok guys, When my backs better and i can start riding again would a helmet help to avoid concusions? Have had quit a few. I wont be hitting any sliders. and i dont wanna look like a pansy out on the water! any advice? good idea bad idea?
Old     (cwb_fooguitarlz)      Join Date: Nov 2006       08-08-2007, 8:25 PM Reply   
I wear a helmet...but I wear the Capix wake helmet...It's basically a fashion statement because the helmet looks bad a$$. The padding, on the other hand, isn't near as good as my buddies Pro-Tec wake helmet. Also, if you catch an edge the bill on the helmet will force the helmet around onto your face or behind your head.
Old     (vin)      Join Date: May 2007       08-08-2007, 8:29 PM Reply   
you wont look like a pansy when your in a coma
Old     (sjh89)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-08-2007, 8:29 PM Reply   
i wear a capix too it looks good and gives some protection i never wore a helmet before last week when i got knocked out in the water and got a concusion
Old     (hixsonaz)      Join Date: May 2007       08-08-2007, 8:31 PM Reply   
i wear a protec ace and really like it. in fact i feel naked without it. wife is getting one shortly too.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-08-2007, 8:36 PM Reply   
ok so if i get one def go with the protec for most protection? any other models to look at? or new ones comig out?
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-08-2007, 8:41 PM Reply   
I wear the protec ace wake helmet and I love it I highly recommend getting one
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-08-2007, 8:43 PM Reply   
ok is it comfy and light? and i couldt find them on buywake.com any other good sites to check out?
Old     (sportydude)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-08-2007, 8:50 PM Reply   
ebay!
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       08-08-2007, 8:51 PM Reply   
I didn't like it when I first tried it, but I think I may be jumping on the helmet bandwagon... this current concussion is really dragging me down, Ive had a few days of epic that Ive had to miss, and I can't lift weights, its very depressing... I think an ace wake is in my near future...
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-08-2007, 8:53 PM Reply   
I completely forget I'm wearing it while I'm ridin' . . . Wakeside has em
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-08-2007, 9:03 PM Reply   
i think that there are more problems that you will face while wearing a helmet than its worth to save yourself a concussion here and there.
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       08-08-2007, 9:14 PM Reply   
to each there own jason but what problems whould you have except being The Guy with a Helmet. If its wakespecific and fits correctly it offers great head protection. I have wore one all season now and have felt the differance after several bad falls. Concussions you know cause perm brain damage and most people on here whould prefer to keep thier wits. pro wakeboarding doesnt have a pension fund do they? I wear a hl helmet.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-08-2007, 9:18 PM Reply   
I love how people still try to say that you are at a disadvantage wearing a helmet. IMO they definitely help protect your noggin on those nasty edge-catch faceplants.
Old     (wake_pirate)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-08-2007, 9:29 PM Reply   
I got a Capix, but it comes off when I fall, the bill catches the water, & off it comes. I will probably switch to a ProTec or this other one I saw, its called a Munch, or Mobe, or something like that, & it resembles a Protec. The padding looks good. Does anyone know what its called? They are selling them at WaterSki World in Citrus Heights, CA.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-08-2007, 9:35 PM Reply   
Im looking at the protec on wake side right now. the water helmet is 39 bones while the wake helmet is 59 bones. seems like the only difference is the removable ear guards? is that the oly difference?
Old     (nowake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-09-2007, 4:23 AM Reply   
You guys wearing helmets; do they really help when you hit the water? I'm sure they help if you hit something (ramp, another board, etc..) but do they really help when you smack the water directly? If yes then I might have to jump on the bandwagon too.
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-09-2007, 4:56 AM Reply   
I am looking at the same questions as Matt. not hitting sliders and what not. But if I catch toeside, or drop backwards...will it help me? i know it must be weird at first, but I wanna keep what smarts I have left in tact. Not loosing it to a concussion for something I love doing. Let us know. Dick's sporting goods has a good price on Protec.
Old     (qball)      Join Date: May 2007       08-09-2007, 5:22 AM Reply   
Ive worn mine for long enough now that Im nervous without it. I definately think the advantges of wearing them far outweigh the disadvantages...
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-09-2007, 5:29 AM Reply   
It ABSOLUTELY helps you when you hit the water. I switched to helmet this year and on some really hard falls where my head smacked the water, the helmet definitely saved the noggin. I'm sold on them and won't go without again.
Old     (wakeprodigy)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-09-2007, 5:41 AM Reply   
check out the VOZ Evolution helmet. I don't have one, but will either be buying the Evolution or one of Bern's helmets. For a review of the Evolution helmet check out this link.

http://www.dallaswakeboarding.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=26&page=viewtopi c&t=10192&highlight=helmet&sid=c1498f83746fbc2f412 bf4c1e0fc82bb
Old     (fish6942)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-09-2007, 5:45 AM Reply   
I have an older Wake Ace helmet. I wear it to help absorb the impact with the water (no sliders, etc.) and for the ear flaps. Considering the construction consists of: plastic shell, styrofoam filler and about 1/8" of padded material I'm hard pressed to believe this is doing much for me. Is there a watersports helmet that has more padding than these?

Edit: I just saw the post above. I'll check out these other helmets for sure!!

(Message edited by fish6942 on August 09, 2007)
Old     (wakeprodigy)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-09-2007, 5:46 AM Reply   
Picture of the VOZ
Upload

Picture of the Bern
Upload
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-09-2007, 6:25 AM Reply   
I just bought a pro tec Ace wake helmet large black rubber color for 21.50. Talk about an awesome deal. SSSSWWWWEEEEETT! Can't beat that price for sure. I like the look of the VOZ..that is pretty cool. the Berns helmet are cool too. I was looking at the HL yesterday at my local shop....70 bones though. Stoked about the Ace helmet at 21.50.Love it when I come across a good deal.
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-09-2007, 6:46 AM Reply   
They ABSOLUTELY help when you hit the water. If you've wakeboarded before you would know how hard the water is at high speed
Old     (kgoings)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-09-2007, 6:47 AM Reply   
Earflaps...as to the question about I figure the earflaps would protect the ears from smacking the water and blowing your eardrums.
Old     (qball)      Join Date: May 2007       08-09-2007, 7:45 AM Reply   
I tried riding with the earflaps in when i first got my helmet but it really messed with my balance. I know they could prevent a burst ear drum but there has to eb a trade off at some point...
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-09-2007, 8:00 AM Reply   
Helmets obviously will take away the smack feeling from the nerve cells in your scalp, but it is unfounded whether they reduce brain bouncing or what effect they have on neck stress.

I don't wear one while riding when not hitting sliders and kickers. Nobody I ride with does. There are many people on here that have had concussions with helmets on.

I wouldn't discourage anybody from wearing one though, if it makes you feel safer go for it.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-09-2007, 8:25 AM Reply   
Bern helmets are the best imho. I have the Baker and it is the most comfortable helmet I have ever worn. It has ear flaps as well.
Old     (qcwake)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-09-2007, 9:27 AM Reply   
I started wearing the capix helmet last summer mainly for the ear flaps after my brother badly ruptured his eardrum. The flaps were a little uncomfortable at first but I got used to them and think they definitely help on some crashes.
My brother now has the Byerly by Bern and it has a lot of padding along with the ear flaps. Last weekend he dropped his nose on a 3 and it broke off one of the ear flaps but protected his ear.
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       08-09-2007, 9:33 AM Reply   
ya it definitely helps on the water! I went for a 3 caught my back edge and had a huge head smack. Food for thouht if someone got a concussion with a helmet on think about how severe it would be without one. As the guy that says no one he rides with was wears one... I went to a comp last weekend and all the riders pro'e thru novice were wearing them
Old     (tnctryboy)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-09-2007, 9:33 AM Reply   
I swear by my helmet after this past weekend. last pull of the last day i charge the wake over rotate and land right on the back of my head. i had a headache on Monday this happened Sunday. i am sure it would have been much worse if i had not had my helmet.
Old    bocephus            08-09-2007, 9:41 AM Reply   
What, no one mentions the Shred Ready?

Shred Ready

Upload

The orange is great because people can see you in the water!

The earphones are great too!
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       08-09-2007, 9:56 AM Reply   
Second the Shred Ready, here is a pic of the Super Scrappy.Upload
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       08-09-2007, 10:04 AM Reply   
ya the shred ready are the tightest ones but looked a little more expensive, but they look higher quality than other wake helmets. i found it on a kayaking site. were did you guys find these
Old    bocephus            08-09-2007, 10:06 AM Reply   
I posted the website above...
Old     (kgoings)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-09-2007, 10:19 AM Reply   
Bocephus those are pretty sweet...the only downfall no Yellow! lol
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-09-2007, 11:06 AM Reply   
I would like to get a helmet but my overly large noggin prevents me from pulling the trigger. Anyone have some suggestions on a good helmet for us large cranium folks? The VOZ's are nice, but I'd want to try in on first before dropping that kind of cash.
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-09-2007, 11:17 AM Reply   
I rock the Schred Ready Super Scrappy and its sick. I get TONS of compliments on it. Same as the carbon fiber blue above. You can simply swivel the adjustable rear head pad back and forth to move the bill to the front or back which ever is your preference. +10000 I've ridden the Ace as well and just didn't like it as much.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       08-09-2007, 11:52 AM Reply   
Shawn I would say that the Shred Ready helmets are the best for large noggins, call Shred Ready they are great people over there and they will give you exact sizing and answer any questions you might have.
(334) 239-0179
Old     (trevorcurry)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-09-2007, 12:04 PM Reply   
I just got a gnarly concussion yesterday... my vision was blurred for an hour or so, and i still have a headache today. I'll be wearing my helmet a lot more now.
Old     (chris_williams)      Join Date: May 2007       08-09-2007, 12:34 PM Reply   
I've tweaked my neck pretty good b4 from a helmet. For certain falls I see how it is good but other falls, your head doesn't break through the water as good so your neck gets bent.
Old     (hixsonaz)      Join Date: May 2007       08-09-2007, 3:13 PM Reply   
update...wife just ordered a pink protec today. She has seen that since i bought my protec i don't come back to the boat with squinty eyes and groans after taking a head slapper.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-09-2007, 3:28 PM Reply   
Anyone know where to get the shred ready helmets? there site doesnt have all of them to order.
Old    bocephus            08-09-2007, 4:25 PM Reply   
Just call them, they are great people there!
Old    shredready            08-13-2007, 8:43 PM Reply   
He folks, Tom here from Shred Ready. Sorry if anyone has called, we have been out at the Outdoor Retailer tradeshow this last week.

Anyway, you can order any of our products online, nice thing is the dealer closest to you will ship the helmet(s) if they have in stock. If not we will ship it ourselves.
or you can calls us.
334 239-0179.
sorry if there was any inconvience.
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-16-2007, 3:25 PM Reply   
You talk about luck....I got a Protec Wake Ace helmet for 21 bucks...and that included shipping. Got the last one Dicks sporting goods had. Rubber Black Large. When I got my order confirmation it said protec ace water helmet. I started to think...Oh I got the cheaper one. Oh well, I thought....21 bucks. Still a good deal.. I got it today...Nope it is a Protec Wake helmet....locking mech for my head and yes....it has the ear flaps. Full blown Protec Ace Wake...for 21 bucks. AWESOME!
Old     (dubs_ucla)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-16-2007, 6:48 PM Reply   
i have to say my byerly bern is amazingly comfortable and i feel like i am getting a good bit of protection when i wear it. looks don't matter, but the fact that i like the look only helps
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-16-2007, 10:39 PM Reply   
Chris...you would have tweaked your neck with or without a helmet. They aren't made for you neck....and they don't "cause" neck injuries because it slows your head down. It helps with brain deceleration which causes less trauma to your brain tissue inside your skull...nothing more. Looks like the neck injury might have been from a kid hanging around you neck instead
I haven't had a bell ringer since I started wearing it 2 years ago, and I have had some intense, hard falls.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-16-2007, 10:44 PM Reply   
SoCal thats all i need to hear! Im sold on rockin a helmet on the water, when i can ride again thats gonna be the first thing i pick up!
Old     (jayson_49)      Join Date: May 2007       08-17-2007, 12:12 AM Reply   
i wear the "hyperlite" bern also but got a concussion with it on. had memory loss and disorientation and all that good stuff. i can still feel it 5 days later but getting better though. i hope to ride again real soon, but i'd probably had gone to the er without the melon cap.
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-17-2007, 8:47 PM Reply   
joey...I would recommend the protech wake ace. I have tried 3 different kinds and although they are all pretty comfy, the protech has given me the best result when I do hit the water hard. I bought the bern (girls version) and I am not happy with the fit and I did get a slight headache for 10 minutes with it about a month ago....probably due to the loose fit... Went back to my protech and never had a problem with it. Also, I replace my helmets every year because I do ride a lot and I want to make sure it will continue to protect me. Shred ready was good too....hope this helps..good luck.
Old     (liquidforcefan)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-18-2007, 4:08 PM Reply   
I heard that wearing a helmet when hitting the water is worse and I can see why. A helmet works on hard surfaces because when you hit them your head stops abruptly when in water your head goes through the water, with a helmet the surface area of your head gets bigger so when you hit the water your head stops faster which kind of takes away from the benefits of a helmet. I'm not a doctor so anyone who is actually qualified is probably right thats just what I think
Old     (chrisnj)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-18-2007, 8:21 PM Reply   
I'm going to have to disagree w/ anthony and those who think a helmet makes things worse. Although you (and your head) will eventually break the plane of water, its still that initial impact that causes brain to shift and result in the injury. I'm sure some physics major or something can chime in w/ how hard water becomes at xx speed, but crashing at 22+ mph + the speed you pick up when you catcha heel edge, will certainly create the water surface to become harder to penetrate than if you were just jumping off a dock. And the cushioning that a helmet provides will definitely reduce the initial shock that your head has to go through when it first hits the water.
Needless to say, I'll be picking up a helmet and riding w/ one from here on out :-)
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-18-2007, 10:12 PM Reply   
Anthony...diinnngggg....wrong answer...thanks for playing!!!
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-19-2007, 6:36 AM Reply   
SoCal....yup....I agree with you and Chris. The bones on your skull flex on impact...thus the little cracks...like a puzzle. I am not a doctor either...but to me it makes sense. The flex of those keeps your head from breaking open...but the same time cause pressure on your brain=concussion. If you wear a helmet..with cushion..it will limit the bones in your melon from flexing causing a concussion. I love my helmet...SoCal...did you read my post earlier....I got my Protec Ace Wake for 21bucks at Dicks Sporting goods online. I think they thought they were selling the water helmet. But to my surprise....full blown wake....saving me 40 bucks...SSSWWWEEEETTT! Bad news is....I got the last one...A large rubber black Protec Wake. I went back on line......not listed anymore.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-19-2007, 10:28 PM Reply   
chris, scott, and socal, I agree water gets harder the faster you go so it could easily get as hard or harder than concrete!!!!
Old     (chris_williams)      Join Date: May 2007       08-19-2007, 10:59 PM Reply   
If i went cliff diving at the lake with a helmet on, it would hurt my neck alittle more whether I went in feet first or head first. Kinda the same. Also if a helmet doesn't break through the water as good, then wouldn't that stop your head faster and cause your brain to bounce back and forth harder?

(Message edited by chris_williams on August 19, 2007)
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-19-2007, 11:16 PM Reply   
Scott...I did read your post...that is a great deal. I have to tell you though that your skull doesn't flex on impact. those "suture lines" as they are called that you are referring to allow the the skull at childbirth to compress so it can squeeze through the pelvic bones. They fuse by about age 2 and your skull becomes one solid bone encasement for your brain. the helmet helps your brain tissue inside your skull with deceleration so you are less likely to damage brain tissue. The theory of a helmet increasing water surface area has nothing to do with anything.....how then do you explain how helmets work on different size heads? Wearing a helmet is like straping on another cranial bone to your brain....that much more surface area to absorb the contact of the water.

Think of deceleration as being in a car accident without a seat belt....your head and body lunges forward then snaps back, sometimes a couple times before it comes to a stop. Your brain does the same thing inside your skull, causing brain bruising/tearing/bleeding= concussion. The helmet, like your seat belt, slows and eventually stops the deceleration of your body (or brain). And just like with water, if the accident is bad enough the seat belt won't be enough to help you and neither will the helmet.

There have been sooooooooo many other posts about this topic. Check out the archives on them. I have posted some really good stuff from neurology web sites.

Joey...how's your back?

(Message edited by rnopr8 on August 19, 2007)
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-19-2007, 11:39 PM Reply   
Chris I like the cliff thing....kinda like jumping from an airplane with out a chute???
Old     (chris_williams)      Join Date: May 2007       08-19-2007, 11:43 PM Reply   
How fast do you ride at SoCal MOB? If your going fast and hitting dubs a helmet is bad. I didn't hurt my neck from the kid around it either lol. He didn't know how to swim so I put a jacket on him, got him comfortable floating and showed him the water!
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-20-2007, 6:09 AM Reply   
I ride at 25...just kidding about the kid lol. Looks like it was a lot of fun!