Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 01, 2005

Old     (nlitworld)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-11-2005, 1:56 AM Reply   
Hey, I'm lookin to buy a new vest, but i'm not sure of the ups and downs to the difference between coast guard approved and non-approved vests. is there that much of a difference in floatation or flexability? do the non-approved vests still provide floatation even?
Old    chris_newrider            02-11-2005, 4:36 AM Reply   
I bought a non-USGA vest to wear under my drysuit this winter. Since the drysuit adds extra flotation, it works great.

We had a really warm day in December and I trunked it with the non-USGA vest. After my first fall I was getting into position and my head kept going under water. I had to fight to say up. Now I'm only 168 pounds, so if it wouldn't float me...

I will always wear my USGA approved vest from now on.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-11-2005, 5:30 AM Reply   
have both... the non-usga is so darn comfortable and flexible- i will use this under my drysuit.

my usga approved is a little bulkier but but has better protection
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-11-2005, 6:56 AM Reply   
Agreed. You will get used to the buliness of a CGA vest. Under the drysuit a non CGA is fine.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-11-2005, 7:01 AM Reply   
Non-USGA vests will float you as long as there is air in your lungs. Take a bad spill and get the wind knocked out of you, you will sink. With a USGA vest you will float. That is the difference.

I read a post last year about a guy who had this happen to him. He was knocked unconcious in a bad spill and started to sink. Fortunately, his driver made it back to him in time to grab him before he went too far under.

That's scary stuff. I think I will stick to USGA vests even if it means I won't have as much mobility. There are a couple vests on the market that are supposed to be pretty close to non-approved vests as far as lightness and comfort, but they are USGA. Take a look at the "LAW" and the Hinge.
Old    leggester            02-11-2005, 7:27 AM Reply   
If you ask the question, I'd say go for no vest or a non-USCG vest.
Old     (wakeme884)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-11-2005, 7:34 AM Reply   
Ive got a body glove non cga. I notice that it doesnt keep me as high out of the water as the cga. It floats you the minimum.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       02-11-2005, 9:46 AM Reply   
non all the way, all you have to do is keep you head above water
Old     (nlitworld)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-11-2005, 10:00 AM Reply   
Hey thanks guys.

Yeah, i had my eye on the "law" already, and i do want something with some floatation so i don't have to fight to keep my head up.
Old     (wake_eater)      Join Date: May 2003       02-11-2005, 11:05 AM Reply   
i wear a jetpilot non-approved vest. i love it. i've had the breath knocked out of me too many times to count and have never sunk. the only problem with a non approved vest is: if u get knocked out the vest isnt guarranteed to float u face up, as opposed to an approved vest. i'm 6 ft. tall & 162 lbs. and have never had a problem keeping my head above water with the vest, but it might be because i'm pretty skinny.
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-11-2005, 11:27 AM Reply   
CGA doesnt mean you will float face up, as far as I know, only survival suits will correct you in the water. CGA means you float, so they can find your body.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-11-2005, 11:44 AM Reply   
approved vests are the way to go.
Old    wickedwake            02-11-2005, 11:55 AM Reply   
I will be wearing "The Law" this season, we'll see how it works
Old    stoked27            02-11-2005, 1:42 PM Reply   
I bought a non-CGA vest, spent a pretty penny on it too. It's extremely comfortable, fit me like a glove, but my friend used it once, and it was a little tight on him. It stretched out so much that it's too big for me now. It was a bunch of money wasted. I'm using a $30 CGA vest now, and I've grown to like it more. Plus it seems to be more durable. Plus with a non-CGA vest (at least on my lake), there's always the chance of DNR catching me using it, and I think they give a fine for it.
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       02-11-2005, 2:50 PM Reply   
ALWAYS WEAR YOUR VEST & IN MY HONEST OPINION, CGA APPROVED, If you need an extra inch to throw your trick, try harder....

R.I.P.

CORDELL ( Corey Kraut )

It has been said over n over, but if it saves 1 life I will say it again, ALWAYS WEAR YOUR VEST!!!

http://www.wakeworld.com/News/2000/CoryKraut.asp
http://www.wakeworld.com/news/2001/Kraut.asp

Unknown Author:

It's hard to truly understand the impact of silence. The blank water is still fresh in my mind.

It's great to hang out with good friends and other wakeboarders, watching guys from the boat who are going all out and make it look so easy, fun and effortless. Guys pulling off stuff most of us just dream of. Even when you're not on the water, if you're just hanging out on the dock you're having fun listening to stories. Wakeboarders love to have a good time. That's what it's all about. We love the water. Some of us have withdrawals if we don't at least get a short set in. Like most loves, it makes us feel comfortable. We relax when we feel safe and warm. Just thinking about it right now, I bet most of you can feel the warm summer water holding you as you wait with handle in hand. How can something we love so much hurt us?

Most people will never understand the true meaning of quick. The blink of an eye, we've heard it. It's cliche. Flipping a light switch. Not fast enough. Here, then gone. Instant. Forever.

That's it. The lake we love with all our lives will swallow us whole. Instant. Forever. There is no struggling for breath. There is no last hand or foot up on the top of the water. There is nothing. When you hit the water and get the breath knocked out of you, you sink. Fast. One minute you're pulling off a sick spin. The next you are gone. In an instant, forever. Two boats with 11 guys can't get to you. Diving into the water to look for you doesn't help. The water is dark and deep.

I dove off the front of the boat and went as deep as I could, looking up through the murky water, searching for sunlit silhouettes. I saw nothing. Time and time again, I saw nothing. Neither did any of the others who dove in. The view from underneath the surface, while almost out of breath will never leave my mind.

There was not one thing any or all of us could have done. We were helpless. It's not like in the movies. There are no bodies to find. There are no heroes giving CPR to save the day. You can't do CPR if you can't find the person. You just disappear as if the lake grabbed you and put you in its pocket. Here, then gone. Happiness, then chaos, then...silence. Just a board floating alone.

Then reality kicks in. Cops, fire trucks, ambulances, park and wildlife boats all surround you and you are forced to relive the experience again and again and again. Retelling the sequence of events and unfortunately having to show it over and over on videotape so that the search teams can get a location is brutal. I can't get it out of my head. I go to sleep thinking about it. Not one day has gone by that I haven't thought about it. I never will forget it.

You always hear the stories about someone who was on the last run of the day when they went down. It's always the last run and for some the last run ever.

To this day, Corey was the last person to pull me boarding. When I think of what happened, I am deeply saddened. When I think of him, I smile. I remember every time I tried to pull off a trick, even if I didn't make it, I got the horn honk from the boat and some encouraging words from Corey. I remember watching him bob his head to Dr. Dre and Eminem as we went across the lake. At the RV he made sure people were getting sandwiches and drinks and felt welcome (he did think that the bottled water in a can was kinda funny though). I remember how much fun he was having on the tour. Yeah, the carbon monoxide in the RV thing wasn't too cool, but everything else was great. He loved it.

Like Greg said, sometimes we forget. Maybe we are in a hurry or we just feel really safe and comfortable. Just think of how many people have jumped in with their sunglasses on. In the latest video release Corey was in, he was wearing a vest. We have to remember. Our lives depend on it.

Every time I ride, I will be riding with thoughts of Corey. His love of life, his love of the sport, and his overall positive outlook will make me ride the way he did; for fun, pure fun.

I will never forget him.

-= peace =-
Aaron

Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-12-2005, 2:10 PM Reply   
I cruise by the memorial to Corey when riding. Would never even dream of not wearing the CGA. Used to along time ago, then I got smart.
Old     (jody7290)      Join Date: Jan 2005       02-12-2005, 7:19 PM Reply   
Just a scenario. What if you get knocked out with the board still on your feet facing down. won't you still be drinking water CGA vest or not? Please tell me if I'm wrong.
Old     (addictedchick)      Join Date: Jan 2005       02-12-2005, 9:36 PM Reply   
Dude, totally go with the non coast guard approved if you are intending to make a lot of progress or ever compete. The competition vests like o'neill outlaw are much thinner and more flexible but you still float. Plus think about it- part of the reason you ride with a crew is so that if something happens to you they can jump in and help get you on the boat.
Old     (nlitworld)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-12-2005, 10:08 PM Reply   
I'm either going to get the "Law" or the "Outlaw" because I have heard very good things about both. The law is thin and flexible like a non CGA vest, and the Outlaw is thicker and more boyant like a CG approved vest. I'll be debating more when it comes that time in the season, but for now I'm choosing one of those two.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-13-2005, 10:22 AM Reply   
alexis did you even bother reading the post above? 11 people could not find one person
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-13-2005, 12:47 PM Reply   
Yeah, I always wear a CGA vest, so what if it holds me back from grabing that nuclear a little farther back. I could not justify putting my self at risk like that, when the diffrence is dying and not dying, I dont think it would be worth it. I mean if you cant do it for your self, do it for your friends and family.
Old     (p_e_ski)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-13-2005, 2:35 PM Reply   
If you blame your CGA vest for not allowing you to bust your move, then you ain't that great to begin with.

Matt Legge.....I know better than to think you suggested riding without a vest. If you had a worst case scenario accident without a vest and drowned, what would that 7 year old daughter do without her dad. Come on man, don't even take a chance shortchangin your kidsjust because you want to be more comfy.
Old     (mikemcmill)      Join Date: May 2002       02-13-2005, 4:11 PM Reply   
Aaron, you are the man...wear CGA approved lets not loose another loved one...

-Mikey
Old     (hymaeringo)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-13-2005, 4:43 PM Reply   
I got a vapor comp and for christmas and can't wait to use it. I've never had a high quality vest only simple and cheap neoprenes and have never had the wind knocked out of me. I ride aggressive and go big for 3 years now and this has not happened to me. this thread has instilled fear on my crazy riding for the fact I have a non-cga and have never used it.

(Message edited by hymaeringo on February 13, 2005)
Old    260searay            02-14-2005, 2:24 PM Reply   
i got the 05 LF hinge for x-mas dont know if its any good or not but i hope i will like it.
Old    wickedwake            02-14-2005, 2:58 PM Reply   
Tried a Vapor the other day in the swimming pool, I'd would have been a goner if I got knocked out. I saw the Hinge the other day, It is definetly a good looking vest, just dont have any experience with it.
Old    wakeboardn4life            02-14-2005, 3:47 PM Reply   
hey wicked nice name by the way i wear a CGA vest and i really wanted a NCGA until i saw these post i think ill stick to CGA for now
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-14-2005, 4:22 PM Reply   
agreed CGA is only way to go if you value peace of mind and your life..you may never need it but its nice to have just in case..

Alexis ,Sorry theres no way if you become that good that you say Progress fast that you should get a NCGA ..its not how good you are that determines whether or not you get knoicked out and sink to the bottom of the lake !
If you think about it ,trying to progress means working on harder tricks which could lead to harder falls ???

Like what was said before if a CGA holds you back you arent that good,i bet parks could strap a brick to his vest and still ride great...
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-14-2005, 6:12 PM Reply   
I can't claim any sort of intelligence here, I ride with the JP A-10. For years(7) I rode with the Outlaw and have gotten used to the less floating vests. Now when I switched from the one to the other I was amazed at the difference, the JP doesn't float for $#!T. Whenever I ride I always tell the folks I'm with that my vest doesn't float me for crap and that if I eject hard they need to come save my arse. I have great bindings and I rarely eject all the way but I know that I can't count on that to save me. What can I say, I have no excuse it's just how I roll. my dad dislocated his shoulder while wearing a CGA neo vest & he was having a heck of a time fighting for breath & holding his arm in "place" so to speak. Don't die, thanks.
Old     (addictedchick)      Join Date: Jan 2005       02-17-2005, 9:43 PM Reply   
Shane,
that guy wasn't wearing a vest at all. even in a non cga vest you'll still float some so you can be found. Of course it does depend on how much air is in your lungs and your muscle mass. As a girl- I float much more than the guys do when wearing the same vest. Overall we all have to be careful.
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       02-18-2005, 6:31 AM Reply   
Get non-cga vest, they are a lot more comfortable. they don't float as well as cga vest but float enough.