Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-08-2011, 11:59 PM Reply   
After a couple of months on the market, I closed the sale today of my white 2009 MB B52V TWB. It was a great boat that served our family well these past two seasons. If you are wondering why I sold it, the real reason is that I just like new boats (my wife blames this forum). So I've decided to go in a different direction.

I felt the need to come and tell WW about my sale since this is where it all started... remember this thread?

The guy who bought my boat will give her a good home. This is his second MB, and he plans to put a wrap on her! I can't wait to see it.

Special thanks to Tyler (aka Diggs) for getting the word out and offering sage advice... he's forgotten more about boat sales than I'll ever know!

Also thanks to Ian at OIB. After a month on CL of getting nothing but joker, low-ball offers I decided to pony up for an OIB ad. It was a good move because only then did the legit boat buyers start calling. In just the past two weeks I've had two very serious buyers willing to pay my price: the guy who bought it and another who's genuinely upset he missed out. Both found the boat on OIB... I stopped renewing the CL ad weeks ago.

As for what's next... wouldn't you all just love to know! I will post pics when I make a decision. It shouldn't be too long. I think I've learned enough to where I don't need a WW thread to help me choose.

One last pic for ole times sake... she will be missed!

Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-09-2011, 3:42 AM Reply   
Congratulations on the sale.Glad there was positive feedback you could learn from on wakeworld.Success stories are always great.Good Luck on your future purchase and Happy Boating.
Old     (saberworks)      Join Date: Sep 2010       04-09-2011, 9:54 AM Reply   
Wow that's a sweet looking boat. All the MBs up here I see on CL have garish black or bright red flames plastered across the sides.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-09-2011, 10:08 AM Reply   
Nice work man!!!! So what are you getting and when are you deciding?
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-09-2011, 10:16 AM Reply   
I'm gonna guess a Malibu, I've noticed him posting one in particular thats damn nice.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-09-2011, 10:16 AM Reply   
Oh and congrats on the sale. One day I'll unload my boat and when I do it'll be on OIB.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-09-2011, 10:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler97217 View Post
Nice work man!!!! So what are you getting and when are you deciding?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatepain View Post
I'm gonna guess a Malibu, I've noticed him posting one in particular thats damn nice.

Keep in mine, I have a garage restriction that will prevent me from getting a lot of the boats on the market. Anything longer than 22' on the trailer is basically out.

Also, I'm kind of limited to boats that are in stock since there is really no time to order and get my boat before Memorial Day. Most of the factories are way backed up (Malibu in particular).

I did both a water test and garage test (it fits!!) of this boat yesterday morning. It was funny, while I was water testing a new boat, my buyer was water testing the MB at the same time. So I managed to capture this pic (platform on the Supra was not on because the pins were missing... also Z5 rack left back at the shop).

The other boat I'm looking at is... a Wakesetter VTX w/ Cut Diamond Hull. That's right, I've come full circle on the original boat buying thread from two years ago. My reasons for a VTX are different this time. It's mainly because my wife likes to ski and it might be nice to have a flat ski wake for her. She's not that picky, and we have friends with direct drives, but I can't help but want to see her improve behind our own boat.

I've also considered another MB, this time an F21. But I'm having trouble getting the dealer to my price. I know MB values better than any boat, so I refuse to pay more than I know I should. And as much as I love the MB boats, I'm kind of feeling like a change might be good.

Last edited by ixfe; 04-09-2011 at 11:06 AM.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       04-09-2011, 11:14 AM Reply   
I hope it's not too soon, but I'd love to hear what you didn't like about the MB. That 2009 thread really made it sound like this was something you were buying for the long haul, and here you are only two seasons later making a switch. Which of course doesn't mean that you necessarily had a terrible experience with the boat, but there must have been a few things that bugged you about it to make you want to sell so soon? In that last thread you made a big point of the room in the boat, but you are now considering the vtx... did that not turn out to be such a big deal?

EDIT: and the reason I'm curious is that MB is definitely on MY radar for the future....

Last edited by shawndoggy; 04-09-2011 at 11:17 AM.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-09-2011, 1:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndoggy View Post
I hope it's not too soon, but I'd love to hear what you didn't like about the MB. That 2009 thread really made it sound like this was something you were buying for the long haul, and here you are only two seasons later making a switch. Which of course doesn't mean that you necessarily had a terrible experience with the boat, but there must have been a few things that bugged you about it to make you want to sell so soon? In that last thread you made a big point of the room in the boat, but you are now considering the vtx... did that not turn out to be such a big deal?

EDIT: and the reason I'm curious is that MB is definitely on MY radar for the future....
You should not draw any conclusions about MB based on my actions here. I stand by everything I said I two years ago. It is a great boat. Period. I have no complaints about it. In many ways, I will be giving up some things if I decide to get something different.

I'm just a guy who likes change. I flip cars quite often too. It's an expensive addiction, I suppose. But it's who I am. I can accept that.

The one thing I was hoping to achieve is a better ski wake for my wife. Two years ago I didn't think we'd care about skiing, but now I know it's what my wife loves most. And the rest of us aren't good enough boarders to care about any size we'll give up on the wakeboar wake. I will miss MB's surf wave, but I'm willing to learn how to make the other boats work in this regard. Both the Supra and Malibu should improve ski wake... The Supra due to the flatter bottom and the wake plate (just look at the first pic) . The VTX because of it's Cut Diamond hull.

So you see, my reaons are personal to me. I have no beef with MB. I'm already sad the white one is gone. If you want a killer wakeboard and surf wake, get an MB. They are great.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-09-2011, 2:05 PM Reply   
Thoughts on the 21V demo?
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-09-2011, 10:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionel View Post
Thoughts on the 21V demo?
Love, love, love the looks of this boat: Classy black and white gell coat, Progressive tower, Chome badges, 18" trailer rims, Z5 looks great

I really like the bow: It's funny, two years ago I purposely avoided playpen bows. Since then we've never removed my bow filler cushion on the MB. So, I guess we like playpens now. Super deep bow makes me feel better about having the kids up there. The bow handles are just sweet. Don't like the cup holders in the bow... they are hidden beneath a cushion for some odd reason. I hope kids don't spill fruit punch up there.

The swim platform is a bit smaller than I'm used to. But there's a transom remote that looks cool. I wonder if we'd use it.

I'm not wild about the ballast bags that take up room in the lockers. But I guess it's okay since they only take up about 1/2 the space. They fill faster than i thought they would... about 4 minutes. I'll miss the pure vert ballast of the MB, but I like the idea of having bow ballast, so it's an okay trade.

The wakeboard wake looks good, loaded and unloaded. I didn't ride, it was freezeing. But we're not too picky on wakeboard wakes. I'm realistic... none of these boats are going to hold this family back.

The surf wave looked good too with just two in the boat. I only looked at the goofy side (the side I care about) and it was clean and long with a nice curl. Not as tall as the MB wave, but surprisingly longer. Playing with the wake plate was fun to see how it changed the shape.

The nav screen will take some getting used to, but I think I'll grow to really like it with the rider presets and such. Easily visible in the sun (yes it was sunny in Portland yesterday). I liked that there is a true tach and speedo gauge in addition to the Zero Off displayed on the screen. The MB didn't have a true speedo, just the Zero Off. It didn't happen often, but when you lost signal to the sat you had no idea how fast you're going.

The drivers seat was a little narrow, no big deal. Just wish it was a touch wider. I love how it raises and lowers w/out needing to use the flip-up bolster (kind of like an office chair). In the MB, I always felt like I was sitting down in a hole when I didn't use the bolster... as a result I pretty much always used the bolster. The 21V has great visibility even w/out the bolster.

The overall cockpit in the boat is small for a 21.5' foot boat. The seat bottoms are very deep as they overhang the base. They are quite comfortable as a result, but make the interior space appear small. Also, the sun pad is HUGE. I think that's an okay trade off. The inside is big enough for my family. It will just be a little tighter when we have guests (as compared to the MB). But the big sun pad is a nice addition for my kids. I think they will live on that thing when we are just floating, eating snacks, and listening to tunes (which is often).

The racks are great... just a single loop bungee (instead of two bungees on each rack like the MB) and the upper fork can hold a surf board.

The progressive tower is very cool looking and it raises and lowers just as easily as the MB. It's super tall too. You can lower it even w/out removing the Z5. However, there isn't a way to mount a mirror from the tower, so I guess I'd have to get used to a windshield mount, unless Tyler has found an solution.

The Boatmate trailer is very nice. I love the long side steps behind the fenders, disc brakes on both axles, and of course the hot rims. But I don't like how there's no place to mount a spare. For what these boats cost they should come with a matching spare tire and wheel. Also, the guide poles are not easy to get off. It requires a crescent wrench.

Overall, I really like it.

Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-09-2011, 11:04 PM Reply   
Good write up. Sorry, one more ? How did it drive; response, handling, chop/double ups, etc...
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-09-2011, 11:47 PM Reply   
that supra looks sick. Real quick Q, whats the "cut diamon hull" on the vtx?
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-10-2011, 7:49 AM Reply   
See post #2:

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/...-diamond-hull/
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-10-2011, 9:19 AM Reply   
Quote:
Good write up. Sorry, one more ? How did it drive; response, handling, chop/double ups, etc...
Oh, sorry forgot to write about that.

I really liked how it drove. It has the bigger 340 motor, and the acceleration feels very quick. The engine sound is deep and throaty... a little bit more noticable than the PCM in the MB. Not obnoxious, just sounds like a hot rod.

I didn't test it in chop or double up... my bad. But overall I thought it felt very solid. No rattles or creaks.

Maybe I'll test it again and bring my camera and the whole family this time. I have to admit, I was a little preoccupied with the guy testing the MB, hoping he'd decide to buy it.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-10-2011, 11:10 AM Reply   
Is it just me or does the Supra (boatmate) trailer look like it was made for a direct drive, the axles seem to be too far forward.
Old    mojo            04-10-2011, 5:42 PM Reply   
If u want to ski and surf and ride check out sport nautique 200 or whatever it's called. 20' v-drive
Old     (jtech)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-10-2011, 5:56 PM Reply   
Did you demo the VTX yet? Once I spent some time in the BU it was an easy choice. My buddy had and 08' VTX and love it. Great Surf wake too.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-10-2011, 6:50 PM Reply   
No, we haven't demo'd the VTX yet. I'm going to try to this week.
Old     (gotwake133)      Join Date: May 2010       04-10-2011, 8:13 PM Reply   
+1 for the Nautique Sport 200. I was able to spend some time behind it in January. I surfed, rode, and skied the course behind the boat. The wakeboard was very nicely shaped with standard ballast, and I think has potential with some more weight added. I was very impressed with the surf was with just starboard rear ballast and bow filled half to full. It had great size, but a little short in length and kinda steep. I think that could be changed with more weight on the side or front. Ski wake was great @15off 34mph. Not as flat as I imagined, but very crossable. Overall great cross over boat and would suggest it!
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-10-2011, 8:23 PM Reply   
Nautique dealer in town just went under. He sold a Sport 200 for cheap. Not sure if a new dealer has been named?
Old     (gotwake133)      Join Date: May 2010       04-10-2011, 8:32 PM Reply   
Here is a pic of the surf wake, again just standard ballast and 2 or 3 people in the boat. Also figured I would throw one of the boat out there too. (sorry for the giant images)
Attached Images

Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-10-2011, 10:13 PM Reply   
That 21V looks great, what a great color combination. After owning a Supra ('08 22SSV) for a couple years/231 hours of use, they are really nice, solid boats. Especially when they upgraded the ballast fill/drain, added the VISION and new progressive tower. If you end up going with that boat, I am sure you wont be disappointed! I hear the wake in the 21V is better than the 22SSV.... especially when you upgrade to the 1100 lb bow bag and 750lb rear locker bags.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-11-2011, 5:41 AM Reply   
Thanks for the comments IXFE! Glad your boat sold. That Supra looks really nice.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       04-11-2011, 7:32 AM Reply   
CONGRATS now on to the 2011 with the Wakeplate right?????

That 21V doesn't even compare to the wake of an F21

Last edited by slipknot; 04-11-2011 at 7:35 AM. Reason: fun
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-11-2011, 8:39 AM Reply   
Huge fan of the Supra 21v, it's my favorite wakeboarding wake, and that comes from a Supra 24SSV owner.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-11-2011, 9:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudontn View Post
Huge fan of the Supra 21v, it's my favorite wakeboarding wake, and that comes from a Supra 24SSV owner.
Cody... what's your experience with the 21V's surf capability?
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-11-2011, 10:24 AM Reply   
I never had the opportunity to surf behind one, used to ride weekly behind a 21v but only started surfing a year or so ago and have not got to try the surf wake yet.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-11-2011, 11:20 AM Reply   
IXFE
I will have to dig and find some pics, but I am sure I have some for you. The way the ballast is set up it is real easy to put a ball valve on one of the ballasts and plumb a line to use to fill additional ballasts. I added a 10' hose off the ballast line and use it to fill a 750lb bag where ever I want. Then I can easily switch to the other side or if I just want more wakeboarding ballast. Since you are local, I can show you on my boat..... Here are some pics of how I plumbed the extra line..... I even have quick disconnects on it and can even use it like a garden hose!
Attached Images

Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-11-2011, 11:27 AM Reply   
Diggs, I would love to see some pics of how you plumbed that in, that's a fantastic idea. How do you empty them?
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-11-2011, 12:43 PM Reply   
Cody,
I will take pics when I do mine this year. Got the idea from the guys at Wakemakers. I just put a ball valve inline from the fill for one of my rear bags. I simply turn the ball valve and fill and empty just like you do with your other ballast. Just flip the switch from the stock ballast. Very very simple.
With the new ballast system it is very fast. Just have to program that switch through the VISION system to run longer since they are on a timer. Very easy. On the old ballast system you can do the same thing, but of course it will take a bit longer to fill.
Old     (dcooper)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-11-2011, 1:02 PM Reply   
Diggs, I would like to see more detail of your additional ballast fill hose. That would be ideal for my boat!
Thanks!
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-11-2011, 4:44 PM Reply   
You could probably just call WakeMakers and have them send you a kit of everything you need. Ask for Jason and he will remember my boat. I plan on doing the same thing this year...... It will be very affordable and easy.... Hopefully I will detail mine out soon and snap some pics for you.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-20-2011, 7:22 AM Reply   
did you get a new boat yet?
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-20-2011, 9:30 AM Reply   
Yeah... I have not heard any further either...... What is the final decision?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-20-2011, 9:38 AM Reply   
Glad someone finally did that to their system. Been thinking it was a great idea for some time now. Especially for surf wake or when you're short a few riders.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-20-2011, 1:42 PM Reply   
No decision yet.... I'm in agony. I swear this is harder this time than it was two years ago.

Stay tuned, WakeWorld. :-)
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       04-21-2011, 7:37 AM Reply   
F21 with wakeplate
Old     (moto817)      Join Date: Jan 2011       04-22-2011, 2:15 AM Reply   
23' B52 TWB See if they have the new supercharged 555 HP motor available, at the Sac boat show they said it was coming but couldnt get a date. Thats gonna be my next =-)
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-23-2011, 10:22 PM Reply   
I finally made a decision. It was not an easy one. I really agonized over this one... but in the end, I ordered up another MB. This time it will be an F21 Tomcat. And yes Hate2party... it will have an wakeplate!

If you are wondering why, it came down to many of the same reasons I bought an MB two years ago... it's just A LOT of boat for the money, and my family fell in love with the idea of ordering one just the way we want it. We loved the white TWB. This one will be epic... we get to pick and choose every detail, and benefit from all the changes MB has designed into these boats over the last two years. I was always a little worried about losing Pure Vert ballast (we love it) and the great surf wave the MB puts out. Now my worries are gone.

The boat will spray in few weeks with delivery expected by Memorial Day. I'll start a new thread in a few weeks when the pics start coming in.

Last edited by ixfe; 04-23-2011 at 10:25 PM.
Old     (nautigirls)      Join Date: Dec 2000       04-23-2011, 10:34 PM Reply   
That's awesome! Are u going all white again? If not what colors? Can"t wait to see it!
Old     (moon)      Join Date: Oct 2008       04-23-2011, 10:50 PM Reply   
Congrats on the the new order!
!! Can't wait to see the new boat. Will you keep us updated on the progress with photos?
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-24-2011, 12:03 AM Reply   
I have a few weeks to finalize colors. So not 100% sure yet. But it won't be all white.

Yes, I will keep you all updated with build pics as they come to me.
Old     (nautigirls)      Join Date: Dec 2000       04-24-2011, 12:12 AM Reply   
Wish I would have got the wake plate. Gonna try putting 350 lbs of lead in the bow. Dunno if it will work but getting the wake plate kit from MB is a little pricey and then would have to be installed since I have no idea how to do that! Kinda disappointed in the dealer for not pushing us to get the wake plate. Not even a suggestion. Oh well. Combats again on your new boat!
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-24-2011, 6:00 AM Reply   
nautigirls, the F21 should respond well to some lead in the bow. With the TWB, we've added weight to the nose at times to mellow out the wake. That being said, it's not needed. Also, try 3/4 ballast.
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-24-2011, 6:17 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nautigirls View Post
Wish I would have got the wake plate. Gonna try putting 350 lbs of lead in the bow. Dunno if it will work but getting the wake plate kit from MB is a little pricey and then would have to be installed since I have no idea how to do that! Kinda disappointed in the dealer for not pushing us to get the wake plate. Not even a suggestion. Oh well. Combats again on your new boat!
Adding a wake plate, should only cost about $500 in parts/labor. I would think that you can either go with a Bennett or Lenco Trim Tab. If you know somebody else looking to add a wake plate, you can buy a kit that has two plates and two actuators and will help cut down on cost. This is what I did on my Avy with the Lenco trim tab.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-24-2011, 7:45 AM Reply   
I knew you would be hard pressed to do better than MB! I have also had my eye on the F21. How does the wake on the F21 compare to the wake of the TWB? And, what does the wake plate do for you? Push the bow down? Note, I would think left/right wake plates would be nice for modifying the surf wake.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-24-2011, 10:00 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddad View Post
I knew you would be hard pressed to do better than MB! I have also had my eye on the F21. How does the wake on the F21 compare to the wake of the TWB?
F21 wake is the same as TWB. The two boats have the same hull below the waterline.

Quote:
And, what does the wake plate do for you? Push the bow down? Note, I would think left/right wake plates would be nice for modifying the surf wake.
The wake plate is a new option to MB. So there aren't a lot of reviews on what it does. Here is what it should do in theory:
  • Reduce bow rise
  • Get boat on plane quicker (I hear this is needed in high altitude)
  • Shape wake (plate down = reduced steepness, which I think my kids will enjoy)
  • Lengthen surf wave (trade off with wave height)
  • Flatten ski wake above 30mph

I'll work up a full review when I get the boat.

Quote:
Note, I would think left/right wake plates would be nice for modifying the surf wake.
This is essentially what MC has done with their "surf tabs." I was on an X-45 demo with a friend last year in one of the first boats to be deliverd with the surf tabs. We didn't see a very big difference with the tabs, but it was the first time the dealer had even played with them. So maybe people have figured it out.
Old     (nautigirls)      Join Date: Dec 2000       04-24-2011, 11:57 AM Reply   
I really don't want to do anything to the wake because it is awesome. I just need to get on plane faster. Congrats again!
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-24-2011, 1:43 PM Reply   
Hey Ixfe,
Congrats on the new boat! Sounds like you had a tough decision and it is done now.... Time to get out on the water now...
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-24-2011, 7:35 PM Reply   
I dig that black/white MB. But, I am thinking the forward swooshes are too much. Which do you like better?
Attached Images

Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-24-2011, 8:21 PM Reply   
Congrats! Why not TWB again? Something different? I hear F21's are a hot commodity these days......
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-25-2011, 10:44 AM Reply   
GD... I really like the design you came up with. Sometimes less is more! And yes, I like black and white boats... a lot!

Take a look at this one. It might be just what you're looking for (black/white F21). I like how it has a lot fewer black swoops than what you posted above. It just seems clean, less busy.

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=28443

Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-25-2011, 10:45 AM Reply   
Quote:
Congrats! Why not TWB again? Something different? I hear F21's are a hot commodity these days......
Good question... I just felt like mixing it up a bit. Enough of the boat will be same as my TWB... something has to be different!
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-25-2011, 11:13 AM Reply   
I like the new X graphic on the 21 Tomcat
Attached Images

Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-25-2011, 12:14 PM Reply   
Ian... I'm definitely looking at that boat as inspiration... thinking of mixing in some white up front.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-25-2011, 5:58 PM Reply   
The boat from the other thread modified per "less is more"...
Attached Images

Old     (nautigirls)      Join Date: Dec 2000       04-25-2011, 6:19 PM Reply   
Hey! Are you insulting my boat? I love it. Everyone likes what they like. Unless you are going to pay for it!
Old     (nautigirls)      Join Date: Dec 2000       04-25-2011, 6:46 PM Reply   
Now I remember why I stopped posting and looking on this site a few years ago. Too many haters and insulters. If you can't say something nice then don't say anything. I didn't post pictures of the new boat for a few weeks for just this reason. You pay a lot of money for a boat you love only to have someone insult it. I like how it looks. You don't have to. Won't be on this site again so flame away.
Old     (moon)      Join Date: Oct 2008       04-25-2011, 8:32 PM Reply   
nauti, I don't think GD was hating on your boat (it's bada by the way!!!), but from the sounds of it, and by the looks of ixfe's previous mb, he likes something a little more toned down. Too me, your boat really pops with the white, red, and black swooshs and maybe if yours was a little more toned down ixfe would like it too. I'm pretty sure GD was using your as an example with what could be done.
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-25-2011, 9:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
Now I remember why I stopped posting and looking on this site a few years ago. Too many haters and insulters. If you can't say something nice then don't say anything. I didn't post pictures of the new boat for a few weeks for just this reason. You pay a lot of money for a boat you love only to have someone insult it. I like how it looks. You don't have to. Won't be on this site again so flame away.
Yikes. I didnt read one negative comment directed at your new boat. Now your over-reaction, that might net some responses...

If someone actually did insult your boat, who cares? As long as your happy with it, thats all that matters right? The high levels of custom colors and schemes in the towboat industry point to the fact that different people like different things. Let people comment, it doesn't effect you enjoying the new boat in any way.

Last edited by MattieK27; 04-25-2011 at 9:14 PM.
Old     (jtech)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-25-2011, 11:05 PM Reply   
Quote:
I didn't post pictures of the new boat for a few weeks for just this reason.

IMO you can't live your life worrying about what other people think of you and your taste in boats, cars, etc. Most people are just looking for just that type of reaction to prove that they are right in some silly way. Heck, why we care what other people like when it comes to material items is beyond me.

Take the high road! Let the comments (good or bad) go, fill up the cooler and go for a ride!

-J
Old     (jtech)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-25-2011, 11:09 PM Reply   
IXFE,

Have you seen this one in person @ PSBC? I almost bought it before a Malibu caught my eye that fit my needs better. Very clean lines and the interior is very simple/clean as well.

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=27013
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-25-2011, 11:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtech View Post
IXFE,

Have you seen this one in person @ PSBC? I almost bought it before a Malibu caught my eye that fit my needs better. Very clean lines and the interior is very simple/clean as well.

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=27013
Yes! I have seen that boat on several occasions! I really like it. If I could fit a 23' boat in my garage I would probably buy it. I think it's damn sexy and one hellova deal for a 23' monster.

Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-25-2011, 11:37 PM Reply   
So I've been thinking a lot about my colors... I like black, white, and red accents. I also like MB's new "X" graphic.

What do you all think of these ideas? As you can see, I've based them off the Socal boat that MB built for the LA Boat Show. I just tried to mix in some white. The X's are supposed to be silver flake with red pin stripe outline.

I had to use the 23 TWB as my canvas since MB's design tool doesn't show the "X" pattern on the F21 yet. So use your imagination...

Feel free to propose others using the tool at http://www.mbsport.net

Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-26-2011, 12:10 AM Reply   
DBC, I really like your design ideas. I have always been a fan of gray/black combos. I think I dig the first one the most. Very nice!
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-26-2011, 12:16 AM Reply   
Nuatigirl, I meant no disrespect. I did not post the pics in your thread. I posted it in this thread because we are exploring lesser options. IMO, you kinda got all bothered up for no good reason. First off, I never said anything bad about your boat. Plus, you should feel good about your boat even if someone else may want something different. In truth, I think I actually like your boat more than the one I modified. But, hey, what the heck do I know.

Last edited by diamonddad; 04-26-2011 at 12:23 AM.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-26-2011, 12:31 AM Reply   
Nuatigirl, you will also notice that I made the exact same edit to your boat that I made to the back/white boat above. So, I simply wanted to see what the same edit looked like on a very different non-back-and-white boat.
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-26-2011, 7:30 AM Reply   
Ixfe: I like all of the color combo your posted. IMO, I would go with the all white top deck if you are going to have part of the top deck white. The main reason is that a black deck is going to get very hot in the sun. The back of the boat is where my kids jump off all of the time and I would not want them burning their feet.

FYI - I have an all red top deck and it still gets hot. I can not imagine what black would be like.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-26-2011, 7:39 AM Reply   
Coming from a guy with a solid black boat, don't hesitate to buy black so long as you keep an extra wet towel on the boat. I love the look of a black deck, and it's worth it to me to take the extra effort to simply splash some water on it to cool it off.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-26-2011, 8:20 AM Reply   
I'm not too worried about the deck getting hot. We live in Oregon and it's rairly very hot up here. It might be a concern the one week we spend at Shasta, but I see so many black boats around, is it really that big of deal?

I'm kind of leaning toward 2 or 3.

Oh, and I know I said this before, but the "X" won't be gray, it will be silver flake. Gray is just the closest color MB has on the design tool.
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-26-2011, 8:29 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfe View Post
I'm not too worried about the deck getting hot. We live in Oregon and it's rairly very hot up here.
Makes sense. I live in TX, so you rarely see anything but white top decks.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-26-2011, 8:29 AM Reply   
"Once you go black..............." Yeah it really is not that big of a deal here in Oregon. On hot days it does get pretty hot, but nothing an adult can't handle, but those days are few and far between. If you have the kids out on the boat and they are sensitive, I might put a bit more thought into it, but I have had several solid black top decks and it really is not that big of a deal up here. Probably would not do it down south, but it is not bad here.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-26-2011, 8:47 AM Reply   
I like number two the best so far but I would change the bottom to white so it ties in better with the top cap and change the tower to black is there any way you could do a pic of that combo as well for comparison
Old     (goodwin)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-26-2011, 9:30 AM Reply   
A silver flake "X" will be sweet, I like the 2nd color combo. Glad to hear you chose another MB!
Congrats
Old     (jtech)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-26-2011, 9:39 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfe View Post
Yes! I have seen that boat on several occasions! I really like it. If I could fit a 23' boat in my garage I would probably buy it. I think it's damn sexy and one hellova deal for a 23' monster.

Was thinking it was a good color combo for your new F21. I know you can't fit the 23' in your garage. I like the X graphic as well now that some people have got the colors matched up well. That orange and white one they made first were a bit off.

Are you going to upgrade the sound system?
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-26-2011, 9:40 AM Reply   
Sun is an issue where I live. And, my boat lives on a hoist year round. So, uneven fade is a concern. How does black stand up to the sun? Will it fade like all the other colors?
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-26-2011, 10:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler97217 View Post
"Once you go black..............." Yeah it really is not that big of a deal here in Oregon. On hot days it does get pretty hot, but nothing an adult can't handle, but those days are few and far between. If you have the kids out on the boat and they are sensitive, I might put a bit more thought into it, but I have had several solid black top decks and it really is not that big of a deal up here. Probably would not do it down south, but it is not bad here.
Thanks, Tyler. But you forgot to vote!
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-26-2011, 10:41 AM Reply   
I actually like the mostly white with some black accenting on it for the MB's. Like the ones GD posted. They all look great though....
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-26-2011, 11:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by h20king View Post
I like number two the best so far but I would change the bottom to white so it ties in better with the top cap and change the tower to black is there any way you could do a pic of that combo as well for comparison
The only issue there is that whatever color you pick for the back of the boat (the part where the MB logo is) is the same color the applies to the entire bottom of the boat... at least according to the MB design tool. I'm sure I could have them spray it white, if I really felt strongly about it.

I'm actually liking the black bottom. And I get what you're saying about having a tie to the white top deck. I'm thinking that tie could be my trailer... why not get a white trailer? I've always liked them, they are rare, and it would look great behind our new white Denali.

Here is a pic of a boat I almost bought during my last go around (2 years ago). Even though it was too small, I was really mesmorized by the white (top deck), black (hull), white (trailer). This is the sort of thing I'm going for.

What are your thoughts on this look and the white trailer??