Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 07, 2003

Old     (socaldave)      Join Date: May 2002       09-17-2003, 3:45 PM Reply   
OK, I am a knucklehead and have been "wrapping" my rope the wrong way...over the shoulder around the elbow technique. It has put small kinks/twists into the rope that come out when the rope is extended, but it's a bit tangled when we first take it out of storage.

Can these be taken out? Any advice on a better way to coil the rope?
Old     (cbv)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-17-2003, 3:47 PM Reply   
Me too, what is the right way?
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-17-2003, 4:00 PM Reply   
we had the same prob my dad showed me a way where u coil it. you get a coil, then when u grab the next 1 u like twist it. so say u grab with your right hand, and you left hand is holding the rope, grab with your right hand so your hand in open under the rope, grab the rope then bring ur right hand to ur left hand like your going to punch it that should make it over lap it self, you do this every other coil, when ur done u set it down, and u pull the top end, it comes out smoothly. i hope this helps
Old     (fuel)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-17-2003, 4:00 PM Reply   
Start up the boat and idle slowly. Uncurl your rope and throw the end you attach to your tower/pylon into the water. Hang onto the handle and let all of the slack out into the water, trailing behind the boat in a straight line. Then just roll it up. Basically, you are just rolling up the rope with the handle inside of the boat instead of rolling it up from the other end.

Don't know why this works, but whenever my yellowjacket line gets kinked, I just roll it up just like this and it always works.

Hope I helped. For something so easy to do, it was hard for me to explain.
Old    wakeboard_iraq            09-17-2003, 4:13 PM Reply   
Fuel, the reason that works is that the rope is un-twisting in the water as you pull it in. Wont work if the handle is in the water b/c the handle wont let the line untwist.

Its actually a fishing line trick. At the end of a long fishing trip (or at the beginning if you didnt do it at the end of last trip) you cut off your hook or jig or watever and let the line flow out behind the boat as the boat is moving. Since there is nothing on the end it will untwist itself. Then after a short while you reel in your line and it is untwisted and kink free.